GT500 vs Terminator comparo video

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Ford lied about the specs of the Terminator. Maybe for insurance reason or no doubt any Chevy can touch it.

When my car was new it put down 412 RWHP on a Dynojet. Mustang dyno maybe as much a 20 less. With just a CAI it was not 390 crank.
Jeff

Force4.6

Twice Bitten
Established Member
The GT500 is a better car. But by how much is up for grabs, depends on your opinion. I was surprised the Cobra won the overall and the drag test though, didn't think that was going to happen. Maybe the 3.31s in the GT500 hurt a little. I can say that I have driven my cobra on a few road courses now and I can say that it is a blast to drive.

Great video to watch though, and also

:rockon: Terminator!!!!!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The ONLY thing that kills the GT500 for me is the price! I can't believe that they are still getting $5-10K over sticker! If I could get a new one for the $43K MSRP, I'd consider it, but for $42K out the door you, can get a 2008 LS3 Vette.....hmmmmmmm!

but any of us would HAVE to get the Z51 package and that adds a few k more. still a killer deal for a sweet car. my buddy just bought one and it is sick! :rockon:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Excellent comments! I noticed they didn't smoke 'em at the drag race I think 'cause they were driving someone else's car they would have ran a little harder on both courses
I love the gt500 styling to bad they didn't make it lighter than the terminator.
The next level should be both cars with the exact same mods.
I think that a terminator is more of a "sleeper" than the 500 from the aspect that unless you know what to look for you don't know what it can do.The 500 is obvious as to what it is.[ hope that makes sense]

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Excellent comments! I noticed they didn't smoke 'em at the drag race I think 'cause they were driving someone else's car they would have ran a little harder on both courses
I love the gt500 styling to bad they didn't make it lighter than the terminator.
The next level should be both cars with the exact same mods.
I think that a terminator is more of a "sleeper" than the 500 from the aspect that unless you know what to look for you don't know what it can do.The 500 is obvious as to what it is.[ hope that makes sense]
Yes it made great sense.
Most people think the Terminator is just another run-of-mill V-6 Mustang.
That's just fine with me because the bling factor does nothing for me.
Just my personal preference I guess.
Jeff

BlownReptile

Established Member
I definitely prefer the Terminator. The 03/04s are modern legends, probably THE iconic classic muscle car of the last 20+ years in my opinion. The GT500 has a long way to go before it attains the cult and hobbyist heights of the Terminator

I also think the 03/04s look much better, but thats just me

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
My cobra is badass . . . I love driving it . . . but . . . I did have a 2006 Mustang GT before I bought mine. . . and let me say this . . . the newer stangs are much more refined and "comfy" . . .

my cobra is more of a muscle car . . .

it really depends on what you are looking for, speed with refinement . . . GT500

speed with muscle car feel . . . TERMINATOR all DAY

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Love both cars, but I totally understand why they picked the Terminator. The SN197's are definitely "technically" superior in terms of chassis, but they feel somewhat disconnected to me when I have driven them. The Term is like a friggin go-kart by comparison......FUN!!!

Last edited:

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Poor mans race car I think is a relative term. A 500 h.p. Term. can be had for 25k +/-
and will wax cars costing a lot more. The cars that can beat it is a f**ing short list.

racebronco2

Established Member
Love both cars, but I totally understand why they picked the Terminator. The SN197's are definitely "technically" superior in terms of chassis, but they feel somewhat disconnected to me when I have driven them. The Term is like a friggin go-kart by comparison......FUN!!!

Stock for stock they feel similar. Terminator having a better ride. Go-kart not by any means.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Motor, chassis, suspension, transmission, clutch, braking, cooling, safety.

I'm sure there's more :read:

and to think, the S197 chassis as it was originally built (the DEW chassis) had a well designed IRS and SLA front suspension.. too bad Duck Tran or what ever his name was put a shitty suspension into it..

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Good video and interesting comments. For those speaking of the markups on the Shelby's, below MSRP days are here, and here to stay. Atleast here in Socal. There are three dealers with 3-4 Shelby's each that are selling Shelby's below MSRP. I had a pick on one $2k below MSRP.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
My 04 Cobra is so good I couldn't bring to sell it when I picked up my 05 Viper.

The car is awesome!

And now that I started modding it (it has been stock for the almost 3 years I've had it!!) it's even better!!

LOVE THIS CAR!!

Jroc

Established Member
I think GT500's are better cars, but not $10,000+(when you start adding options) MSRP better cars. Atleast not performance wise.

BTW do GT500's have knock sensors unlike Terminators?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread