Had 305/35-20 Nitto 555r drag radials put on my SVTPP wheels

STCobra

STREDEYE
Established Member
none of my cars have ever seen rain. If there's even a hint of a cloud, I get a ride-lol. If i'm a work and it gets cloudy, home here I come. I own my own business so it's easy for me but I know not everyone can do that...

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
I just ordered some 305/35/20's in a Nitto 555R, can't wait to take it to the track. I went with the steeda tri-ax shifter too, so hopefully I can bang second with no grind and hook. Track opens up this weekend, i'll let you all know what the difference is.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I just ordered some 305/35/20's in a Nitto 555R, can't wait to take it to the track. I went with the steeda tri-ax shifter too, so hopefully I can bang second with no grind and hook. Track opens up this weekend, i'll let you all know what the difference is.

I can tell you that unless the track is prepped VERY well, you will not hook up too good with the 20" 555rs at the track.

But some info before you run. Run about 20psi, 5-6sec burnout, and you probably won't be able to launch any higher than 3000rpm or so.. Its pretty much either spin, or bog.

These tires are loads better than reg street tires on the street though. So for street driving, I recommend them highly.. plus good rain performance. Track.. not so much. I just received some 15x10's I am going to put x275 Et Street Pro's on for the track.

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
All last season i had to launch just off idle (1000-1200rpm), ease into the throttle and granny shift to second to keep the thing from destroying the stock goodyear supercars...i wonder if I can hit WOT in 1st with these :)

we'll see how it goes, i just hope these are worth the price!

Poppacapp

Established Member
All last season i had to launch just off idle (1000-1200rpm), ease into the throttle and granny shift to second to keep the thing from destroying the stock goodyear supercars...i wonder if I can hit WOT in 1st with these :)

we'll see how it goes, i just hope these are worth the price!

On a hot day you might be able to wot 1st. Temps now at 40's-50's if I hit WOT in 1st they light up on the street, and when I hit 2nd hard they spin.. have to feather them. If I hit 2nd at 40mph roll, they most of the time will spin a little. 3rd and 4th hook very well. Plus when the tires DO spin, the car tracks straight rather than wanting to go sideways as much like with the goodyears. The are leaps and bounds better than the Goodyears.. you will love them... they are just not an ideal track launching tire.

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
On a hot day you might be able to wot 1st. Temps now at 40's-50's if I hit WOT in 1st they light up on the street, and when I hit 2nd hard they spin.. have to feather them. If I hit 2nd at 40mph roll, they most of the time will spin a little. 3rd and 4th hook very well. Plus when the tires DO spin, the car tracks straight rather than wanting to go sideways as much like with the goodyears. The are leaps and bounds better than the Goodyears.. you will love them... they are just not an ideal track launching tire.

Thanks for the info!

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
I can tell you that unless the track is prepped VERY well, you will not hook up too good with the 20" 555rs at the track.

But some info before you run. Run about 20psi, 5-6sec burnout, and you probably won't be able to launch any higher than 3000rpm or so.. Its pretty much either spin, or bog.

These tires are loads better than reg street tires on the street though. So for street driving, I recommend them highly.. plus good rain performance. Track.. not so much. I just received some 15x10's I am going to put x275 Et Street Pro's on for the track.

you have a link to the wheels you ordered?

Poppacapp

Established Member
you have a link to the wheels you ordered?

The wheels? Or tires? I got the Racestar 94 series darks for my rear. You can see tuem on the racestar site. On my phone right now. The et street pros i am getting from summit racing. But i dont recommend those for street use.

Here is a picturr of one of my wheels:

2013-03-28_11-27-53_412_zps4ef9090d.jpg

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
Those wheels look great!

I took it out to the track today and shaved off almost half a second with better tires and the shifter...no more 1-2 grind with the steeda tri-ax!!!

I ran them at 22 psi all day, so next time i'll try to drop it down a bit and see if I can come off the line a little harder. I think I could see a 1.7 60ft with the drag radials

60' 1.835
1/8 7.509 @ 97.38mph
1/4 11.520 @ 123.33

here are a couple of videos from today

11.52 @123.33 inside car - YouTube

11.64 @ 123 New England Dragway - YouTube

railroad

Established Member
Like your tires. Probably will wear out the GYs before making the swap. Any reason the yellow dot was mounted opposite the valve stem?

Poppacapp

Established Member
Like your tires. Probably will wear out the GYs before making the swap. Any reason the yellow dot was mounted opposite the valve stem?

I love them for street driving. Track, not so much. I have no idea about the yellow dot.. what's it mean? I thought it was just a manufacturing mark.

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
it's a marker for where you're supposed to put the valve stem. it's not that big of a deal tho.

Rascal

Established Member

Poppacap,

What is the part # from Summit for those wheels and do you know the backspacing?

Thanks.
-Rascal

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member

I had some great runs with the new tires. I ran them at 24 lbs of pressure and was able to get 1.835 60 ft with an et of 11.52 @ 123mph. That's almost half a second quicker than I ran with the stock tires. I think with some more seat time (i only had time for 4-5 runs) i can get that ET down to the 11.30-11.40 range!

I'm thoroughly impressed with these tires on the street and the track. They hook better, ride better, and the car goes much straighter during wheel spin situations :)

Will probably be headed out to the track next weekend, so hopefully I can dial in the pressure and get some better runs in.

Thanks for all the info guys, 100% recommend these tires in this size!

Poppacapp

Established Member
Poppacap,

What is the part # from Summit for those wheels and do you know the backspacing?

Thanks.
-Rascal

The wheels I ordered are the Racestar 94 Series Darks. 15x10 w/ 7.5" backspacing. Not sure about the GT's but on the GT500 7.5 backspace range is where you want to be. I looked at a cheap route to go for track only wheels, and looked at Jegs brand stars...only 134.00 but they only have them in 6.5" bs.. which would stick out 1 inch more than the 7.5s. I wouldn't think that was a huge deal..but not sure.. would have to see pics of a 6.5" bs set on a s197.

Here is a link to the wheels I got:

Race Star Industries - 2012 Catalog

Part Number - 94-510354 DDS

They are dual drilled, so they will work with both Ford and Chevy if you ever decide to sell them. They are NOT unilug, and I personally would stay away from unilug wheels. Pain in the butt to get on and off.

You can find good deals on these wheels through Team Beefcake Racing, or modifymystang... good bit less than retail price, and they currently have a $25.00 per rim manufacturers rebate.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I had some great runs with the new tires. I ran them at 24 lbs of pressure and was able to get 1.835 60 ft with an et of 11.52 @ 123mph. That's almost half a second quicker than I ran with the stock tires. I think with some more seat time (i only had time for 4-5 runs) i can get that ET down to the 11.30-11.40 range!

I'm thoroughly impressed with these tires on the street and the track. They hook better, ride better, and the car goes much straighter during wheel spin situations :)

Will probably be headed out to the track next weekend, so hopefully I can dial in the pressure and get some better runs in.

Thanks for all the info guys, 100% recommend these tires in this size!

Congrats! Good runs! 60ft not too bad... How are you launching? rpm? quick clutch slip?

My local 1/8th mile track does not hook very well.. another one in the area hooks like you are on superglue. :) Went there, and managed a 1.75 60ft, but ground 2nd.. not great run.. only 7.58 1/8th mile... what was your 1/8th et and mph is you don't mind me asking? I have not had a chance to go the a 1/4 mile yet.. and within 2 weeks will have a Mcleod RXT clutch, and 26x10 slicks on my track wheels. Should be interesting :)

_mach_

Proud 2012 GT500 0wner
Established Member
my 1/8 was 7.509 @ 97.38 MPH.

here is a video of the 11.52 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRnf9Ymp1E

another of a 11.60 pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qRnf9Ymp1E

I know I can cut a couple 10th's off with a better launch and 1-2 shift.

I feel your pain with the grind, it was so bad with the stock shifter that I still don't trust the 1-2...having to re-train myself to trust that it'll go in. I've not had a grind issue with the Tri-Ax, but i only had about 5 runs at the track, and there aren't any roads around here I feel comfortable power shifting 1-2.

Good luck with the new set up, hopefully you already have a shifter in there, that made a HUGE difference in my car. Let me know how you do!

Congrats! Good runs! 60ft not too bad... How are you launching? rpm? quick clutch slip?

My local 1/8th mile track does not hook very well.. another one in the area hooks like you are on superglue. :) Went there, and managed a 1.75 60ft, but ground 2nd.. not great run.. only 7.58 1/8th mile... what was your 1/8th et and mph is you don't mind me asking? I have not had a chance to go the a 1/4 mile yet.. and within 2 weeks will have a Mcleod RXT clutch, and 26x10 slicks on my track wheels. Should be interesting :)

1320 Junkie

Established Member
If u don't mind a slight bit more bulge the 315/35/20 NT05R's are also a great tire..fit in the wheel well also on stock svtpp suspension..below is a vid of them on my car 15.5psi warm.

Jay 101512_10.9 - YouTube

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread