has anyone done the hydraulic clutch conversion on their cobra?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would think the seals would be less stressed compared to brakes because of the lower pressures. Or are you talking about the master cylinder pistons wearing due to the overall travel?

Brake fluid absorbs water and can corrode the cylinder which will play havoc with the seals which need to travel a lot further in the bore compared to a brake cylinder plus it gets used a lot more. It's very rare for a brake cylinder to leak and the more pressure you apply just drives the seals harder against the cylinder. I've seen more than a few clutch cylinders leak especially the slave which is usually in a dirty and wet environment....then you gotta periodically bleed them and make sure the reservoir is topped off.

Not saying hydraulic clutch systems are bad. The vast majority of cars are equipped with them but that is more likely due to cable routing and perhaps a smidgeon of not wanting to use "old school" technology in a modern car. Cables are just a stone cold simple and reliable method of getting the same job done and the pedal feel between the two is almost imperceptible.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
Well, for one it is good for those people who have knee issues. I have a friend local here that has issues and a very light pedal would do wonders. He was considering selling the car because of it, so this could be a viable option for those people as well.

Me, I am more interested in the neat/cool factor for such a simple conversion. I can always go back to stock setup if there are issues or I don't like it.

i think i may pick up this conversion at the NMRA event in atlanta. we were chosen as the host car club again this year. so i will be there all weekend long. im going to try and get a good deal on it. i know what my dealer cost is on the unit but im hoping to get it a little cheaper.

ive spent so much money on my car this year i need to chill for at least 3-4 months lol.

i think it will be a cool conversion. also if i do not like it i can go back to the cable clutch.

id like to do it now because my motor and trans are out but i just cant find the extra $$$ right now :(

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
That looks interesting from the standpoint of lightening up a clutch that normally feels very heavy.....but I can tell you without a doubt, the pedal effort from my RXT twin is every bit as light as the hydraulic c5z and c6z clutch from my two vettes. If you're tempted or near time for a clutch swap anyway, I'd go for the cable RXT and never look back. Just my .02

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I went with McLeod dual disc... smooth, easy and pedal effort of maybe something like a Ford Focus. Althought I went with the RST vereses the RXT... hope I don't regret that. Seems some people have had some issues with RST's at the track but that is far and few between for me.

I also have RST twin disk. So far no problems with it. I been to the drag strip couple of times. It was doing it's job, even with 6k rpm clutch dumps. So far the I love this clutch. The clutch pedal takes hardly any effort to depress. Soft like honda civic clutch lol.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
That looks interesting from the standpoint of lightening up a clutch that normally feels very heavy.....but I can tell you without a doubt, the pedal effort from my RXT twin is every bit as light as the hydraulic c5z and c6z clutch from my two vettes. If you're tempted or near time for a clutch swap anyway, I'd go for the cable RXT and never look back. Just my .02
I would have said the same thing. Then again, it was my car. :-D

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
i wish i would have got the spec twin disc now...

to late now. guess if i do not like it i will get a twin disc or try this hydraulic conversion.

im hoping that someone would have done this to their cobra by now....

Drazga

Established Member
My stock clutch and Spec 3+ (26 Spline) were terrible so I almost went hydraulic, now with my Mcleod RXT the effort is that of a hydraulic and the feel is that still of a cable. Look into nice twin disks instead OP.

RJCobra

Established Member
My stock clutch and Spec 3+ (26 Spline) were terrible so I almost went hydraulic, now with my Mcleod RXT the effort is that of a hydraulic and the feel is that still of a cable. Look into nice twin disks instead OP.

I'm also wondering if doing BOTH the hydraulic kit AND the Twin disc would help more than either alone. I've developed pretty bad arthritis in my left foot so every bit may help.

KingcobraCT427

Established Member
I just put the mcleod hydraulic conversion kit on my 03 cobra, it fits fine with a little modification to the firewall. My master cylinder does not rub the cover at all because I made it to fit. Dont be scared of Mcleod telling you it wont fit guys! Do it yourself and make the mods, I did and it came out great

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I just put the mcleod hydraulic conversion kit on my 03 cobra, it fits fine with a little modification to the firewall. My master cylinder does not rub the cover at all because I made it to fit. Dont be scared of Mcleod telling you it wont fit guys! Do it yourself and make the mods, I did and it came out great

Mas!

Spoolx

Established Member

lol you cant post that and then give no info on what you did

Nik

Established Member
tad old but has anyone else done the hydro conversion as well on their 03/04??

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Very intriguing. I've always loved the ease of hydraulic clutches.

My buddies GT500 has a hydraulic clutch stock from the factory and I installed the McLeod twin disk in there and his clutch is lighter than my Honda Civic. No joke we both tried both clutches and hands down his is that light. It's fantastic and so easy to drive. The Honda does have a Competition clutch in it which is a little stiffer than stock, but not a whole lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread