GT500 vs Terminator comparo video

RageWorx

Established Member
I've been around for a bit but I don't post often ...... anyway heres a vid of the GT500 vs 03 Cobra at Willow Springs that I just had to bring to everyones attention.

* Link fixed but I want to thank Ryushin for posting the link *

GetSizedVideoThumb.ashx
[ame=http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H2H-Ep4-Shelby-Vs-Cobra_163963.htm]H2H Ep4, Shelby Vs. Cobra[/ame]

I'm not surprised by the outcome and I think if Sammy wasn't having soo much fun in the 03 Cobra the lap time would have been a bit better. Way closer than it should have been IMHO. Don't get me wrong I think the new GT500 is a cool car but I'm not wowed by it and yes I've driven a GT500 ... long live the Terminator :pop:

Last edited:

Ryushin

Established Member
I believe this might be the correct link:

[ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H2H-Ep5-GT500-Vs-SVT_164496.htm"]H2H Ep5, GT500 Vs. SVT Cobra - Video[/ame]

SlowSVT

Established Member
Hardly conclusive.

Seems like the comparison was based on a few laps and one run down the strip. I think the Shelby would have the upper hand in the drag race. They should have done several runs and switched drivers to get a better average. On the road course the type of track makes a big difference but I think the Shelby with the bigger engine would have an edge. Put a set of delrin bushings in the IRS and I think the outcome would have been very different on the streets of willow.

Fun factor to me is the end all. The test driver seemed a bit giddy behind the wheel of the Cobra. In the Shelby what came to mind was the ride quality. That does not surprise me. Can't go wrong with either car though. They are both heavy overpowered ponycars that share more similarities then differences.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hardly conclusive.

Seems like the comparison was based on a few laps and one run down the strip. I think the Shelby would have the upper hand in the drag race. They should have done several runs and switched drivers to get a better average. On the road course the type of track makes a big difference but I think the Shelby with the bigger engine would have an edge. Put a set of delrin bushings in the IRS and I think the outcome would have been very different on the streets of willow.

Fun factor to me is the end all. The test driver seemed a bit giddy behind the wheel of the Cobra. In the Shelby what came to mind was the ride quality. That does not surprise me. Can't go wrong with either car though. They are both heavy overpowered ponycars that share more similarities then differences.
Good comments! I have to say that I prefer the Terminator styling wise. But you can't overlook the engineering superiority of the GT-500. Just wish it had been a bit smaller and lighter.

brads1

Established Member
Hardly conclusive.

I'm pretty sure the 03 was only slow in the track trial because the driver literally had it drifting all the corners...

Good comments! I have to say that I prefer the Terminator styling wise. But you can't overlook the engineering superiority of the GT-500. Just wish it had been a bit smaller and lighter.

I wouldn't say there is anything too, "superior," in the engineering department on the gt500... It's rear suspension is ancient, and as you pointed out it's a heavy boat of a car.

Last edited:

SpectorV

Established Member
The bottom line is the terminator is not as good as the GT500... else ford would have really failed on it. Its not that far off (which imo sucks as i was hoping for more from the gt500 in stock form) but the gt500 is better.

brads1

Established Member
The bottom line is the terminator is not as good as the GT500... else ford would have really failed on it. Its not that far off (which imo sucks as i was hoping for more from the gt500 in stock form) but the gt500 is better.

Better in terms of what? Matter of taste? Hype, etc? What really makes it, "better," besides it's new... Is it really that improved?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Picking which car is better is pointless. Any deficiency between them can addressed with mods. For most of us all Ford is giving us a platform to build on. It up to each of us to make it better.

Not related to the subject at hand but to be honest I prefer the Terminator section over the GT500 (much more technical in nature). The Cobra has obtain "cult car" status. Most of the guys in here get there hands dirty and build there cars to the hilt. Most of the GT500 guys seem more concerned with production numbers, appearance issues, historical facts and feelings of transportational superiority:sleeping: Kinda like the difference between owning a Ducati and a GSXR..........I'll take a 1000R please :-D

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
Picking which car is better is pointless. Any deficiency between them can addressed with mods. For most of us all Ford is giving us a platform to build on. It up to each of us to make it better.

Not related to the subject at hand but to be honest I prefer the Terminator section over the GT500 (much more technical in nature). The Cobra has obtain "cult car" status. Most of the guys in here get there hands dirty and build there cars to the hilt. Most of the GT500 guys seem more concerned with production numbers, appearance issues, historical facts and feelings of transportational superiority:sleeping: Kinda like the difference between owning a Ducati and a GSXR..........I'll take a 1000R please :-D

Well because the buyers are completly different right now. I bet when the Shelby's price drop down, there'll be alot more younger people buying it and working on it just like the Terminators. And JW, you would rather have a 1000R rather than a Ducati 999 or a 1098 ?????????????

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Better in terms of what? Matter of taste? Hype, etc? What really makes it, "better," besides it's new... Is it really that improved?

Motor, chassis, suspension, transmission, clutch, braking, cooling, safety.

I'm sure there's more :read:

GA Terminator

Established Member
same driver, or best of the two, timed on road course and strip, for both cars. that might be interesting.

Screamin03Cobra

formerly 'pony2000gt'
Established Member
Yes it is....increased displacement and no head cooling problems at all. I am not sure if the piston/wall clearance is an issue on the 5.4L but I would think it is safe to say it is not. And it looks like 03 DSG beat me to it and added even more.

Users who are viewing this thread