has anyone done the hydraulic clutch conversion on their cobra?

TRBO VNM

I have wanted to just so I can provide some info to others and think it would be a cool conversion, but since my car isn't a daily driver I have found it difficult to drop the money on it when there are plenty of other things I want.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I have wanted to just so I can provide some info to others and think it would be a cool conversion, but since my car isn't a daily driver I have found it difficult to drop the money on it when there are plenty of other things I want.

i was thinking the same thing. i was hoping that someone had installed it and could post up their results of it. the kit looks pretty simple and all.

the search continues...

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
ive debated about doing a hydraulic clutch conversion on my cobra. i like the feel of the cable. but having the ease of a hydraulic system would be great.

if anyone has does this please post up some pics and any info.

thanks

brian

14-326 MUSTANG MCLEOD CLUTCH CONVERSION KIT HYDRAULIC W/ SLAVE CYLINDER 1979-200

HCC3.jpg

WOW!

That is freaking awesome!
I've got either a T/O sleeve starting to gall, or a clutch cable starting to go bad, and yet my original OE clutch is still holding fine.

Daily driving this thing 50 miles a day with only part of it highway, makes this conversion look particularly attractive to me!

Stock clutch effort is just stupid high. I wonder how the effort and travel are on this new item?

Last edited:

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Jimmy this has been in the works for a couple of years. It was released earlier this year. I wanna say around march.

It sounds pretty cool. They have had the hydraulic conversion for the early model fords for years. Not sure why they waited so long for this kit. But the kit is of high quality. I have seen the kit in person just not on a car.

I may still do this kit at a later date. If i do I will post up the install and lots of pics.

HCC3.jpg

WOW!

That is freaking awesome!
I've got either a T/O sleeve starting to gall, or a clutch cable starting to go bad, and yet my original OE clutch is still holding fine.

Daily driving this thing 50 miles a day with only part of it highway, makes this conversion look particularly attractive to me!

Stock clutch effort is just stupid high. I wonder how the effort and travel are on this new item?

Spoolx

Established Member
A buddy of mine installed one on a mach 1, it works amazing... but its not designed to fit a 4 valve, you have to modify the coil covers and stuff for it to fit.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
A buddy of mine installed one on a mach 1, it works amazing... but its not designed to fit a 4 valve, you have to modify the coil covers and stuff for it to fit.

They were looking for local Cobras a few months back to revise the kit. Hopefully someone volunteered to be a guinea pig.

The best way to find out is to call McLeod direct. :shrug:

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I bought one and had to return it. Very nice piece but does not even come close to fitting. Hits the valve cover big time. If they come out with a revised version, I would buy it.

TRBO VNM

I bought one and had to return it. Very nice piece but does not even come close to fitting. Hits the valve cover big time. If they come out with a revised version, I would buy it.

Damn. I was just considering seeing what my cost would be for it. Maybe I will give them a call tomorrow and see if they need a test car. But I can see how the 4V covers would cause issue because there is minimal room when installing a firewall adjuster as it is. Now try putting this cylinder up there. I do have the Fore low profile COP covers, but you still have the valve cover to deal with.

cobracide

Established Member
Keep the simplicity of a stock clutch and hydraulic feel -twin disc. No need for added complexity of hydraulic.

Last edited:

keith89

Established Member
ive debated about doing a hydraulic clutch conversion on my cobra. i like the feel of the cable. but having the ease of a hydraulic system would be great.

if anyone has does this please post up some pics and any info.

thanks

brian

14-326 MUSTANG MCLEOD CLUTCH CONVERSION KIT HYDRAULIC W/ SLAVE CYLINDER 1979-200

I'll be converting to the hydraulic slave setup in the next year or two. Going to manual brakes and a floor mounted pedal setup so I won't have to worry about the clutch master cylinder hitting the valve cover. It's going to be $$$ though.

TRBO VNM

Just spoke to McLeod. They said it is a case by case basis if you have an issue with interference. They have installed them on some cars without issue. They said that some people have opened the hole and made it a little more slotted where the firewall adjuster goes and that cured the problem.

That said, the solution could be as easy as using the MM Kmember spacers to lower everything. These spacers are what some people use for the Whipple 3.4 to add hood/blower pulley clearance.

there are 2 kits available. The 14-326 that Brian posted and the 14-325. The one Brian posted uses the factory clutch fork. Some people with long tubes, turbo piping, etc. may have clearance issues with the slave cylinder provided in the 14-326 kit. So the 14-325 kit uses a similar slave setup like the 05+ mustangs.

14-326
5366.jpg

14-325
5365.jpg

10sec89

Established Member
I had a 05 GT an I hated the hydraulic clutch, had zero feel, could never get a smooth engagement, I personally prefer the cable.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I had a 05 GT an I hated the hydraulic clutch, had zero feel, could never get a smooth engagement, I personally prefer the cable.

i think its more of a matter of opinion really.

ive had both and i love the feel of my cable but i never liked the hard pedal that i had with some of my clutches. now that im about to be 33 and getting older. i can still handle the cable just fine but i know when im probably 50+ it will be hard to manage as good.

i wanna try the hydraulic version. just need to decide in like the next week. because the motor is FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY going in. thats right folks the big bore boss block stroker with 76mm turbo project is almost done :D

SVT_Troy

Established Member
looks really cool tim how about you do some R&D.....We can you my car if the labor is cheap!

Users who are viewing this thread