GT500, Z06, Nissan GT-R road course review

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
Looks like a fair assessment. All things considered that is some pricey competition so I did not expect the GT500 to outperform the other two cars there but it was fun to watch and hear the racer's feedback.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfzqmpQQfOs&feature=feedu"]YouTube - GT-R vs Z06 vs GT500: 5-Figure Supercar Shootout![/nomedia]

Enjoy the video and great job Motor Trend!!!

Fastlane Cobra

Established Member
The drag race to go with the road course review. If I had $100K to spend I know which one I would take........hint: It has stripes from nose to tail.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNT2UijpCMs&feature=channel"]YouTube - Drag Race! 2012 Nissan GT-R vs 2011 Chevy Corvette Z06 vs 2011 Shelby GT500[/nomedia]

Enjoy

GT500NN

Established Member
He called the engine in the Shelby a "Boss 302 V-8"...

I noticed that also...

I wish motortrend and car and driver would atleast mention the cheap aftermarket for the GT500. A $600 pulley swap and tune and it would run with the Z06! I understand that isn't what this comparison is about but it was a main factor for me while having the GT500 vs Z06 debate a few months ago.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Good video.. I still like that they are comparing a GT500 to a loaded out carbon edition z06.. Oh and the loaded out carbon z06 is waay more than 70k lol.. But great vid none the less.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
I noticed that also...

I wish motortrend and car and driver would atleast mention the cheap aftermarket for the GT500. A $600 pulley swap and tune and it would run with the Z06! I understand that isn't what this comparison is about but it was a main factor for me while having the GT500 vs Z06 debate a few months ago.

also noticed the boss 302 comment.

+1 on aftermarket parts...
55k + full griggs > z06

Grabber07'

Established Member
I believe the other 2 besides the GT500 are using far superior brake pads. And the article did mention the Z06 with all the upgrades is around $97,000 I believe. WOW. I was impressed with the GTR, but there is just something about this Shelby that moves me.

LR 01 Cobra

Founding Member
Established Member
Is this 1320 number the same as what you guys are seeing? I'm guessing the GT 500 is faster than that using my car as a gauge. Because my stock LS3 C6 ran 12.5 @ 115.3 with 114 less HP. I'd think 114 HP would add up to more than tenth even though the GT 500 weighs more.
Not flaming just asking a question. I have a 2011 on order.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm not unhappy with the results, as the driver was dead on with his analysis. The GT500 should have lost, as it was clearly out gunned in OEM form. What can you expect from a car that sells for 20K less than the Z06 and 40K less than the GTR?

Heck, the Z06 guys are complaining that it was unfair the car was not ran with the electronics and traction circuit turned on. They didn't like their car being called a "handful to drive".

The Shelby would have required an aftermarket suspension, 2.6" pulley, CAI, and tune to compete with the Z06 and GTR in the 1/4 mile and road course. Although, with that being said, owners of the other cars would cry that the Shelby isn't in OEM form and makes the test "unfair", despite the 20K and 40K price gap.

Is this 1320 number the same as what you guys are seeing? I'm guessing the GT 500 is faster than that using my car as a gauge. Because my stock LS3 C6 ran 12.5 @ 115.3 with 114 less HP. I'd think 114 HP would add up to more than tenth even though the GT 500 weighs more.
Not flaming just asking a question. I have a 2011 on order.

The Shelby's downfall in the 1/4 mile are street tires, it can't hook up. That's why it's a 12 second car in OEM form. My car sucked so bad until I put better shoes on, then it was an entirely different story.

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I'm not unhappy with the results, as the driver was dead on with his analysis. The GT500 should have lost, as it was clearly out gunned in OEM form. What can you expect from a car that sells for 20K less than the Z06 and 40K less than the GTR?

Heck, the Z06 guys are complaining that it was unfair the car was not ran with the electronics and traction circuit turned on. They didn't like their car being called a "handful to drive".

The Shelby would have required an aftermarket suspension, 2.6" pulley, CAI, and tune to compete with the Z06 and GTR in the 1/4 mile and road course. Although, with that being said, owners of the other cars would cry that the Shelby isn't in OEM form and makes the test "unfair", despite the 20K and 40K price gap.

The Shelby's downfall in the 1/4 mile are street tires, it can't hook up. That's why it's a 12 second car in OEM form. My car sucked so bad until I put better shoes on, then it was an entirely different story.

I was not surprised by the test results either. With no IRS, no AWD, and for the most part a primative car in comparision to the latest technology of the GT-R and Premier American Sports Car, what could be expected?

It was also mentioned a couple of times that the GT500 seemed to do a "one wheel peel" and the positraction may have not been working properly, but that would not have saved the day.

I wonder how performance of the ZR1 compares to the Z06 CF? That is the question. My guess is even better?

R

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
That was a cool comparison and the opinion of the test driver makes a lot of sense. The most misleading part of the video, however, was the mention that the Corvette was $70k. If you watch the seperate quarter-mile drag race video... it shows that the true price as tested for the Vette was $98k :eek: with the high performance and light weight options that contributed to the final performance of the car. The whole purpose for mentioning only the base price in this video is to mislead the audience into believing there is some measure of 'value' in the Corvette. It would have sounded worse to have the Corvette get outperformed by a cheaper car... which, in reality, is exactly what happened.

With that being said, I would be more likely to go for the Vette than the Nissan anyway. At least the Vette is an American car from an American car company.

With THAT being said, the only one of this trio I would actually purchase myself is the Mustang. It is made by the last 'free' (i.e. not state owned) car company in America. The fact that the Shelby is even in a comparison with cars TWICE the price is a subtle but noteworthy compliment. A modern execution of old-school technology yeilded performance in the same ballpark as these carbon fiber, high tech sports cars. How amazing is that!?

Upper class performance at a middle-class price. This is THE new musclecar era. Enjoy it while is lasts.

Last edited:

Joshua484

Established Member
I really enjoyed this comparison, and like many others, didn't expect the GT500 to win.

One of my favorite things about this comparison is when the driver was talking about how much FUN the GT500 was to drive. The Corvette was a handful, and the GT-R was very precise and fast, but you could tell the GT500 was fun for him to drive.

Also this track was fairly small, fairly tight with many turns. As you get to larger tracks the advantage swings from the GT-R with the AWD to the Corvette for it's brute speed and killer power to weight ratio.

You could have this 3 way comparison in a Walmart parking lot with cones in it (small auto-x) and have a 3 way tie.... LOL

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
With THAT being said, the only one of this trio I would actually purchase myself is the Mustang. It is made by the last 'free' (i.e. not state owned) car company in America. The fact that the Shelby is even in a comparison with cars TWICE the price is a subtle but noteworthy compliment. A modern execution of old-school technology yeilded performance in the same ballpark as these carbon fiber, high tech sports cars. How amazing is that!?

Upper class performance at a middle-class price. This is THE new musclecar era. Enjoy it while is lasts.

These are the same comments I made when the 2000 Cobra R (with it's 1979 FOX underpinnings, except the IRS) was compared to a "then new" Z06 with modern up to date technology, not to mention the lighter weight factor of the Z06, thinner glass, etc.

Yes, the bottom line is that the GT500 is a Mustang (not a hi-tech sports car), there is not magic, in reality it is a Mustang with big horse power, solid axle and suspension that is what it is, for a heavy car with the adds to get a Mustang to that higher performance level. For a Mustang to even be in the arena with these much higher end/hi-tech cars says much for the SVT Group and the GT500 level Mustang.

R

Users who are viewing this thread