Headlight bulb review silverstars not the best!

HIErPwRd

Established Member
dang..

thanks for the further input guys, but i guess this sets me back to square one...

most streets are unlit out here, so i cant compromise much any brightness, and i definately want to have matching fogs and heads....

lastly i'd like to keep cost down and run bulbs that are warrantied, ideally over a year :shrug:

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
The bulbs aren't ricey at all, IMO, I can't really see how anyone would think they are?

I came from silverstars and didn't notice much difference. I haven't had one bit of trouble driving at night with them, especially if you ever need highbeams, which I found to seem brighter than silverstars, since they are so white. Sorry that some of you don't like them.

Guess you need 20/20 vision at night to use these ones :beer:

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
pj_rage said:
The bulbs aren't ricey at all, IMO, I can't really see how anyone would think they are?

I came from silverstars and didn't notice much difference. I haven't had one bit of trouble driving at night with them, especially if you ever need highbeams, which I found to seem brighter than silverstars, since they are so white. Sorry that some of you don't like them.

Guess you need 20/20 vision at night to use these ones :beer:

Its no biggie. But I agree, I dont think they look ricey either. Just not bright enough. I think the voltage in our headlights suck anyways.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Well, I received mine today and installed both the head and foglight bulbs. I'll see if I like them once it gets dark out.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I really like the bulbs. I'd prefer them to be a little brighter but other than that, they rock. The white color is much nicer than the yellow of the stock lights.

If I can find the thread, I may do the fog light mod that allows them to remain on even with brights. The brights light up the road far away pretty well but for seeing close up, I could use the fogs on at the same time. I worry about deer jumping out at night.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
flyn high again said:
I really like the bulbs. I'd prefer them to be a little brighter but other than that, they rock. The white color is much nicer than the yellow of the stock lights.

If I can find the thread, I may do the fog light mod that allows them to remain on even with brights. The brights light up the road far away pretty well but for seeing close up, I could use the fogs on at the same time. I worry about deer jumping out at night.
I think there is a reason that the fogs turn off when the highs are on. Current draw is my bet. I would be careful...

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Well, I like them! Anyone trying to get rid of a set please PM me. I can use a 2nd pair to keep handy. :-D

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
Bulbs arrived today...nicely packaged to protect them. First inspection suggests this is a nice product. I will post pics this weekend as I get a chance to install the bulbs.
~Darren

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
SilverStallion said:
Bulbs arrived today...nicely packaged to protect them. First inspection suggests this is a nice product. I will post pics this weekend as I get a chance to install the bulbs.
~Darren
Shouldn't take longer than 90 seconds to change them out! Let us know how they look :pop:

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
Ok...I installed the bulbs this morning, and while I had the lenses out, I decided to detail the car behind the lenses with Klasse...turned out to be a longer install for an obsessed Stanger. :)

Anyway, here are some pics of the product, a comparison of the stock and Xenon Bulbs, as well as a comparison between the Xenon Bulbs, and the real Xenon Lights on my BMW.

Here are my contributions to the pics in this thread.
The Product:
DSC02358-vi.jpg

Driver - Xenon Bulb, Passenger - Stock Bulb.
DSC02368-vi.jpg

Stock Bulb:
DSC02370-vi.jpg

Xenon Charged Bulb:
DSC02369-vi.jpg

Comparison...bulbs vs. real Xenon System:
DSC02371-vi.jpg

Finished Product:
DSC02381-vi.jpg

~Darren

Last edited:

SilverStallion

Attn To Detail
Established Member
03 svtvenom said:
And your opinion is?

Good point; I should have made a statement in that regard. I would say that they are definitely an improvement over the stockers in the looks department. As for night vision, all I can say is that they lit up my garage more than the stockers, but I will have to reserve judgement until I take the car out at night.

In my opinion, they are in no way rice as the beam is highly white on to the eye, and on the wall...they look blue at the odd angle, yet the light that is shone is definitely white...not blue.

The tone is surprisingly close to my BMW believe it or not, but at the same time, there is no replacement for true H.I.D. lights, in no way do I want people to think that I am suggesting they are that close. The light output of my BMW is far stronger for sure.

Anyway, again, I would purchse them for the car again...I give them the thumbs up. :thumbsup:

~Darren

Matt M PA

Established Member
I installed the Silverstar 9007 in the headlights, and 9005s for the fogs.

A nice improvement over stock..and still legal. Well, maybe the 9005s in the fogs isn't 100%. The whiter light is nice, and the extra light down low from the fogs is nice too.

They have been in for a number of months in my daily driver Cobra with no issues. In fact, I used my infrared thermometer and checked the fog's wiring, plugs and lenses after they were left on for quite a while. Slight increase in the lense temp, (with the car standing still the whole time)..but everything else remained as stock.

My '05 Excursion uses the same 9145, and I switched that over to a stock 9005. HUGE difference there. It's a shame that the '05 Exs and SDs use a new H13 or 9008 bulb that (due to DOT rules) cannot be made into a coated bulb, like a Silverstar.

When I decided to go for the 9005s in the fogs on both these vehicles, I was concerned that I would be blinding other drivers...yet no one ever flashes at me...so it's all good.

Another note about lighting. Replacing the bulb will give you more output, but will not change the pattern of the light as the lense is handling that. In other words, if your lights currently have a given "pattern"..this will not change...it will only get brighter.

Finally, some of the inexpensive bulbs sold as "Xenon" and the like are all imported stuff that in most cases is not DOT compliant. Some are sold as using the same wattage, yet putting out twice the light. This is simply impossible and a marketing ploy. These cheap bulbs are known for burning out wiring and the like. Some friends have an auto parts store and I ahve heard the horror stories of the cheap bulbs.

pj_rage

Mustang Enthusiast
Established Member
Matt M said:
I installed the Silverstar 9007 in the headlights, and 9005s for the fogs.

A nice improvement over stock..and still legal. Well, maybe the 9005s in the fogs isn't 100%. The whiter light is nice, and the extra light down low from the fogs is nice too.

They have been in for a number of months in my daily driver Cobra with no issues. In fact, I used my infrared thermometer and checked the fog's wiring, plugs and lenses after they were left on for quite a while. Slight increase in the lense temp, (with the car standing still the whole time)..but everything else remained as stock.

My '05 Excursion uses the same 9145, and I switched that over to a stock 9005. HUGE difference there. It's a shame that the '05 Exs and SDs use a new H13 or 9008 bulb that (due to DOT rules) cannot be made into a coated bulb, like a Silverstar.

When I decided to go for the 9005s in the fogs on both these vehicles, I was concerned that I would be blinding other drivers...yet no one ever flashes at me...so it's all good.

Another note about lighting. Replacing the bulb will give you more output, but will not change the pattern of the light as the lense is handling that. In other words, if your lights currently have a given "pattern"..this will not change...it will only get brighter.

Finally, some of the inexpensive bulbs sold as "Xenon" and the like are all imported stuff that in most cases is not DOT compliant. Some are sold as using the same wattage, yet putting out twice the light. This is simply impossible and a marketing ploy. These cheap bulbs are known for burning out wiring and the like. Some friends have an auto parts store and I ahve heard the horror stories of the cheap bulbs.
I hated my silverstars, yellow as hell and not enough brighter for me to waste all that money on them :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread