HID 6000Ks are installed with pics

TK Doom

Established Member
I used a standard bosch type automotive relay. The SPDT (single poll, double throw) will have 5 terminals on it instead of 4 that everyone is used to. You can find them at most electronics stores, auto parts stores or places like summit, jegs, etc. Sorry no pics. I installed every thing to be hidden/look factory so I would have to pull a bunch of stuff apart to take pics. It is really hard to tell I have them just by looking under the hood. Wired: terminal number: 85= ground, 86= tapped into the high beam wire, 30= low beam wire from vehicle, 87a= low beam wire from hi/low module. When the high beams are energized, the relay will also be energized and cut power to the low beams. This will enable the module to now switch from low to high. When the high beams are de-energized, the relay will close and power will be restored to the low beams.

So, the way I read this, with that installed, the flash to pass becomes a momentary on toggle, which turns off teh low beams. While that is a workaround, it is also not the way flash to pass works. Flash to pass activates the high beams, regardless of whether the lows are on or off.

So if you flash to pass during the day, just the hi-beams should come on, if you flash to pass at night, the highs come on with the lows still on.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
The problem lies with the control module for the HID lights and how the bulb actually operates from low to high. Also from my under standing, these HID bulbs do not actually have a "high/low" setting. To get high beams, the bulb changes position in the housing to change the beam pattern. In stock form, our cars energize the high beam part of the bulb and low beam part at the same time just as you explained. This is possible because the bulb has two filliments in it. The HID bulbs do not. If you energize both high and low beams on the module, it just confuses the module and stays in low beam mode. With this relay set-up I have installed, it prevents the car from energizing both at the same time. When you flash to pass with an HID kit, you really are only changing the beam pattern by moving the bulb. Not actually energizing and de-energizing a filliment. It is physically impossible with this style kit to have both high and low on simultaneously because the bulb can not be at two places at the same time.

VincodeY

Established Member
troof. and dont leave your car off for the burn in period...it will kill your battery in a matter of minutes.

GostaFly

Established Member
Did anyone ever get the 5000K pictures on a black car? I just ordered the hi/lo/fog setup and I am curious. How does the cutoff look? I am used to projectors and HID setups so I know these won't be as clean but I don't want a huge blob of light.

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
Did anyone ever get the 5000K pictures on a black car? I just ordered the hi/lo/fog setup and I am curious. How does the cutoff look? I am used to projectors and HID setups so I know these won't be as clean but I don't want a huge blob of light.

Bringing this up from the dead because I'd like to see the 5K on a black car as well.

Thanks

GostaFly

Established Member
I just installed my Low/High and Fogs a week ago and couldn't be happier. It is definatly a little disorganized light (no projector cutoff like I am used to) but still much brighter. the 5000K is really a very very white with just the very slight hint of blue. My 6000K on my last supra were too blue for my liking.

I'll see if I can get some pics but the weather has sucked here lately.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Not yet. Actually going to be a little while. Ended up putting the car in storage to clear up some room to finish a quick project. Shoulld be able to take some pics in 2-3 weeks when I bring it back home. Sorry for the delay. I will take the pics as soon as it comes home. :)

SLPRCTM

Established Member
Not here.
1- I totally forgot because I hardly ever take the car out at night.
2- I ended up removing the head light HID kit because the beam pattern was never satisfactory to me no matter what I changed or modified. (anyone want to by a 5000K HID kit? LOL!)
3- Can't get any pics of the fogs right now because I currently have no radiator in the car to be able to move it out.

Sorry I'm not much help.... :)

SLPRCTM

Established Member
The beam pattern comes out like more of a blob of light with one bright spot pointing up and to the right. The problem with this kit is the bulb moves and is never in the factory location. The high beam pattern is way better than the low beam pattern but neither are great. The factory reflector is designed to have the light sorce in an exact position for a proper pattern and the movement of the bulb for high/low beams prevents this. I even tried installing the bulbs upside down to try and get the better pattern for the low beams. This way the beam pattern was a little better but not good. I never took any pics with the HID setup because I removed it not too long after installing it. I ended up using Sylvania Silver Star bulbs for head lights and kept the HID bulb in the fogs. I also fixed the backwards high/low problem in this kit along with making the "flash to pass" functional again. The over all kit is nice but the bulb design is severly lacking in the "correct for this application" catagory. I am super picky about how my light beam pattern is when I drive. Certain types of lights just don't help much including LED type flash lights. My thought is this issue I had is probably 50/50 my eyes and this kit. So, if anyone is lookingf for a 5000k HID high/low beam kit for a 2003 Cobra, let me know. I will sell it cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread