Handgun opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

charged98cobra

Legal gru
Established Member
I have been looking for a good handgun for home protection and to occasionally carry. Thought about a beretta compact 9mm or .40 Maybe a .380 auto. I do like the Ruger .45 Auto. Any opinions? I need a pistol with decient stopping power, fairly light weight and relatively compact. Sometimes I have to work at night and I need some protection.

steed76

Established Member
i carry a Kimber Custom 1911 .45 and love it, well balanced, night sights, low recoil... good piece.

BittenInBama

Established Member
I just got a custom 45 ACP (Lightweight Aluminum frame, Commander Length Barrel, etc) cant imagine a much better handgun for carry/concealment/stopping power. Not a 9mm fan when it comes to stopping power. Sorry.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
The .380 is generally considered as inadequate as a personal protection firearm (unless you hit a vital spot). Both the 9mm and .40 are high-velocity rounds that may penetrate walls and hit unintended targets. My personal recommendation (other than a shotgun) for in-home protection is a .45 revolver (.45 Colt or .45 ACP) or .45 ACP semi-auto (revolver if you're not going to practice) using frangible ammo such as Glaser.

SVT GT

Established Member
Look into a 40 cal. you will have more in the clip then your average 45 and better stopping power than a average 9mm. A Glock 23 is a nice piece, also so is a Heckler & Koch USP 40, Sig-Sauer 229 40 cal an Smith & Wesson 4006 40 cal or the Smith & Wesson Sigma SW40F. Either of these are a good choice, but its up to you and how it feels...good luck in whatever gun or caliber you choose

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Kahr 40cal Polymer micro series...
or Glock 40cal

Mines the old stainless Micro very nice quality though shoots great very accurate for it's tiny size...
Very thin frame width... very easy to conceal...

SmallerKahr.jpg

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
harry gilbert said:
The .380 is generally considered as inadequate as a personal protection firearm (unless you hit a vital spot). Both the 9mm and .40 are high-velocity rounds that may penetrate walls and hit unintended targets. My personal recommendation (other than a shotgun) for in-home protection is a .45 revolver (.45 Colt or .45 ACP) or .45 ACP semi-auto (revolver if you're not going to practice) using frangible ammo such as Glaser.

I was under the impression that the .45 and .40 were in the "big and slow" category of penetration but not perferation...

Strictly for home defense where you want knockdown power go with the .45 auto. colt 1911 design. Simple, effective and fun to shoot.

If you want home defense and carryability: Glock. Jimmy knows his feces!

Last edited:

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
My dad just got a ruger p94 (9mm). not the greatest CC handgun, but it has a bulit in laser sight(option), polymer handles, grip, rail, only the barrel is steel.

I would also consider the Colt Defender (.45ACP). This one is a scaled down concealed carry version of the 1911. aluminum body, with hogue rubber grips, tactical sights, trigger, also comes with 3 different safety mechanisms. Also it handles the recoil amazingly well. There is a nice replacement guiding pin which houses a laser sight. This is my top rec. for a CCW/home protection weapon.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
charged98cobra said:
What are the differences in the .380 and the 9mm?

The .380 auto is known as a 9mm Kurz (German for short). Bullet diameter is .355" generally 90-100grains weight, velocity 750 to 1000 fps.

The 9mm is also known as 9x19mm or 9mm Parabellum. It, too, uses a .355" bullet from 90-147grains in weight, velocity up to 1350 fps. Since energy is mass x velocity squared, the 9mm is much more powerful than the .380.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
ElGato said:
I was under the impression that the .45 and .40 were in the "big and slow" category of penetration but not perferation...

Strictly for home defense where you want knockdown power go with the .45 auto. colt 1911 design. Simple, effective and fun to shoot.

If you want home defense and carryability: Glock. Jimmy knows his feces!

Well, I get 1100fps out of a .45 using 155 grain wadcutters. They zip right through bowling pins. The .45 ACP and .40 S&W are generally considered to have comparable terminal ballistics (the effect on the target), but the .45 can push a heavier slug. Some 230-grain hollowpoints are known as "flying ashtrays" amd have significant stopping power.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
harry gilbert said:
The .45 ACP and .40 S&W are generally considered to have comparable terminal ballistics (the effect on the target), but the .45 can push a heavier slug.
Thanks, thats what I had heard also. Flying ashtrays? Sounds like my ex :rolling:

btw, I dig badgers too.

cobra29svt

Established Member
not a big fan of the 9mm's either. i like the .40 cal. newest purchase was a springfield XD-40 sub-compact. highly recommend it. as for the above comment on the 40cal's penetrating more interior walls, the 45 will go through just as many. here is a pic of my XD-40 w/ hi-cap mag

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
charged98cobra said:
I have been looking for a good handgun for home protection and to occasionally carry. Thought about a beretta compact 9mm or .40 Maybe a .380 auto. I do like the Ruger .45 Auto. Any opinions? I need a pistol with decient stopping power, fairly light weight and relatively compact. Sometimes I have to work at night and I need some protection.

For home protection there is nothing better than a pump shotgun! Just the noise of racking the weapon is enough to deter criminals. Plus you dont need much accuracy, which is a concern when adrenalin is pumping.

If you want an ease of operation handgun, the easiest handgun and most reliable will be a Glock.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
BTW Harry is VERY knowledgable on this stuff!!!

I like the Kahrs because I carry...

There are some new single stack 45s that are very concealable...if they were available when I was in the market I probably would have bought one of them.

A 230 hollow point is a rather compelling argument .... or should I say threat stopper!

Flying ash tray is about right!!!

A 165 grain 40 is what I use I'm not too worried about over penetrating... it's just my wife and I now...

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
Plus you dont need much accuracy, which is a concern when adrenalin is pumping.
If you can't effectively aim a firearm under extreme, or even minimal stress; you have no business carrying a firearm. However I understand what you're trying to say but there is absolutely NO room for error when guns are involved. There is always difficulty in firearm-related situations, but you must have FULL control or that gun should NOT even clear your holster. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :bored:

-Mike

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
This is my favorite, the Sig Sauer P229. A little pricey but dead accurate, and reliable as hell!! Comes in 9mm, .357, and .40 cal.

229.jpg

-Mike

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread