Handgun opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
I've always felt sig is like the Rolls Royce of Dumptrucks. Pricey, ugly, going on reputation yet will get the job done. I lump sig in with baretta and taurus.

Cobra29, that Springfield is sweet. They've come a long way from the .45 1911 line

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
I loved my Glock 19 midsize 9mm...very accurate, very light and very durable. Excellent resale value as well. Sig Sauer is top of the line IMO, but they are fairly heavy and for larger hands. Can't beat that Glock perfection.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sonik Blur said:
If you can't effectively aim a firearm under extreme, or even minimal stress; you have no business carrying a firearm. However I understand what you're trying to say but there is absolutely NO room for error when guns are involved. There is always difficulty in firearm-related situations, but you must have FULL control or that gun should NOT even clear your holster. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it! :bored:

-Mike

While that is true, the vast majority of people that own handguns have never trained under simulated conditions. The fact of the matter is that highly trained people when under stress drop their accuracy by more than 60%. The average person would be lucky to be accurate 10% of the time under a seriously stressful situation, as in a home invasion.

BTW, there is no such thing as full control of a handgun as you cant control what a projectile will do.

For your reference I am a federal firearms instructor and a federal L.E.O. and I competitively shoot.

texaswrx

Established Member
For carry, I use the Glock 36, in 45 flavor. For back up, the Kel-Tec 9mm. For home, I use the HK 45 usp with surefire light attached. This is the same pistol I have had since my time in service. If you can afford it, a seperate carry and home defense weapon is ideal. But, there are plenty out there that can carry the double duty needs.

illadvisedSnake

need supporting mods!!!!
Established Member
steed76 said:
i carry a Kimber Custom 1911 .45 and love it, well balanced, night sights, low recoil... good piece.

NICE!!!! :beer:

Here is my .40 SIG

sig (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
While that is true, the vast majority of people that own handguns have never trained under simulated conditions. The fact of the matter is that highly trained people when under stress drop their accuracy by more than 60%. The average person would be lucky to be accurate 10% of the time under a seriously stressful situation, as in a home invasion.

BTW, there is no such thing as full control of a handgun as you cant control what a projectile will do.

For your reference I am a federal firearms instructor and a federal L.E.O. and I competitively shoot.
That's a scary thought. But as you said that highly trained people's accuracy drops +/- 60% then can you imagine the average UN-trained person? I am not disagreeing with you in the least bit...I was just stating that firearms training shouldn't be a "I'll think about it" thing, it should be required. When you make the decision to pull that trigger, you'd better be right.

Sorry, but I was raised to have the utmost respect for firearms, and I just want people to realize the responsibility that they are undertaking when they make the decision to buy a firearm. I'm going to school to become a Sherriff's Deputy, so I gotta start acting a little anal, LOL!! :D

-Mike

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Sonik Blur said:
That's a scary thought. But as you said that highly trained people's accuracy drops +/- 60% then can you imagine the average UN-trained person? I am not disagreeing with you in the least bit...I was just stating that firearms training shouldn't be a "I'll think about it" thing, it should be required. When you make the decision to pull that trigger, you'd better be right.

Sorry, but I was raised to have the utmost respect for firearms, and I just want people to realize the responsibility that they are undertaking when they make the decision to buy a firearm. I'm going to school to become a Sherriff's Deputy, so I gotta start acting a little anal, LOL!! :D

-Mike

And that is why a shotgun is a better home defense weapon than a handgun.

Codes

ROLL PRINCE ROLL!!!!
Established Member
The job of protecting my Dorm room falls on the shoulders of this...

Picture3001.jpg

Aint she a beauty.

6 shots fired as fast as you can **** (for some reason the site doesnt like the work ****...so as fast as you can pull back the hammer thingie on the back) her.

Ammo is pretty cheap and it's also reusable.

and I promise she is less expensive than any of the other pistols mentioned.

TacticalKaos

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

Absolutely, and much safer. You can go with a simple Remington Tactical or get serious with a ceremic coated Wilson Combat or Benelli M-1. The sound alone will deter a robber. I'd say get a Glock 29 if you really want a pistol and are a fairly experienced shooter. The recoil of the 10mm round is higher than most pistols but it's very accurate. The ballistics of the 10mm are insane but it is a rather expensive round if you plan on recreation shooting. From what I hear the human body doesn't fair well against a 10mm hollow point.

METHICAL

Established Member
Learn this simple fact: There is no such thing as 'stopping power' or 'knockdown power' in handgun cartridges. Shot placement is EVERYTHING, the only hit that will stop a determined aggressor right then and there is a hit to the central nervous system, ie, the brain and the spinal cord. A man with his heart blown apart with anything will have 10 seconds of fight left in him. All that said, .38spl, 9x19, .357mag, .357sig, 40s&w, 10mm, .41mag, .44spl, .44mag, .45gap, .45acp, .45colt...take your pick, they'll all do the job if you do yours. Pick a good jacketed hollow point (or in a big bore revolver (.44&.45), maybe a heavy wadcutter or semi wadcutter) that penetrates deeply, at least 12" in ballistic gelatin. Stick with proven bullets, Gold Dots, Rangers, Golden Sabers, etc, and do not bother with gimmicky shit, like Glasers or Extreme Shock, they do not penetrate nearly deep enough. 9mm is cheapest to shoot, thereby cheapest to become proficient with.

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
METHICAL said:
Learn this simple fact: There is no such thing as 'stopping power' or 'knockdown power' in handgun cartridges. Shot placement is EVERYTHING, the only hit that will stop a determined aggressor right then and there is a hit to the central nervous system, ie, the brain and the spinal cord. A man with his heart blown apart with anything will have 10 seconds of fight left in him. All that said, .38spl, 9x19, .357mag, .357sig, 40s&w, 10mm, .41mag, .44spl, .44mag, .45gap, .45acp, .45colt...take your pick, they'll all do the job if you do yours. Pick a good jacketed hollow point (or in a big bore revolver (.44&.45), maybe a heavy wadcutter or semi wadcutter) that penetrates deeply, at least 12" in ballistic gelatin. Stick with proven bullets, Gold Dots, Rangers, Golden Sabers, etc, and do not bother with gimmicky shit, like Glasers or Extreme Shock, they do not penetrate nearly deep enough. 9mm is cheapest to shoot, thereby cheapest to become proficient with.

There's a lot of discussion over this. You are correct that shot placement trumps energy for terminal ballistics. However, a 230 grain .45 hollowpoint at center mass is usually a one shot man-stopper, after multiple hits with 9mm in the same area have failed to stop the aggressor. You can always find exceptions, but that's the majority of results. And why many elite military units eschew the 9mm and go for the .45.

My recommendation of the Glaser for personal defense within a house had more to do with avoiding the bullet-through-the-wall effect that hardball ammo can give. I also said I'd prefer a shotgun first. You must also consider that in personal defense situations, you may end up facing a prosecuting attorney who questions your choice of ammo as "man-killer".....

Want to practice? Learn to reload. A box of 50 .45 ACP costs me under $5 to reload. A simple reloading press and set of dies and accessories can be had for under $100. Contact NRA to find a certified reloading instructor.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I prefer the .45 ACP. My newest is the Glock 30, compact, double action and 10 rounds. I also have some 1911's, a Colt and a Springfield. There are many compact 1911 style 45's which make a good carry gun. In the summer when it is harder to conceal I often carry a S&W snub .38 special Ultralight revolver.

For home defense I agree with many others. Get a 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a short barrel. I have a Winchester Defender with a short pistol grip stock. Just the Chink... Chink of the slide will scare anyone. :coolman:

TheGord

Texas Proud
Established Member
FordSVTFan said:

couldnt agree more. I have several shotguns, but my home defense one is a Mosberg. they are tactical in design, cheap and reliable. they can come in pistol grip, short barrels, pump and ready to take additional lights, sights...
I also dont mind running slugs or other abnoxious shot through the barrel.

METHICAL

Established Member
A .45 COM will put someone down right now, IF it penetrates the chest through to the spine, and severes it, or at least gives it a good jolt. So will any other caliber/cartridge. If the bullet doesn't, it might put someone down promptly, depends a lot on the mindset of the person shot. Some will go right down scared outta their wits they're gonna die from a .22 to the arm...some will take a mag full of .45 Gold Dots to the upper chest and still stay dead on their feet long enough to send lots of lead your way. The only thing that'll guarantee an instant drop is a brain/spine shot.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
TheGord said:
couldnt agree more. I have several shotguns, but my home defense one is a Mosberg. they are tactical in design, cheap and reliable. they can come in pistol grip, short barrels, pump and ready to take additional lights, sights...
I also dont mind running slugs or other abnoxious shot through the barrel.

Don't ever take your Mossberg 500 w/pistol grip to shoot clay pigeons. The pigeons will win every time.... (mumbles to himself about stupid pigeons) :p

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
9mm can expand...but .45 doesnt shrink - thats one reason why I carry .45 ACP.

I carry a 10+1 sub compact Para Ord Warthog. Great lil gun. Throw it in an Inside Waist Band (IWB) holster, and its not even noticeable. Its a bit fat with a double stack grip, but they're making single stacks that're a bit more concealable and also have light rails.

First and foremost get what fits your hand. If it doesnt feel comfortable to you, in your hand or in/on your waist then it wont be comfortable to shoot. Second, stick with a quality and proven name. Its your life on the line, you dont want to pinch pennies on a Hi Point or Jennings. I'd recommend a Sig to anyone. I love my P220, and they now have a smaller slide/barrel version called the P220 Carry. The P239 is also a nice choice for a carry gun (and lots over on the Sig forum carry it regularly).

Caliber choice will be dependent on your personal preference. .357 Sig, .40 S&W, 9mm, .45 ACP = all get the job done. Me personally, I'd stick with .40 and .45. Im just better with said calibers than the others. .380 is another good choice for a backup weapon, but for primary carry I prefer more "punch".

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
My personal favorite is the Walther P99 or Smith & Wesson SW40. They're the same weapon practically. They are incredibly well balance, well built and reliable. They fire a .40 caliber round which is a nice difference between a 9mm and a .45.

For carrying a concealed weapon, I carry a Walther PPK (.380). It's not going to blow someone's head off, but it will get the job done. I like it because it's small and can be carried nearly any where you want on your body easily. Not to mention, it's my personal favorite looking handgun out there.

Harry,
since when is a 9mm significantly more powerful then a .380? I was always under the impression (from personal experience) that a 9mm and .380 were nearly identical at stopping power with the edge going to the 9mm. :shrug:

Last edited:

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
XCELR8 said:
Harry,
since when is a 9mm significantly more powerful then a .380? I was always under the impression (from personal experience) that a 9mm and .380 were nearly identical at stopping power with the edge going to the 9mm. :shrug:

"More powerful" and "stopping power" are not exactly the same thing. Stopping power involves energy, penetration, and expansion. Note that energy level of 9mm is about twice that of .380 auto. Given the same bullet profile and shot placement, which do YOU think would have more stopping power?

http://world.guns.ru/ammo/am02-e.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread