has anyone actually broken an mt82?

jonesd

Established Member
Just like the title states, im trying to find posts of people that broke an mt82 transmission with big power adders but i really cant seem to find any. Is the transmission really that strong?

Now let me state im not talking about common transmission problems that people talk about, but the transmission actually letting go because of the power levels. People seem to be putting just as much power through these as the tr6060 in the shelby and holding fine...

The only real post i could find on the power that people seem to be holding is this:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustangs-354/794122-blower-mt82.html

Just curious if anyone has anything further to add either good or bad?

dro

Stock 5.0 w/ mods > *
Established Member
I think the weakness is the clutch. My friends clutch feels a whole lot more snappier than mine, and sometimes my car has trouble going into gear. I'm about to be upgrading clutches before long. The supercharged guys usually upgrade clutches in the first place and I'm pretty sure that is the reason why they don't have troubles..

Just my .02.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Has anyone else done this with their MT82?
Got a stock replacement for now, but looking to upgrade as soon as something becomes available.

inputshaft.jpg

Here is Tracy's broken input shaft :)
This is from her 3.6 KB Boss.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Here is Tracy's broken input shaft :)
This is from her 3.6 KB Boss.

That's what I was looking for! Apparently that was slightly over 700 rwhp if I remember the thread correctly.

The mechanical aspects of the transmission appear to be fairly stout.

Can't expect to have a factory transmission survive 700 hp clutch drops on sticky tires for very long.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Can't expect to have a factory transmission survive 700 hp clutch drops on sticky tires for very long.

Not sure where you got your info. Car has only been launched from idle on 18" drag radials.
First shaft broke on a 2-3 shift at the track. 2nd one broke on a 4-5 shift, highway, street tires.

The MT82 is rated for 383ft lbs. JPC broke theirs last year.

jonesd

Established Member
thats exactly what i was looking for thanks! I've had multiple shops tell me 650rwhp will be fine and i started searching and searching on different forums and couldnt really find any broken ones. I will admit your the first broken one I've heard of, but this is exactly why i made the thread as i wanted to hear real world scenarios.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
thats exactly what i was looking for thanks! I've had multiple shops tell me 650rwhp will be fine and i started searching and searching on different forums and couldnt really find any broken ones. I will admit your the first broken one I've heard of, but this is exactly why i made the thread as i wanted to hear real world scenarios.

depends how u drive it.

pony racer

Established Member
Not sure where you got your info. Car has only been launched from idle on 18" drag radials.
First shaft broke on a 2-3 shift at the track. 2nd one broke on a 4-5 shift, highway, street tires.

from what i read on one of the Getrag sites last year its rated at 380ft.#s @ 9000#'s.. meaning a 4.5 ton vehicle..
the trans was originally designed for a truck/cargo van..

cars argueably weight just under 4000#'s fully loaded with gas and a passenger.

Last edited:

jonesd

Established Member
from what i read on one of the Getrag sites last year its rated at 380ft.#s @ 9000#'s.. meaning a 4.5 ton vehicle..

Interesting, didn't know that. No wonder it holds up well for the most part.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member

It obviously is not strong enough to hold up to Ford's durability requirments for the GT500, otherwise it would be used there becuase it is cheaper and a good deal lighter.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Correction.
Here are Tracy's two broken input shafts. :nonono:
761/598 rear wheel.

twoshafts.jpg

That's the Tracy we all know and love :)
I am surprised you haven't found anyone to make you a better one yet.
Are you still on the same tranny mounts?

I will try to swing by one of these days and go harass you guys :)

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member
Novi ended mine back in oct. Lost 4th and 5th gear while I was out of town doing done racing, got home like that tho.

Made a little over 650.

SicShelby09

Banned

This is completely false, and you are spreading e-rumors. I cant remember where I read the real info, but that statement was proven false and explained in great detail why. It has something to do with the MT82 used in some small trucks or vans or something, but not the same MT82 as the mustang uses dumbass.

SicShelby09

Banned
I figured out where this came from..... The MT82 was mistakenly called the same trans as the getrag 6MTI500 transmission. People have been quoting the getrag site claiming its the same trans, and its only good for XXX amount of tq. Well its not the same trans. This trans is for Rear Wheel driven light duty trucks, Sports Utility Vehicles and pick-ups.

Last edited:

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread