has anyone actually broken an mt82?

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
*removed by mod*

Dumbass or not, the MT82 is not up to holding the horsepower/torque levels that the T56/6060 are. No one plans to make upgraded parts for it because it's junk. Instead, they are adapting other transmissions to work.

Yes, I'm an e-sheep. I just follow the crowd. :bored:
I thought personal attacks were limited to the smackdown forum?

J666Z

JohnnyZ06
Established Member
Our white 2011 shop car is making 953 rwhp and actually broke the aluminum 1 piece driveshaft before the mt-82 transmission. We are still using the stock transmission in it to this day. It is starting to make some noise now, but still together.

SicShelby09

Banned
Dumbass or not, the MT82 is not up to holding the horsepower/torque levels that the T56/6060 are. No one plans to make upgraded parts for it because it's junk. Instead, they are adapting other transmissions to work.

Yes, I'm an e-sheep. I just follow the crowd. :bored:
I thought personal attacks were limited to the smackdown forum?

Please. I had both an 07 blown C6 and a pullied GT500 and both had the junk 6060 in them. Both cars had many cold shifting issues and gear lockout issues. Both also needed several service appointments to diagnose various trans noises and gear pop outs. So dont think they are gods gifts. My MT82 has been much more trouble free than both of those cars. And my old 04 cobra for that matter too. And I can power shift this trans to the moon with no issues. Couldnt do that in the GT500. That car would grind at the drop of a hat. I piss on tremec. Maybe I got 3 cars with 5 bad transes, but I know I have one good MT82.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Please. I had both an 07 blown C6 and a pullied GT500 and both had the junk 6060 in them. Both cars had many cold shifting issues and gear lockout issues. Both also needed several service appointments to diagnose various trans noises and gear pop outs. So dont think they are gods gifts. My MT82 has been much more trouble free than both of those cars. And my old 04 cobra for that matter too. And I can power shift this trans to the moon with no issues. Couldnt do that in the GT500. That car would grind at the drop of a hat. I piss on tremec. Maybe I got 3 cars with 5 bad transes, but I know I have one good MT82.

How many 600-700whp GT500s have blown up trannies? There are several pelple in this thread that is only a couple days old that have killed MT82s. There is a reason it is not used in the GT500s. Save for clutch issues on some cars, it works just fine in a stockish car. Beat on it with big power, and you might just change your opinion.

Did you ever wonder why the 2007-2009 GT500s didn't have 1-2 grind issues? Same trans..In 2010, they switched hydraulic systems which seem to be the cause of the problem, as they have been revised for 2013. The 6060 is just fine ;)

SicShelby09

Banned
How many 600-700whp GT500s have blown up trannies? There are several pelple in this thread that is only a couple days old that have killed MT82s. There is a reason it is not used in the GT500s. Save for clutch issues on some cars, it works just fine in a stockish car. Beat on it with big power, and you might just change your opinion.

Did you ever wonder why the 2007-2009 GT500s didn't have 1-2 grind issues? Same trans..In 2010, they switched hydraulic systems which seem to be the cause of the problem, as they have been revised for 2013. The 6060 is just fine ;)

My 09 DID have the grind issue. I couldnt shift that car from the 1-2 for nothing. And my car had the big TSB done also. Both pre and post TSB it was aweful to shift. My GT can rip gears with the best of them. The MT82 is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
My 09 DID have the grind issue. I couldnt shift that car from the 1-2 for nothing. And my car had the big TSB done also. Both pre and post TSB it was aweful to shift. My GT can rip gears with the best of them. The MT82 is not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be.

Again...your car has what? a tune??
This thread is about if it up to the task for big power combinations. You experience doesn't mean much here, even though stockish cars have killed trannies as well.

Sc0tty2h0ttie

AKA Scotty2hottie
Established Member

I loved my MT82. if there was a built version available i woulda stuck in there, with a shifter and bracket you can seriously bang gears in it.

But now ill just be boring and go auto.

s174

trooper speed
Established Member
Just got mine back today from the dealer, replaced 2nd gear and 2nd gear synchro under warranty. I think it got damaged when the pressure plate bolts backed. We'll see...

blackvette101

Established Member
^same with my brothers 2011 cs. we lost 5th gear and the synchro also because of those bolts. Got it back today under warranty. And they didn't even complain about the ford racing tune.

danny04mystic

svt and ford enthusiast
Established Member
to bring back up an older thread, my buddy just broke his 2013 5.0 trans sunday. mt82. we were playing on the street and he was in second gear and hit it and it wouldnt come out of gear for the 2-3 shift. it was completely locked in 2nd gear!his car is bone stock except for pypes muffler deletes. even on street tires still! one of my best friends is a tech at our local ford dealer and i had aaa rollback it up there he tore into the trans and found 2nd gear synchro all chewed up missing teeth, a failed roller pin bearing, and bent shift fork with score marks on the shaft. had a god bit of metal shavings stuck to the magnet also. car has about 3 thousand miles on it. never modded or been to the track just the deletes and street runs and still on factory tires and 19's! he is rebuilding it under warranty.

i'm wondering if anyone makes upgraded internals for it like heavy duty shift forks, billet synchro keys, carbon fiber rings, bronze fork guides etc?? since he is rebuilding it i wanted to see if we could beef it up a lil since he is planning on a tvs like i did. thanks if anyone has any info let me know. im gonna check with tony savaris at astro performance thats where i got all my parts when i built my trans for my old car.

byeofcr

Established Member
I blew 2nd 3rd and 6th(?!)bone stock on the highway. They rebuilt it :rolleyes: its a crap shoot with them. I happened to have mine in 3 times for tranny issues, 2 engineers come out (all they did was lift car and look for rubber on the on the tailpipes bumper etc. in the end they gave 2k for it.
So to hell with it. Shit breaks. Pay to play

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
wait a minute. how the hell did you blow 6th gear? that sounds crazy.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I've blown 3 mt82's with 16000 miles on the odometer. Simple bolt ons and E85. The first two times blew mid gear @ just under 7k rpms. Third time blew from 3-4 shift. Replaced twice under warranty and third time denied due to mods. Rep came out and saw the twin disc and longtubes and denied my trans warranty on the spot. Transmission is garbage. One of the best feeling transmissions tho. Shifts great and I love the gearing but mines at least didn't hold any type of power. I'm 5 weeks in and waiting on my t56 magnum. Ordered it on April 5 should be getting here soon. I see ppl putting down 600+ with mt82 trans with no problems. I just seemed to have bad luck!!! 3 TIMES!!!!!

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Is not that bad of a transmission. A lot of people with power are holding fine. E85 by itself won't do a thing to it.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Is not that bad of a transmission. A lot of people with power are holding fine. E85 by itself won't do a thing to it.

I'm telling u I've blown THREE of them with intake, boss manifold, o/r x pipe, longtubes, and E85. Off E85 tranny held up through whatever I dished at it. As soon as I went E85 trans blew. All three times was in E85. I know ppl running high numbers with these transmissions but that wasn't the case for me.

byeofcr

Established Member
wait a minute. how the hell did you blow 6th gear? that sounds crazy.

Yup. Said the same thing. I have no clue how either.
FWIW and its just my own conspiracy theory is that the guy who DROVE my brand new car 954 miles to the dealership (from one dealer to another, i thought they were transporting it, stupid me to assume id be the one to drive my new car) had something to do with it since it blew at ~2200 miles.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Is just strange because there are a lot of people with pd blowers and nitrous that are on the stock Mr82. I wouldn't call them garbage. In fact they are pretty strong considering how heavy this cars are. Ofcourse they are not as tough as the autos but I think that they are stronger than a stock t56.

That being said, there are some bad ones out there. Either because of quality check or assembly error or maybe the stock clutch assembly was the cause of some of their failures.

Last edited:

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Is just strange because there are a lot of people with pd blowers and nitrous that are on the stock Mr82. I wouldn't call them garbage. In fact they are pretty strong considering how heavy this cars are. Ofcourse they are not as tough as the autos but I think that they are stronger than a stock t56.

That being said, there are some bad ones out there. Either because of quality check or assembly error or maybe the stock clutch assembly was the cause of some of their failures.

I had a McLeod rst clutch all three time it blew. Like said the tranny feels great and the gearing is great it for some reason I got the shitty ones lol. Oo well on to bigger and better things. And no the mt82 is not stronger than a t56 magnum. T56 from 03-04 cobras maybe but not the magnum. JPC has been 9.0's on the t56 magnum straight out of the box. When I ordered it I wanted to do it once and once only. I ordered it fully upgraded with carbon fiber syncro rings, surface enhanced gears, shot peening treatment, and cryogenics treatment. The one I ordered should hold a good deal more than the rated 700ftlb of tq. Now I just need to make that much lmao.

6SpeedFreak

Established Member
I still have stock clutch and tranny...everything is great no issues...been turbo for 5k miles almost 18k on the car. Right at 600WHP.

Users who are viewing this thread