Had a good day at the track today - New Personal Best!

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
For the past 3 weeks I have been going to Great Lakes Dragaway in order to see if I can't run a good time with my 2007 GT500. Prior to today, I ran a 10.818 1/4 mile with a 1.697 60 foot on 9/10/11. Added boost, changed spark plugs, and added skinny tires and bogarts on the front and went back out on 9/23/11. My best ET was a 10.792 with a terrible 60 foot of 1.847.

On my final run on 9/23/11, my car seemed to be acting up. It was doing some surging and the car only went 122 mph. A video of that run can be seen on youtube against a ZR1 on Mickey Thompson 345/18 ET Street radials:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2YzZ9VUSmo"]Alex Test and Tune - YouTube[/nomedia]

I was a bit discouraged with how my car was acting, so I contacted the experts in hopes of diagnosing the problem. Talked to my tuner, Jon Lund, and he suggested that it was the spark plugs. Also spoke with Van at Revan Racing. Van gave my good information about the different plug that I should be running, along with the correct gap.

Installed the plugs myself this time, to make sure they were installed with the proper gap. With some extra help from Jon Lund before I went out to the track, he put my car in a position to run a much improved time from last outing.

My best results today (10/2): A 10.447 at 134.52 mph! Managed a 1.589 60 foot!! I was pretty happy with that, especially because my car is still quite heavy, and the only suspension mods that I have currently done are BMR upper/lower control arms and relocation brackets.

As you can see from the time slip below by .101. On my final run, I was the very last car before the track closed down. Managed to get a perfect .000 reaction time!!

My ultimate goal is to run a 9.99, and based upon my my results today, I sense that it may be within reach with some weight savings and suspension mods. Also considering upgrading my Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials to a stiff sidewall ET Drag slick. Quest for 9's is still alive!!

Special thanks to Jon Lund for working with me on such a quick turnaround time, so I could go to the track today and have a great day. Also, thanks again to Van for pointing me on the right direction to the colder plugs.

Lastly, thanks to KG/Eleanor for taking the extensive time to discuss mods and expected results with me this year. It is good to have a friend that has the mod-bug almost as much as me :beer:

timeslip_10_2.jpg

greatlakes_10_2.jpg

KG/Eleanor

Established Member
Congrats

Pretty solid for a stock suspension and stock engine.

I believe that their is a prize of some sort for that .000 reaction time. Am I Right (GLD)Greg and BJ?

Last edited:

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thanks Kali. I was hoping for a bit of $ for the perfect reaction time, considering it was $45 to enter and the price I paid for gas. They were having index racing today, and the track was packed with people.

I did get an excited hand shake from the guy manning the time slips on the return :)

Van@RevanRacing

For the past 3 weeks I have been going to Great Lakes Dragaway in order to see if I can't run a good time with my 2007 GT500. Prior to today, I ran a 10.818 1/4 mile with a 1.697 60 foot on 9/10/11. Added boost, changed spark plugs, and added skinny tires and bogarts on the front and went back out on 9/23/11. My best ET was a 10.792 with a terrible 60 foot of 1.847.

On my final run on 9/23/11, my car seemed to be acting up. It was doing some surging and the car only went 122 mph. A video of that run can be seen on youtube against a ZR1 on Mickey Thompson 345/18 ET Street radials:

Alex Test and Tune - YouTube

I was a bit discouraged with how my car was acting, so I contacted the experts in hopes of diagnosing the problem. Talked to my tuner, Jon Lund, and he suggested that it was the spark plugs. Also spoke with Van at Revan Racing. Van gave my good information about the different plug that I should be running, along with the correct gap.

Installed the plugs myself this time, to make sure they were installed with the proper gap. With some extra help from Jon Lund before I went out to the track, he put my car in a position to run a much improved time from last outing.

My best results today (10/2): A 10.447 at 134.52 mph! Managed a 1.589 60 foot!! I was pretty happy with that, especially because my car is still quite heavy, and the only suspension mods that I have currently done are BMR upper/lower control arms and relocation brackets.

As you can see from the time slip below by .101. On my final run, I was the very last car before the track closed down. Managed to get a perfect .000 reaction time!!

My ultimate goal is to run a 9.99, and based upon my my results today, I sense that it may be within reach with some weight savings and suspension mods. Also considering upgrading my Mickey Thompson ET Street Radials to a stiff sidewall ET Drag slick. Quest for 9's is still alive!!

Special thanks to Jon Lund for working with me on such a quick turnaround time, so I could go to the track today and have a great day. Also, thanks again to Van for pointing me on the right direction to the colder plugs.

Lastly, thanks to KG/Eleanor for taking the extensive time to discuss mods and expected results with me this year. It is good to have a friend that has the mod-bug almost as much as me :beer:

timeslip_10_2.jpg

greatlakes_10_2.jpg

Good job. Tape up the ram air induction and your MPH will increase.

Van

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thx again Van!

Thanks again for the extra tip Van. Will do!

As always, the great info that you have been willing to share is much appreciated :rockon:

Van@RevanRacing

Thanks again for the extra tip Van. Will do!

As always, the great info that you have been willing to share is much appreciated :rockon:

Going fast is what it's all about.

We need to get you a roll of helitape.

Goes on easy. Doesn't affect the paint and peels right of with no residue.

We use it on the Texas Mile Super Snake and other cars. Aero is everything.

Van

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thanks quadedaddy - much appreciated! Your quarter mile and mph are exactly where I hope to be one day :)

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Helitape

Helitape sounds like it could be good thing to get. I will give you a ring early in the week about getting some of that. Also would like to talk to you about possibly getting some suspension stuff from you.

Talk to you soon Van :thumbsup:

Going fast is what it's all about.

We need to get you a roll of helitape.

Goes on easy. Doesn't affect the paint and peels right of with no residue.

We use it on the Texas Mile Super Snake and other cars. Aero is everything.

Van

Quade

Old Man.
Established Member
Thanks quadedaddy - much appreciated! Your quarter mile and mph are exactly where I hope to be one day :)

I'm sure you'll get it. That is some pretty good driving and I just compensate for my lack of driving with a lot of power lol.

cobra gt 07

Will Go 8's Eventually
Established Member
Thanks Andy

Thanks Andy - I'm glad that you had mentioned the alternative gaps for the plugs in our PM's. That put me on the right course to discover I needed different plugs when talking to Van.

Darth Racer

Established Member

What type differential are you using? OEM? Spool? I had my limited slip malfunction.....only one tire spinning on burnout. I'm using MT 28x10.5x15W (11 in tread width) with OEM differential. It lasted only 8 passes.

Users who are viewing this thread