Having issues with my 03 termi. Not sure whats going on. Please help!

mitchgaglione

Established Member
I just got an 03 terminator and it was sitting for a couple months while waiting for the registration to come in through the mail because all the DMVs are closed due to corona. I got my reg and started driving the car. I noticed that when i give the car a little extra throttle, the engine will do a skip like thing and and jerk the car. I figured it was just some water go into the fuel somehow by sitting for a couple months so i put some water remover in the tank along with filling it up with gas. it seemed to work for a few days but then yesterday i noticed the coolant was a little low so i filled it up to the fill line on the tank. Today i drove it a short distance and it started doing the skipping/jerking thing again and i looked down at the coolant temp gauge and it was all the way hot so i immediately pulled over and opened the hood to see what might be the problem. I opened the coolant tank after waiting a couple minutes and it started flowing out. I really have no idea what is going on as I am new to the mustang world. If you know anything that might help please let me know.

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I would check if you have blown head gaskets. I know amazon sells a kit that can test for hydrocarbons in the coolant overflow tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nxhappy

Established Member
not good at all. when coolant pumps out of the tank, that could be a possible blown head gasket. first off STOP DRIVING the car. you can blow the motor. you need to do a compression test. if one cylinder has low compression, you have a blown head gasket. Also check the oil. if it is "milky" same thing, blown gasket.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Two common areas.

Over flow tank. Plastic.

It’s known to crack on the bottom and suck in air.

Cap may also suck in air
LMR sells a tank

Radiator. 17yrs old 3 core replacement will help

mitchgaglione

Established Member
There is steam coming from the coolant tank area. Not sure if it’s actually the coolant tank or the radiator but there is definitely steam. Also might just be burning off coolant that overflowed out of the tank

EDIT: I think it was just coolant burning off that overflowed out of the tank because after driving it wasn’t steaming anymore.

Last edited:

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Did you check your oil like mentioned to make sure the oil doesn't look like a milkshake?
If it's frothy and milky looking you have coolant getting into the oil. Either blown head gasket or cracked cylinder.

hotcobra03

Established Member
If you don’t have a tool that can read temperature thru data link connection

I would think about shopping

I hand tuner is a must

I good code scanner is another

Both will be will worth the investment

Not over heating is only half.
Running around on the edge isn’t good

Another item. Is our cooling fan.
The ring is known to break and stop it from spinning

For me. Had car new
Had head issues along the way.

By 200k I had replaced drivers head.
I had tools now. And seen 215 all the time yet read many threads of running 180.

I have now did 3 core /170 tstat
Than with hand tuner changed fan settings

I now see 180 dead heat with ac. Sweet

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would get something that'll let you see coolant temps - the guage isn't very helpful - you get stone cold, warm and cooked. Remember the stock high speed fan turn on temp is around 228. Id just monitor temps and coolant levels for a bit. It could be as simple as a poor burping job, to a leaky tank/cap or worst case a head gasket but I wouldn't get ahead of myself.

Lastly, any time I've burped a new edge 4 valve it took 3 cycles to keep they crossover full

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's also a way to see the temp on the dash. Something about holding the trip reset button while starting the car. It'll show up in the odometer spot.

210 isn't bad if you're running a stock thermostat and fan settings.

CobraSam

Established Member
Did you resolve your issue? Did you check for vacuum leaks? Jerking and hesitation, as you have described, are classic signs of a vacuum leak.

Users who are viewing this thread