H&R Super Sports Springs Problem

crr084

Established Member
another before springs:
IMG_0495.gif

mysteed

Established Member
Wow, that's not anything like what I was expecting to see when you posted pics. With the springs you have that's a fairly common drop though your exhaust does hang a bit low.

crr084

Established Member
major bummer. Would've figured with the isos it wouldn't have sat this low.. So anyone want to buy a nearly brand new set of H&R Super Sports after I take them out? :-D

ILUVmy1998Cobra

Established Member
Welcome to my world brother. I have the H&R SS springs in my 98 cobra with MM shocks and struts and I cant even fit a pack of cigs, standing, underneath the cats. I scrape on these kind entrances constantly in Florida and can only get around a few select speed tables. speed bumps are a whole other story... I tried replacing the back iso's and it made a considerable difference (top and bottom). However, somehow I misplaced the front iso's and thus, cannot testify for or against their efficacy.

MeNmySN95

Established Member
ya, even when I lowered mine, it seemed lower than usual / advertised. Roll with it and be more careful, dont plow over shit. :beer:

luke87gt

Established Member
A side profile shot would be helpful.

I don't see anything abnormal in what you have shown so far other than your exhaust system does not tuck well. Part of that is due to the manufacturing of the pipe, and part of it is likely attributed to install. You can sometimes increase clearance by jacking up the exhaust just a hair before torquing down the bolts.

I think you had everyone expecting that the car was slammed to the floor, lol. Big surprise, it's normal! ;-)

Cheers,
Luke

Last edited:

T.Bone

Established Member
Can you pull a measurement from the ground to the fender? I would like to see if it is any lower than my current ride height before I do all the work to put these in my car.

Mine is around 26 1/2 in the back and 26 in the front.

Front:
97-FrontHeight.jpg

Back:
97-RearHeight.jpg

Thanks

crr084

Established Member
Can you pull a measurement from the ground to the fender? I would like to see if it is any lower than my current ride height before I do all the work to put these in my car.

Mine is around 26 1/2 in the back and 26 in the front.

Front:
97-FrontHeight.jpg

Back:
97-RearHeight.jpg

Thanks

Not a problem, I'll take a quick shot of it tonight when I get off around 10 and throw it on the forum for you to see. Since I will be doing this again because its a little lower than what I expected I'm probably going to sell these and go w/ Ford Racings C springs or the H&R Race Springs, even if its just .5 inch more thatd help.

As far as install of the exhaust, it was done at a very reputable exhaust shop. Call it a poor design or who knows.. lol. Today on the way back from a break the cars power seat went out, ordering a new switch now. It never ends..

ZeroDCX

Established Member
If it helps, here's my set up.

Stock:
IMG_0872.jpg

H&R SS Springs w/ stock ISOs all around and stock struts:
IMG_0942.jpg

Your setup seems normal IMO. Also my cats rub on speed bumps ... (stock exhaust still). I proceed really slowly without issues.

Last edited:

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
That looks normal. get an alignment, it should help.

Here's a pic of mine with the SS springs and poly isos on all 4 corners.

Harpoon78.jpg

crr084

Established Member
Just wanted to THANK EVERYONE again for your opinions. The car was Realigned today and IT DID help significantly, especially with the angles from the cc plates. In addition, my friend also busted things back open and rechecked the work done, thinking he adjusted something on the isolators and again the CC plates. Heres a few more pictures which in my opinion look entirely different than just last nights. Need advise on window tint next. Illinois has this awesome law of no less than 35% all around.. Just took with the iphone, whichever is the greater distance is the rear of the car.
photo3.gif

photo2.gif

photo.gif

Last edited:

crr084

Established Member
Yup, those last two pics confirm it... 100% as expected normal.

Kudos to H&R for their consistency!

No problem found. :D

I'll be the first to admit, after the CC plates were readjusted and the car realigned there is a noticeable difference. Just look at the fender gap measurements I took last night compared to the night before, its at least 1/2 an inch to 3/4 an inch better which when it comes to breaking off something underneath the car may make the difference. So I'm going with owner error on this one. H&R you make a solid product and thanks AM.

Bballplayanick

K1ng C0bRa
Established Member
I just installled the H&R Sport Springs on my 2003 Cobra and Im having the same problem. My rear dropped about 1.5 - 2 inches compared to my front only dropping about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Its almost a reversed look for what I was going for. I called H&R and they claim that there is no settling involved with their springs and once theyre installed thats the way they look. Im not happy with the stance at all. Their estimated mesasurements were off by a a lot! They look nothing like the pictures that I saw of just H&R SS springs installed and nothing else. What should I do?

Lazered98

PAH!
Established Member
Now you need some wider rims or a spacer in the rear to give it that wide stance look. Trust me it looks tons better with the spacers or wider rims and tires.

mysteed

Established Member
I just installled the H&R Sport Springs on my 2003 Cobra and Im having the same problem. My rear dropped about 1.5 - 2 inches compared to my front only dropping about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch. Its almost a reversed look for what I was going for. I called H&R and they claim that there is no settling involved with their springs and once theyre installed thats the way they look. Im not happy with the stance at all. Their estimated mesasurements were off by a a lot! They look nothing like the pictures that I saw of just H&R SS springs installed and nothing else. What should I do?
Are you sure you have the correct springs in the front and the back? It's easy to get the them swapped around. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread