Handgun opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
harry gilbert said:
"More powerful" and "stopping power" are not exactly the same thing. Stopping power involves energy, penetration, and expansion. Note that energy level of 9mm is about twice that of .380 auto. Given the same bullet profile and shot placement, which do YOU think would have more stopping power?

http://world.guns.ru/ammo/am02-e.htm

understandable I guess...

I've been wrong for a while now. :shrug:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Sonik Blur said:
This is my favorite, the Sig Sauer P229. A little pricey but dead accurate, and reliable as hell!! Comes in 9mm, .357, and .40 cal.

229.jpg

-Mike

I have the SIG229 in a .40....love it!!!!!

The reason i went with the Sig 229 was based solely on how it felt in my hand. I held and fired H&K USPs, Glocks, 1911s and few other makes and brands and the SIG felt the most comfortable in my hand.

If it's isn't comfy for you chances are you wont be able to shoot it well. I knew what caliber i wanted so that was the easy part. Finding the one that fit my hand the way i wanted took some time.

You can't go wrong with a SIG or a Glock as far as performance and reliabilty

TacticalKaos

Established Member
I think you guys might be getting a little carried away on the knock down power issue. I have a nagging suspicion this pistol will probably be for home defense, possibly daily carry and recreation. I have never heard of a house burglar so set on robbing you that he'd keep coming after even hearing the gun go off for the first time. I don't think this guy is taking his new pistol to fight insurgents but if he were than such a conversation would be warranted. I'm still a proponent of a shotgun for home defense but if he really wants a nice handgun the new H&K P2000 is extreme compact, made in 9mm and .40 and is more accurate than most full sized pistols. If you want to discuss combat pistols, Kimber .45s are outstanding as well as the new Wilson .45 In my opinion nothing can beat the durablity of a Glock. A 1911 framed pistol is pretty much the ideal for a combat pistol. The SOCOM is awesome but large. They don't make a more accurate pistol though.

Ling_650vette

Quagmires Apprentice
Established Member
Tactical, caliber choice is still a valid question/conversation to me (altho its still based on personal opinion). Whether its for a burglar or insurgent, you want a caliber thats going to put him down, and keep you on your feet (alive).

Now Im not saying there's a clear cut advantage with one caliber over the other, being someone can find a gripe with nearly every single caliber out there. But debating the +'s and -'s of caliber choices will help him to better decide what he wants. Ive always had great luck with .45 ACP and would recommend it to anyone. But someone else might feel its too much recoil for a beginner, or too much gun to carry around daily. This is what I feel the conversation should be about.

The new H&K P2000 is a good choice. As is the P3000 they're comming out with aswell. A lil pricey, but should fit the bill as to what he's looking for without a doubt. Sig has a bunch of new varients out with the DAK, SAO and Carry lines out now. Again, pricey but should do the trick. Glock has a bunch of nice options, but personally I dont care for them. Para Ord, Kimber, Beretta, Kahr all have options suiting your needs. Find what fits your hand, or a particular weapon you're wanting and I think we can "help" you out a bit more.

Last edited:

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Oh, the best advice I think no one will disagree with:

************Test fire the weapon before you buy! **************

Most stores with indoor ranges will allow you to rent a similar model so you know what you're getting.

10thAnnvCobra

Member MACA
Established Member
I'm just partial to the .45 ACP. I would have gotten a SIG 229 compact but it is not offered in .45 ACP. I bought the Glock 30 because of the .45 ACP and the small size. I was looking for a double action instead of my single action 1911's.

If price is not a concern you can't go wrong with a Kimber Custom Carry 1911 .45 ACP. If you prefer double action, Glock and many others make fine firearms. I wanted a compact double action in .45 ACP and picked the Glock 30. I've been very pleased.

Regardless of all else, as others have stated above, make sure it feels good in your hand. Is the grip comfortable? Be sure to test fire it if possible. If you want to be accurate you need to shoot often. If you can't feel comfortable you will not want to shoot often. It's a big decision. Take your time and ask questions. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

SSCOBRA03

Established Member
METHICAL said:
Learn this simple fact: There is no such thing as 'stopping power' or 'knockdown power' in handgun cartridges. Shot placement is EVERYTHING, the only hit that will stop a determined aggressor right then and there is a hit to the central nervous system, ie, the brain and the spinal cord. A man with his heart blown apart with anything will have 10 seconds of fight left in him. All that said, .38spl, 9x19, .357mag, .357sig, 40s&w, 10mm, .41mag, .44spl, .44mag, .45gap, .45acp, .45colt...take your pick, they'll all do the job if you do yours. Pick a good jacketed hollow point (or in a big bore revolver (.44&.45), maybe a heavy wadcutter or semi wadcutter) that penetrates deeply, at least 12" in ballistic gelatin. Stick with proven bullets, Gold Dots, Rangers, Golden Sabers, etc, and do not bother with gimmicky shit, like Glasers or Extreme Shock, they do not penetrate nearly deep enough. 9mm is cheapest to shoot, thereby cheapest to become proficient with.

+1.

But for home defense, get a pump shotgun. Like FordSVTFAN said, the sound of the action being racked will stop anyone in their tracks or make them turn ass and run out of your house.

dougwg

Established Member
I got a line up on a sweet little pistol grip Mossberg pump in 20g.... Think I'll buy it for the wife as a B-day present ;-)

as of right now for home defense I have a Remington 1187 semiauto 12 and my Sig 229 40S&W :burn:

and an attack cat that will shed like mad all over any home invader dumb enough to come in un-invited :D

Last edited:

Wintermute

Banned
Walther P99, fantastic ergonomics and very advanced, nice and light too. Sig 229s are nice.

We cant carry up here and any barrel under 4" is prohibited for citizens unless grandfathered.

:shrug:

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
While I do like the idea of concealment.....I doubt I would ever carry a pistol much. That's why I have one of these like shown in the picture.

I'd venture to say that I'd win 9 out of 10 battles having this and the burglar/intruder having any handgun of his choice.

She sleeps with me every night! :rockon:

aowx.jpg

TacticalKaos

Established Member
Springfield%20Armory%20SOCOM%20II%20Camo_3.jpg

The trick is to put them down as they're coming up the driveway or into your yard. Saves you from having to fix a broken window or door.

ElGato

There is no cure
Established Member
Hell, why wait that long.

Get the Barrett .50 cal and take them out when they're leaving THIER house :)

texaswrx

Established Member
WOLFGANGSTA said:
While I do like the idea of concealment.....I doubt I would ever carry a pistol much. That's why I have one of these like shown in the picture.

I'd venture to say that I'd win 9 out of 10 battles having this and the burglar/intruder having any handgun of his choice.

She sleeps with me every night! :rockon:

aowx.jpg
Nice, but the length looks a bit short of batf laws :coolman:

WesTexLightning

Established Member
I carry a DE 50AE to as a back up while hog hunting. PLus its easy to change it out. Get a different clip and Barrel and you have a 44mag change out the Barrel clip and bolt and you can have a 357 plus several barrel lenghts.

Fixing to order this thoughhttp://www.50bmgstore.com/amac50bmgstore.htm :pepper:

Ben 98

Established Member
I'm looking at getting the spring. XD tactical package in a .45. Can't beat a high cap .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread