has anyone done the hydraulic clutch conversion on their cobra?

TRBO VNM

looks really cool tim how about you do some R&D.....We can you my car if the labor is cheap!

Referencing me? If so, name is Jason. :poke: but yeah, could knock it out when doing the FTBR kit. :D

I did find out my price today on both kits. We will see what the wallet looks like after the holidays and go from there.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Referencing me? If so, name is Jason. :poke: but yeah, could knock it out when doing the FTBR kit. :D

I did find out my price today on both kits. We will see what the wallet looks like after the holidays and go from there.

LMFAO!! Who's a douch! I am!! :nonono: But yes was talking about you forsure!!

SVT_Troy

Established Member
haha im somewhat of a jokester to say the least and have very very thick skin! but i even had Tim programed in my phone.....dont know where i got that from...must have stuck in my head and i just ran with it!

Double-D

'03 10th Anniv. Cobra Cpe
Established Member
The McLeod reps at SEMA confirmed that without a modified K-member, the full kit will not work. Gorgeous looking kit and the working display on a T-56 was smooth as silk.

Not wanting to mod car just for a hyd clutch, I'm purchasing their twin disk set-up and be done.

DD

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

The rep I spoke to said the clearance issue is about 1/8". I do have the fore low profile cop covers and the mm kmember.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Not sure what the motivation is to replace a very reliable cable clutch set-up with hydraulic slave and master cylinder prone to leaking? How will the car benefit from a hydraulic clutch actuator :shrug:

itSSlow98

Established Member
Not sure what the motivation is to replace a very reliable cable clutch set-up with hydraulic slave and master cylinder prone to leaking? How will the car benefit from a hydraulic clutch actuator :shrug:

There are millions of cars running hydraulic clutch setups. Mcleod makes good stuff and going froma rock hard pedal to a feather light pedal with the same clutch is definetly worth it.

KILRSVT

Established Member
I would be interested in this kit if my car was a DD . I do like the feed back of the cable. However down the road I would most def be interested ... Great product from mc Cleod

TRBO VNM

Well, for one it is good for those people who have knee issues. I have a friend local here that has issues and a very light pedal would do wonders. He was considering selling the car because of it, so this could be a viable option for those people as well.

Me, I am more interested in the neat/cool factor for such a simple conversion. I can always go back to stock setup if there are issues or I don't like it.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Well, for one it is good for those people who have knee issues. I have a friend local here that has issues and a very light pedal would do wonders. He was considering selling the car because of it, so this could be a viable option for those people as well.

Me, I am more interested in the neat/cool factor for such a simple conversion. I can always go back to stock setup if there are issues or I don't like it.

A cable clutch can he just as light as a hydraulic. Just look at the pedal effort of a Centerforce clutch vs. OEM Cobra clutch (night & day). On our sport bikes we would convert from hydraulic to cable due to the slave cylinder blowing seals showing the bodywork with brake fluid and they tend to release quicker. Usually the manufactures employ a hydraulic clutch because there is no concern with cable routing but I would take a cable over a hydraulic clutch any day. Other than the "cool factor" I can't see the merits of this conversion.

TRBO VNM

A cable clutch can he just as light as a hydraulic. Just look at the pedal effort of a Centerforce clutch vs. OEM Cobra clutch (night & day). On our sport bikes we would convert from hydraulic to cable due to the slave cylinder blowing seals showing the bodywork with brake fluid and they tend to release quicker. Usually the manufactures employ a hydraulic clutch because there is no concern with cable routing but I would take a cable over a hydraulic clutch any day. Other than the "cool factor" I can't see the merits of this conversion.

I won't disagree in regards to the cable being just as light as hydraulic, however, I have not felt that myself. I have driven plenty of different cable clutch setups in these cars, including twin disc. I have a BMW with hydraulic setup, I have driven 05+ gt's and gt500's and so far, none of the cable setups have been as light. I have owned a couple centerforce setups, spec setups and now fidanza. All very light compared to stock, but still heavier than the hydraulics I have driven.

How about one of those lighter pedal clutches and then adding the hydraulic setup to it? There are people out there with that experience, but I haven't spoken to them directly to be able to gain their feedback.

And if you haven't driven one of ours cars with the hydraulic setup, you can't really compare it apples to apples. And this is why I am interested in trying it out. Either way, I am not sure if I will do it, but would not mind trying it out for the heck of it. If the funds are available, why not? You don't hack up your car for the install, so going back to stock setup is very simple. The only thing I hate about hydraulic setups is that some of them are a pain to bleed down. Other than that, so far between the vette's, bmw's, rangers and others that I have worked on, there have been no issues.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I won't disagree in regards to the cable being just as light as hydraulic, however, I have not felt that myself. I have driven plenty of different cable clutch setups in these cars, including twin disc. I have a BMW with hydraulic setup, I have driven 05+ gt's and gt500's and so far, none of the cable setups have been as light. I have owned a couple centerforce setups, spec setups and now fidanza. All very light compared to stock, but still heavier than the hydraulics I have driven.

How about one of those lighter pedal clutches and then adding the hydraulic setup to it? There are people out there with that experience, but I haven't spoken to them directly to be able to gain their feedback.

And if you haven't driven one of ours cars with the hydraulic setup, you can't really compare it apples to apples. And this is why I am interested in trying it out. Either way, I am not sure if I will do it, but would not mind trying it out for the heck of it. If the funds are available, why not? You don't hack up your car for the install, so going back to stock setup is very simple. The only thing I hate about hydraulic setups is that some of them are a pain to bleed down. Other than that, so far between the vette's, bmw's, rangers and others that I have worked on, there have been no issues.

I feel your pain. Try bleeding the hydraulic clutch in a turbo Outback :cuss: It's done by "feel" alone :nonono:

Keep in mind the pedal effort is determined by force over distance and whether that is accomplished using hydraulics or the lever action of a fulcrum in a cable set-up equates to the same amount of pedal force required to release the pressure plate. Having used both the difference is hardly noticeable if at all. The seals on a hydraulic clutch are much more prone to failure over a simple cable because unlike the brakes, the slave and master cylinder actually displace fluid rather then just compressing it which makes the seals more prone to leaking or ingesting air.

There is nothing wrong with a hydraulic clutch but for me I don't see the value of replacing a reliable cable set-up with one.

2004Droptop

Established Member
I went with McLeod dual disc... smooth, easy and pedal effort of maybe something like a Ford Focus. Althought I went with the RST vereses the RXT... hope I don't regret that. Seems some people have had some issues with RST's at the track but that is far and few between for me.

TRBO VNM

I feel your pain. Try bleeding the hydraulic clutch in a turbo Outback :cuss: It's done by "feel" alone :nonono:

Keep in mind the pedal effort is determined by force over distance and whether that is accomplished using hydraulics or the lever action of a fulcrum in a cable set-up equates to the same amount of pedal force required to release the pressure plate. Having used both the difference is hardly noticeable if at all. The seals on a hydraulic clutch are much more prone to failure over a simple cable because unlike the brakes, the slave and master cylinder actually displace fluid rather then just compressing it which makes the seals more prone to leaking or ingesting air.

There is nothing wrong with a hydraulic clutch but for me I don't see the value of replacing a reliable cable set-up with one.

Totally understand your point and the engineering(engineer by trade/degree) behind it. But figure why not. There are many curious about it and it may not be for some, but it could be for others. Won't hurt to try it, aside from the bank.

keith89

Established Member

I would think the seals would be less stressed compared to brakes because of the lower pressures. Or are you talking about the master cylinder pistons wearing due to the overall travel?

Users who are viewing this thread