Have a leak in the IRS

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
I have a leak in my IRS and I am going to be rebuilding it.
Parts I am going to purchase:

FTBR FT5001
FTBR FT1350M
FTBR FT2100
Ford IRS Clutch Pack
Ford 8.8 Rear Seals and Bearings Kit
Lube Locker Gasket
Royal Purple 75W140
Fuel Filter
Fuel Line Tool
Paint Marker

Can anyone think of anything I am missing or suggestions of what might make this easier?

Last edited:

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
The FTBR FT 1350M is the new Ford Racing cover, that should be good strength wise. What do the swaybar end links help with? Can they be easily installed with the IRS in?

Last edited:

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Not sure of your miles. I have 60k miles and just did the FTBR bushings and FRPP diff cover. I went ahead and did all the diff bearings and seals while I was in there. Not much more $$ and you are already taking it apart anyway. Why not make it all new?

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
^ Is it ordered as a pack or do you order them individually?

Edit: Found it as a kit. Thanks for the advise guys. Please let me know if you can think of anything else also.

Last edited:

earico

Established Member
^ Is it ordered as a pack or do you order them individually?

Edit: Found it as a kit. Thanks for the advise guys. Please let me know if you can think of anything else also.

I actually got the axles bearings from Autozone (ones in the diff not the knuckle). It was the OEM Timken bearing for around $10 each.

Seals and new clutch packs I ordered from Tousley.

Everything else came from Superior Axle. My friend is the VP there and gives me the bro hookup. :beer:

SlowSnake

Established Member
How many quarts does the IRS take to fill?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SlowSnake

Established Member
K so what exactly do I need? I see with and without additive on here. What's the general consensus on that and also what weight?

TRBO VNM

You need friction modifier. Some of the fluids state they already have it mixed in with the fluid, like some of the RP. Just make sure you read the bottle when you purchase so you know if you need to buy separate or not.

And pretty sure it is pints, not quarts. I always make that mistake when getting diff fluid since everything else is listed in qts.

earico

Established Member
You need friction modifier. Some of the fluids state they already have it mixed in with the fluid, like some of the RP. Just make sure you read the bottle when you purchase so you know if you need to buy separate or not.

And pretty sure it is pints, not quarts. I always make that mistake when getting diff fluid since everything else is listed in qts.

Valvoline SynPower also has the modifier in it. It doesn't say it on the bottle but if you go to their site and download the specs on it you will find that it does have it already. Just passing the info along.

SomeSoldier

I wanna go fast.
Established Member
So I ordered my parts today. Anyone know if I will need longer bolts for the Ford Racing Diff Cover being sealed with a lube locker gasket?

SlowSnake

Established Member
I wouldn't think so. Thanks for that info.

Last edited:

earico

Established Member
So I ordered my parts today. Anyone know if I will need longer bolts for the Ford Racing Diff Cover being sealed with a lube locker gasket?

They should be fine. Use threadlocker of course.

BTW I don't know if you saw my post in the Diff Cover thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-new-ford-racing-irs-diff-cover-girdle-5.html

You will need 2.5 qts for the fill. Don't fill it per the Ford instructions with the cover. It will overfill and blow out the vent tube when you drive it.

TRBO VNM

Valvoline SynPower also has the modifier in it. It doesn't say it on the bottle but if you go to their site and download the specs on it you will find that it does have it already. Just passing the info along.

Thanks. Usually use factory, RP or Mobil 1. I think I have used Amsoil once. I plan to stick with those.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

The new upgraded Ford Racing cover comes with longer bolts that need to be used because the OEM bolts would be too short. The new cover has a thicker flange on it as it is a LOT beefier than the OEM cover.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread