Here it is Shelby GT

asperformance

Banned
Where are you getting a G.T 500 for 44K, I know the sticker on mine was onl 43K and change, but I sure paid more than that.

My 2007 Shelby GT500 MSRP was $45,060.00,with the 3 options added to it. [1]-Leather-up-grade-[2]-Sirius-Radio-[3]Shaker-1000-Speakers,that totaled out to MSRP=#45,060.00--with the $1,300.00-Gas-Guzler-Tax-included in the MSRP.

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
A complete ripoff. IMHO the GT500 guys should be ticked- Ford is diluting the marque so much they should offer a stack of free quick reference guides with each car. You hand them to the other drivers so they can figure out what the hell they just raced.

They should have made it a $4k optional Sport Package for anyone that buys a GT and wants one. Kept it really low key but distinctive and available..

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
03SoCalCobra said:
A complete ripoff. IMHO the GT500 guys should be ticked- Ford is diluting the marque so much they should offer a stack of free quick reference guides with each car. You hand them to the other drivers so they can figure out what the hell they just raced.

They should have made it a $4k optional Sport Package for anyone that buys a GT and wants one. Kept it really low key but distinctive and available..

Your Sport Package idea is really a good idea.

The performance upgrades to todays Shelby GT-H and Shelby GT's such as throwing on headers, MAF, a K&N cone and a tune are merely "token" upgrades compared to what was done to the classics such as the addition of a more aggressive cam, polished heads, adding 4 barrel carburator, race tuning just to name a few.

These models again are merely being done to throw a few "token" upgrades onto the base GT so that the "Shelby" name can be added to the car to give it branding. It's in reality a "Rolex" knockoff since it is nowhere like the classics that they are mimicing.

asperformance

Banned
The gas guzzler if Federal mandated for any car that has to run premium Fuel from the factory. The Vette has it the viper has it. It is not just a ford thing, I had to pay it on my First 03 Cobra, It was a First run car, the 04's did not have it because it was not mandated in 04. as for getting a G.T 500 for 5K over MSRP, where you find one for that, my Was 43K and 14K over, they are bringing 20K ove so that is $63,000 the Shelby G.T is $38,000 with Shelby package, Mine was $2000 over so I paid $40,000 for it, that is $23,000 less than a G.T 500. So which is a better deal. 07 ZO6 is $90,000 right now. so please don't compare.

asperformance

Banned
and Cobrakindaguy, the only thing the 60's Shelby had the new one's don't is headers and a cam, I don't think that would be a practical swap on the new cars, it would really be costly. Plus my 66 shelby doesn't have air, Power steering power brakes or even a radio. To me the Shelby G.T is more a Shelby than the 500. At least Shelby builds the Shelby G.T. And one question so have any of you driven a Shelby G.T or a G.T 500.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
asperformance said:
and Cobrakindaguy, the only thing the 60's Shelby had the new one's don't is headers and a cam, I don't think that would be a practical swap on the new cars, it would really be costly. Plus my 66 shelby doesn't have air, Power steering power brakes or even a radio. To me the Shelby G.T is more a Shelby than the 500. At least Shelby builds the Shelby G.T. And one question so have any of you driven a Shelby G.T or a G.T 500.

I think the new ones do have the Ford Racing shortie headers on them.

I agree that the new Shelby GT is more of a Shelby than the new GT500 by virtue of it actually going to the Shelby warehouse to have the modifications done.

Last edited:

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
asperformance said:
And one question so have any of you driven a Shelby G.T or a G.T 500.

I haven't driven a Shelby GT but I have made the same modifications to my 06 GT and then some that it allows me to make the comparison as to how the Shelby GT would perform compared to the stock S197 model GT.

I have driven a new GT500 though and can make comparisons to my 03 Cobra Terminator. The GT500 has the Terminator beat in driveability / handling. As for power the torque is the first thing I noticed. The GT500 seems to be a bit more "instantaneous" than the Terminator. I can't find a closer word than "instantaneous" to describe what I mean so I guess I will have to leave it at that. I can only account for the more "instant" feeling by the fact that the GT500 just plain has a bigger and more powerful powerplant.

asperformance

Banned
I disagree, I have had 10 03's and I took my 07 Shelby 500 to the track last week, it only ran a 12,80. all my 03's well most have ran 12,40's to 12'60 stock. I know the G.T 500 weighs a lot more. As for the the shelby G.T they do not have Headers installed, well at least mine does not.

69b302

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
I agree that the new Shelby GT is more of a Shelby than the new GT500 by virtue of it actually going to the Shelby warehouse to have the modifications done.

Mr Shelby spends virtually zero time at Shelby Autos. His main focus is his charity work. Both cars GT500 and Shelby GT, are strictly marketing and do not have any of the original race heritage of the early 60s Shelby's.

chuckstang

Established Member
a z06 does not go for $90k
there is your problem right there.
They can be had easily for under msrp, just go to corvetteforum

JD03Cobra

Who's your Daddy!
Established Member
posi said:
Any opinions on the price please post.

Wait for the new Camaro to come out, put a hurt'n on this car performance wise and cost $14,000 less.

I'll pass on this pooper.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
i work at a ford dealership and we have two shelby GT's on the way that i can sell for $42k, and more after those.

call me at 1-800-835-3247

Kenneth @ Calvin Ford

Last edited:

asperformance

Banned
Chuck, the new ZO6 Sells in the 90K range, you may buy a used 02 up to 05 ZO6 reasonalby, But everyone I talk to that has a new ZO6 except for 1 has paid almost 90K for it new, No one is getting a new ZO6 for MSRP. Be like a dealership throwing money away.

dirty_canadian

Team Beast Coatings.
Established Member
asperformance said:
Chuck, the new ZO6 Sells in the 90K range, you may buy a used 02 up to 05 ZO6 reasonalby, But everyone I talk to that has a new ZO6 except for 1 has paid almost 90K for it new, No one is getting a new ZO6 for MSRP. Be like a dealership throwing money away.

i know plenty of people that have paid in the $70'S

hell i work for ford and i think you need to quit hyping the thing, lol

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
asperformance said:
I disagree, I have had 10 03's and I took my 07 Shelby 500 to the track last week, it only ran a 12,80. all my 03's well most have ran 12,40's to 12'60 stock. I know the G.T 500 weighs a lot more. As for the the shelby G.T they do not have Headers installed, well at least mine does not.

10 03 Terminators??!??!!! :eek: You mean you have owned 10 over the last 4 years? Why have you gone through so many???

You are correct in that the Shelby GT lacks the FR headers...my mistake. I thought it had the Ford Racing Drag Pak (FR2) and the FR Handling Pak (FR3) installed on it but it is the FR1 and FR3 pak which is absent the shorties.

You would think that the Shelby factory would have at least put the shorties on the car so they could at least have earned the money they are charging for the damn thing.

asperformance

Banned
Most os my 03/04's have been rebuilds, I buy wrecks and fix them, However I did by 2 new 03's when they came out. I have also owned 11 93 Cobras, Currently have 2 07's a 500 and a Shelby G.T. I also have a 93-R and a 95-R a 95 Cobra I bought new, 2 03 Cobras Hard top and a vert wich are forsale and I als have a 79 Pace Car, I sold my 66 Shelby to buy my 07 Shelby and paind off a lot of bills. So I guess I have had my share of toys over the years. And as for shelby installling headers, thier is really no need on a stock motor, hell even a SC motor. The Ford maniflods flow etremely well, pluse the 4.6 doesn't have much torque as it is, you woudl want to keep some back pressure on it. Putting big hearders on the new 4.6 really doesn't help. So to me it would just be wasted money. My first 03 I bought new runs 10,30's at 136 MPH with stock exhaust manifolds on it. The price on the shelby g.t would just go up if he would have installed headers and that would just give ppeople more stuff to complain about.

Users who are viewing this thread