Hellion or HP Performance for a 4V?

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
32V GT said:
GOOD GOD!! Why do you need that much power? My goal is to run a low 10 with a suspension that I could do well in autoX and road races with. (Thats asking a lot but there will be adjustability in the suspension shocks etc.). I think I only need about 650-700 rwhp I just want to get there with as little boost as possible.

BTW: Why don't you go with a big single? Like an 88 or maybe a 101?
LOL...I don't 'need' that much power, but I want it. And I want it to be streetable too. It's not like I am going to drive around on big boost and race gas all the time. I should be able to make close to 800 on 15lbs and 93 octane gas though. Trying to spool an 88mm or especially a 101mm turbo with a 281ci is pretty much a waste of time. Twins will outperform those in every category, except the 101mm for peak HP.

You can take the THP twin 57's or 61's and make 700HP ALL day long on low boost and pump gas. The turbos will spool crazy fast too. And, if you ever decide to turn it up, the power is there whenever you want it. Like what was said, you can't really go wrong with any of these kits. I looked at all of them hard before I made my decision. I took the one that was going to make the most HP on the least amount of boost, had the best turbo placement, the best components like Tial wastegates and BOV, and the one that had the most WOW factor.

Blown02

Established Member
thats a sullivan intake, think it retails for around $900, but ive heard mixed reviews on it. I think it looks killer and I was about to get it.

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
The THP kit comes with the Sullivan intake, plenum, and rails. All the info on the kit is on the website.

Here's a couple pics of my turbos.

turbos2.jpg

turbos_side.jpg

TRBO VNM

if you only want to make that much power, the single 66 will spool very fast and make that power and more. and you can always upgrade to the 76 later if you feel you want more power than the 66 can provide.

I know with the hellion the sullivan and stock 99-01 cobra intake/mach intake were tested and peak only saw 9rwhp increase. not sure about under the curve, but conclusion was that it wasn't work it for the money needed to spend to get it to work.

Blown02

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
if you only want to make that much power, the single 66 will spool very fast and make that power and more. and you can always upgrade to the 76 later if you feel you want more power than the 66 can provide.

I know with the hellion the sullivan and stock 99-01 cobra intake/mach intake were tested and peak only saw 9rwhp increase. not sure about under the curve, but conclusion was that it wasn't work it for the money needed to spend to get it to work.
Ive heard they make a little more than stock peak hp, but under the curve they loose, might loost some top end tq, but I have no evidence or results, so its not worth anything.

IMO the only way to go as far as intakes go is a fr500 or something along those lines. with a short runner, the shorter the runners the worst your bottom end power is but the more top end power your going to make. a fr500 intake has the best of both worlds, long and short runners when you need them! :beer: but it is costly!

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
I don't think anyone has really tested the Sullivan on a built engine, at least that I have heard. Seems like we've only heard what it does on a stock engine and lower RPM's. We'll see how much power and torque it makes when it's really put to the test on my car. The Sullivan will shine above 5000RPM all things being equal.

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Well I am thinking if I come into the money that I hoping for, I either want a Hellion or HP kit, I would get either the HP stage 1 or the Hellion with the T66. So out of those two which would spool the quickest and which would make more power. The power really isn't an issue a the moment considering I am on stock bottom end.

Blown02

Established Member
the st.1 hp comes with twin 50s now, I believe with external wastegates. they upgraded the st.1 kit from 46s to 50s. i know the twin 50s will hit peak boost before 3k or right at it.

TRBO VNM

Blown02 said:
the st.1 hp comes with twin 50s now, I believe with external wastegates. they upgraded the st.1 kit from 46s to 50s. i know the twin 50s will hit peak boost before 3k or right at it.

same with the hellion 66 regarding full boost rpm.

Blown02

Established Member
My twin 57s are soppose to hit peak boost at like 2800rpms,they for sure hit by 3k, so Im not positive about the 50s for sure.

TRBO VNM

Blown02 said:
My twin 57s are soppose to hit peak boost at like 2800rpms,they for sure hit by 3k, so Im not positive about the 50s for sure.

when are you suppose to have it done? would be good info to have for sure.

04Chris

Chicane straightner
Established Member
I'm glad i found this thread. 32V GT looks like he's planning on doing something similar to what i want to do. I was thinking about the Hellion T76 for a few reasons. I like the Maximum Motorsports parts. I have a bunch already. I like having less piping under the hood. The piping from twins would make me have to take my brake cooling ducts off. I like to auto-x and opentrack the car. That's what it's set up for now. I would like to make more power and the turbo is a really good way to do it, especially since i've been having some belt issues at the opentrack events i've been to :fm: .

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
Go with the Hellion kit. The THP kit is nice too but twins are twice the trouble when something goes wrong. I think all things being equal the spool time will be similar. Your car is making the same amount of exhaust energy to spool a turbo no matter what, whether it be one bigger one or two smaller ones. It's not like you're defeating some hidden laws of physics by using twins. Sppol also has a lot to do with the size of the housing on the turbine side. The HP kit uses a relatively small turbine side and they spool up damn quick. The downside of that is they become a restriction at higher flow levels (at high RPM). It's a double edged sword, and you can't have it all.

Why I like singles:

Easy to set up as draw through
Simple
More choices with turbo placement

The one thing about twins that is nice is you don't have to worry about restrictions on the downpipe.. Two 2.5" downpipes on the twins compared to one 3" on the single is no comparison at all.

Last edited:

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
04Chris said:
I'm glad i found this thread. 32V GT looks like he's planning on doing something similar to what i want to do. I was thinking about the Hellion T76 for a few reasons. I like the Maximum Motorsports parts. I have a bunch already. I like having less piping under the hood. The piping from twins would make me have to take my brake cooling ducts off. I like to auto-x and opentrack the car. That's what it's set up for now. I would like to make more power and the turbo is a really good way to do it, especially since i've been having some belt issues at the opentrack events i've been to :fm: .

I'm not sure the power curve of a turbo cobra would be great for auto-x, just my opinion.

Hepcat007

Established Member
Being an HP Performance customer, I would have to advise you to go with the Hellion kit. They work with Bassani, so the piping is all good. One year later and I have basically had to re-do my entire kit because the components (on my kit) were garbage, the welds (on my kit) are crap, the customer service has been horrible, Fitment was awful, the exhaust looked like some carnival freak show, and the instructions are a joke. Basically the only thing that holds the turbos to the car is 2 little clamps. If i get a chance, I'll put up some pics of the way the kit was when I first got it and how (with the help of Brad Edington) we were able to improve the kit and make it functional.

Blown02

Established Member
Hepcat007 said:
Being an HP Performance customer, I would have to advise you to go with the Hellion kit. They work with Bassani, so the piping is all good. One year later and I have basically had to re-do my entire kit because the components (on my kit) were garbage, the welds (on my kit) are crap, the customer service has been horrible, Fitment was awful, the exhaust looked like some carnival freak show, and the instructions are a joke. Basically the only thing that holds the turbos to the car is 2 little clamps. If i get a chance, I'll put up some pics of the way the kit was when I first got it and how (with the help of Brad Edington) we were able to improve the kit and make it functional.
damn im sorry to hear that, i heard alot of horrer stories in hps early days.. My welds were really nice, pping looked great, everything fit and works awesome! i dont know about the instruction to, i didnt install it.

Users who are viewing this thread