Votes: 42 32.1%
  • Chevrolet Duramax

Votes: 19 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blackmagicmach

The PoPo
Established Member
im a tow truck driver, and look around most of it is ford trucks..... we have a unit here with over 240 thousand miles on it and it still will pull anything we can throw at it btw its a 7.3. the new 6.4's are bigest hunk of junks out their hands down.... the truck as about 15k mikes on it and it has a anew motor already (melted a glow plug and burnt some pistons) its been in and out of the shop since we have bought it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
if your buying a brand new truck, then there is quite a bit of assumptions, hear-say, and BS in this thread.

08 ram with cummins
the good: the engine is definatly the strongest, has the most potential, has the most aftermarket, and is pretty the same engine as before(the 5.9) with a little more stroke(up to 6.7). the trucks as a whole have a pretty good aftermarket, albiet not as big as the superduty. pretty solid trucks too. the new aisin 6 speed auto is supposed to be a VERY good transmission.
the bad: ive been reading that these 6.7s aren't doing so well with a chip/tune because of the emissions crap(particulate filter/regen cycle). not sure how they are doing with the emissions crap bypassed though. crappy dodge interior.

08 silverado HD with the duramax
the good: its a duramax, meaning it LOVES chips. you will more than likely see more power just from a chip out of a duramax than from the powerstroke or cummins. the duramax(as much as i dislike it) is a VERY solid engine and has proven its ability to hang with the cummins, mod for mod. while not as big as the cummins, the duramax has a very strong aftermarket too. the trucks are the most car like of the 3, nice interior, and good solid trucks. when compared to like-optioned ford and dodge pickups, the cheby is usually the lightest too. good 6 speed auto.
the bad: its the most car like of the 3, if you plan to lift it and do any real wheeling, you are hampered by its IFS. and its pretty much universal opinion that the chebys are HIDEOUS(although the GMCs do look pretty good).

08 superduty with powerstroke
the good: arguably the most solid truck of the 3, pretty much univerally claimed to have the best interior, and the truck it self(engine aside) has a very strong aftermarket. the 6.4, while still relatively young in its life, has proven to be very potent when you start modding it, due to the inclusion of common rail injection. reliability has been MUCH improved over the early 6.0l powerstrokes(although they were blown out of proportion a bit), and most owners havn't had much in the way of reliability issues with the truck as a whole. lots of innovative options in the new superduties(the special heater thingy that doesnt need time to heat up, the tailget step/handle, etc.).
the bad: definatly the heaviest of the 3, the 6.4 isn't proven like the duramax/cummins(they are very similar to their previous iterations) since it hasn't been on the market as long, usually come in a little more expensive than the other 2 also. styling is hit or miss for most people(i love it, but thats just me). the 6.4 also has the least aftermarket support of the 3, but its slowly climbing. unfortunatly, hampered some by the 5 speed auto. although the 6.4 is a good engine for the majority of owners, there is a minority that have had major issues with them.

why didn't i get into the transmissions much? because all 3 will need rebuilt transmissions if you want to do much more than chip the trucks. the allison is overrated BIG TIME, it is no stronger than the other 2. as for the sticks, well, good luck finding one!

i would go for the superduty since im a ford man, love the looks, and i think its the best all around truck. but, you should do a lot of research on ALL of the trucks and make your decision from there.

Last edited:

sb306

Established Member
I have a 04 powerstroke and its ran good. It had a tuner set to max for the first 60k miles that I had it. I drove it very hard. It has 85k miles now and no tuner anymore. Still running strong.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
I just picked up an F-250 Super Duty 3 weeks ago.
It's a great truck period.
Mine is a gas 5.4l since it's not used to haul anything heavy.

My friend has a 6.4 Powerstroke in his 08 and he needed to reflash it with a Bullydog to get any reasonable fuel consumption out of it.
Since then he says it runs much better.
DSCN0428.jpg

Last edited:

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
05 PSD CC here and its never been back for service. Only 16K on it though. Its awesome on long trips even when towing a car. NO white knuckle driving at all. Tons of power with a SCT tuner, Airaid intake, and Turbo back exhaust. I am a Ford guy and would NEVER be caught in any new GM truck. Deff NO UGLY Dodge for sure.

Last edited:

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
Awesome info fellas! I appreciate the input. Let me add a few things to clarify what my intentions are for this truck....

- I don't want a 4X4. 2WD is just fine for me since I never plan to go off-road.
- I'm keeping the stock size tires on it. No need to go bigger IMO.
- I don't plan to mod it at all. If I do, it would only be an intake and maybe an exhaust. (Gas mileage)
- It'll definitely have to be an automatic. I'm way too spoiled to get a stick. I like the sound of the Dodge 6-Speed Auto.

Has anyone heard a rumor that Dodge is switching their diesel transmission program over to Allison? I heard that a while ago from a friend but didn't know how legit it was. It seems like Chevy would have been smart enough to enter into an exclusive contract with Allison to prevent other makes from uses their trannies as a selling point.

ModularMax

Fast Cars & Freedom
Established Member
Everything else aside if aesthetics mean anything to you then based on looks it would go like this:

Ford
Ford
Chevy
Honda Civic
Toyota Pirus
Datsun 521
Dodge Ram

The dodge trucks are get flat out ugly as sin, I'm sorry but the look of the dodge trucks really makes me wonder how much acid their design team dose

mustangmiller

Deuce Performance
Established Member
I vote dodge. Im a ford man to the core but I just have not been a huge fan of the superduty after the 7.3 I think the doge is a better motor.

IMO the ford has better looks and comforts but thats about all it has going for it.

Last edited:

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
my dad has two cummins, the old 12v and the new 24valve, both are incredible trucks, will haul anything you could want to.

All I can say is GET THE MANUAL TRANS if you plan on towing much, our older one is an auto, on its fourth trans

mustangmiller

Deuce Performance
Established Member
Has anyone heard a rumor that Dodge is switching their diesel transmission program over to Allison? I heard that a while ago from a friend but didn't know how legit it was. It seems like Chevy would have been smart enough to enter into an exclusive contract with Allison to prevent other makes from uses their trannies as a selling point.

I dont know that its a rumor anymore. Im not positive but I think you can get that combo now. If so thats just plain bad ass!

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Awesome info fellas! I appreciate the input. Let me add a few things to clarify what my intentions are for this truck....

- I don't want a 4X4. 2WD is just fine for me since I never plan to go off-road.
- I'm keeping the stock size tires on it. No need to go bigger IMO.
- I don't plan to mod it at all. If I do, it would only be an intake and maybe an exhaust. (Gas mileage)
- It'll definitely have to be an automatic. I'm way too spoiled to get a stick. I like the sound of the Dodge 6-Speed Auto.

The best thing you can do for gas mileage is a chip, period. It will pay for itself very quickly.

scotty98

8 Ribs
Established Member
i own both a 7.3psd and a 24v cummins. I use them both for work and will say the ford is a better truck. my cummins gets better milage but the dodge around it sucks. If you are going to spend any time in the truck and or use it for a family, pick the ford. If you are looking at a 6.0 get an 05 or newer as they had most of the problems fixed by then. And the new 6.4tt is nice but dont expect more then 10mpg with it stock.

If i was to get a truck i would make sure its an 07 an older so you dont have all the emissions sh*t on them:beer:

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Duramax/allison

Hey guys although I like mine, I'm not sticking up for the Duramax.

Just curious how many of you have actually owned and or driven newer ones "late 06-08".

What were the problems. What should I be looking out for. Mine is an early 07.

Users who are viewing this thread