High Intensity Discharge HID Projector Light Retrofit

Ryushin

Established Member
My Retrofiter finished up my lights and is shipping them out today. I wanted to get HID lights done right and have the absolute best product available. After months of researching, I choose my retrofiter and the product I wanted installed. I took Taz's Cobra as an example and researched from there.

Here are some reasons why putting HID bulbs into a halogen reflector are a bad idea.

The Details:
I chose Caesar at LightWerkz as my retrofiter. After researching his quality of work and attention to detail it was clear there was no other choice. You can see some of his projects here.

The light setup I chose was what he calls a TFX setup. This is a hi-bred setup that uses a Infinity FX35 Bi-Xenon Projector and a Lens from a Acura TSX. This is a more expensive setup since two projectors are consumed into the making of one But it's small and Bi-Xenon so High and Low Beam still works and it just fits in our light housings.

For bulbs themselves I chose the 55 watt ballasts instead of using the OEM 35 watt. Originally, based on what I've been reading, OEM bulbs and ballasts are the highest quality and are consistently superior to most aftermaket HID bulbs and ballasts. However, the new 55 watt Digital HID ballasts are on par with OEM in quality and the light output is the best there is.

Originally I drop shipped brand new true Ford OEM light housings from Late Model Restoration to him to use for the retrofit. These cost more than the aftermarket, but I considered since I'm only doing this once, I want it to be the best. Well, after Caesar got them, the sealant used to hold the base and the lens together is some of the worst kind and it would take him hours to separate them. He just went through a Ford F-150 project with that type of sealant and it was a bear to separate them. So back went the Ford OEM housings and I dropped shipped the same factory look non-OEM light housings (a lot cheaper) from Late Model Restoration and returned the OEM ones. The part numbers from Late Model Restoration on the non-OEM housings are LRS-13008J and LRS-13008I. Once Caesar got the new housings and inspected them he said that the sealant was the correct type and the project could move forward.

So it's taken about two months to finish this once I initiated it. Most of the delay was due to getting the correct housings to Caesar, back order delays from Late Model Restoration, and getting on Caesar's waiting list. When he receives half of the funds for the retrofit up front, you go on the waiting list. There were 15 people ahead of me when this project started. By the time he had the correct housings he only had one person ahead of me and he could devote his time to my lights. Every new light project has it's unique challenges and the Cobra's lights proved no different. He spend about week or so working on my lights but now has his design down so future 99-04 lights won't take as long.

Costs Involved:
Retrofit Labor: $325.00
FX35 Projector with TSX Lens Swap: $350.00
E46 Replica Shroud: $100
Digital HID 55 Watt Kit D2S 4300K $220.00
Plug 'n Play Wiring Harness 9007 Bi-Xenon $100 (Click here for Harness Quality)
Housings from Late Model Restoration $130
Plus Shipping costs.

Total Costs: $1,225.00

You can save about $220 on this setup by going with the OEM ballasts and bulbs.

Pics:
Here are the initial pics that Caesar took. I will be taking more once they are installed and pics at night as well when I get them.

cobracomplete1.jpg

cobracomplete2.jpg

cobracomplete3.jpg

cobracomplete4.jpg

cobracomplete5.jpg

Here are some pics of the projector that I took:
hid_projector_10_small.jpg

hid_projector_11_small.jpg

hid_projector_1_small.jpg

hid_projector_2_small.jpg

hid_projector_3_small.jpg

hid_projector_4_small.jpg

hid_projector_5_small.jpg

hid_projector_7_small.jpg

hid_projector_8_small.jpg

hid_projector_9_small.jpg

Pics of the stock headlamp:
stock_1_small.jpg

stock_2_small.jpg

stock_3_small.jpg

stock_4_small.jpg

stock_6_small.jpg

Pics of the Stock Headlamp and the Projector side by side:
stock_and_projector_1_small.jpg

stock_and_projector_2_small.jpg

stock_and_projector_3_small.jpg

Pics of the Harness and Ballasts:
harness_small.jpg

ballasts_small.jpg

Pics of the car with the HID lights installed:
hid_lights_daylight_1_small.jpg

hid_lights_daylight_2_small.jpg

hid_lights_daylight_3_small.jpg

hid_lights_daylight_4_small.jpg

hid_lights_daylight_5_small.jpg

Pics of the rest of my car:
T-1000_left_rear_small.jpg

T-1000_rear_small.jpg

T-1000_right_rear_small.jpg

T-1000_right_side_small.jpg

Pictures of the installation in the order that I took them. I'll flesh this out later into a general installation document:
harness_relay_1_small.jpg

harness_relay_2_small.jpg

ballast_zip_tie_mount_prepare_small.jpg

ballast_zip_tie_mount_in_place_small.jpg

ballast_zip_tie_mount_with_ties_small.jpg

ballast_zip_tie_mount_with_ballast_small.jpg

ballast_zip_tied_down_small.jpg

drivers_side_ballast_done_1_small.jpg

drivers_side_ballast_done_2_small.jpg

harness_passenger_side_route_1_small.jpg

harness_passenger_side_route_2_small.jpg

harness_passenger_side_route_3_small.jpg

ballast_passenger_side_mounting_tape_small.jpg

ballast_passenger_side_mounted_small.jpg

passenger_side_wires_1_small.jpg

passenger_side_wires_2_small.jpg

passenger_side_wires_3_small.jpg

Last edited:

pianoman90

Established Member
Very clean and props for going with the retrofit! Post some pics of it in the car/driving at night when you get them back.

black 10th vert

Established Member
That looks incredible! Big money for headlights, but now you have the best possible, as you said. If/when I can afford to do this, I will go this route myself. Hey, do you think he'd be interested in some type of group purchase? That should get the cost down, since he could buy the parts in bulk if he was doing many of the same model/type.

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
A+ for the work and craftsman ship

however being one of the folks that you frown upon..i can tell you my 8K HID's in stock housing look great and work fine.

I for one would never spend 1200 bucks on it...but more power to you for doing it right.

Ryushin

Established Member
Caesar would probably be open to a group purchase. I don't know what his costs are. I'll let him know and see if he wants to do something like that. Only $325 of that was his labor and I don't want to imagine how long it would take me to do it, and the huge number of hours I would spend on it. $325 was cheap in my eyes. The rest was just in parts.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Damn those look amazing. I can't wait to see what they look like on the car and lit up.

:pepper:

apexasphalt

Storm
Established Member
Right on, props on doing it right bro. but as stated above i would never spend that much for lights. and maybe it's just me but ive seen pics of a mustang with retrofit real hids just like yours, and to me it looks weird, it doesn't look like a mustang when the lights are on. just my opinion but i think the best look is just hids in the stock lights. they look great though. good luck.

Ryushin

Established Member
Well, after driving two cars that have proper HID setups, a Acura MDX and a Saab 93 Aero, I can so whole heartedly, that our lights are just plane awful compared to those. Heck, even the halogens on my CBR929RR are a lot better than lights in our cars.

I've seen HID's put into a stock housing from the wrong end. The things people say about them blinding drivers are totally true. I've never seen it though from inside the car.

Check out some night pics from here and you can see how HID projectors truly work:
http://high-intensity.org/forums/showthread.php?t=542

The light is focused and projected forward and below oncoming drivers. In high beam, an HID projector is incredible. There is a reason why true HID projectors lights cost so much.

Kevin the Clean 1

1 CLEAN 04 SNAKE
Established Member
Ryushin,

I can't wait to see these on your car in the day & in the night time too. Sounds complicated & I'm a little confused but one thing is for sure. Buying the best stuff, is always a good idea... ! :beer:

I'm glad he can do the 99-04 Mustangs now... :rockon:

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
Looks great!!
I'm going to do this as well..
Can you PM me your Retrofiter's contact info?

Thanks,

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Those look great! Can't wait to see them on the car! I have a P&P HID kit on the car now, but have thought about upgrading to a retrofited Projector for some time now. Only $325 for labor is great, can you purchase your own parts and send them all in?

forcefedcobra

Established Member
damn that is alot for headlights but I'm sure well worth it. When I drive my svtf with HID's its like night and day difference compared to my cobra. I would jump all over a pair if somebody made them for about half that price.

Ryushin

Established Member
Looks great!!
I'm going to do this as well..
Can you PM me your Retrofiter's contact info?

Thanks,

There are plenty of links in my original post. In fact I linked everything that I did for this setup. Caesar's site is http://www.lightwerkz.net

Those look great! Can't wait to see them on the car! I have a P&P HID kit on the car now, but have thought about upgrading to a retrofited Projector for some time now. Only $325 for labor is great, can you purchase your own parts and send them all in?

He is VERY flexible. Plenty of people sent in their own parts and have him perform the actual retrofit. Though looking at his prices, they were pretty much on par what it would take me to buy them, and ship them to him. Plus he has all his sources already, and it's just simple google checkout with a credit card and I'm done. Just had to send him the correct housings.

Well I paid to get my lights shipped 3 day ground, and they came next day air instead. So I got them yesterday. I'll be taking them tomorrow to get a clear 3M film put over them to protect them and I'll install them this weekend. His workmanship is first rate. The only things I did to them was seal the rubber grommet around the edge and in the center of the projector with some silicon caulking. Just being extra careful to not let any water in. Also, one of the projectors could move just slightly with a little pressure. Probably in everyday driving nothing would move, but I took a hot glue gun and made a U shaped thick steel wire, inserted it inside the housing between the top of the plastic housing and the top of the projector. A couple dabs of hot glue and it's not moving at all at this point. I'm probably just being anal, but better to safe than sorry. Plus with hot glue, I can undue this fairly easy if I wanted to.

So I'm excited. This weekend I'll be putting in my HID's, and installing my new quiet Borla. Weekend after that comes the SCT Livewire, PLX AFR sender, Billetflow 4 idler pulleys, Billetflow SC Hub with a 3.65 and 2.76 pulleys, and a Amazon tune. I'll verify the tune with the Livewire and go from there. So much for the stock cobra.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Those look great! Can't wait to see them on the car! I have a PIIHB kit on the car now, but have thought about upgrading to a retrofited Projector for some time now. Only $325 for labor is great, can you purchase your own parts and send them all in?

I read this reply too quickly and thought that you said that (above) instead. :lol:

To the OP. Amazing work. I totally commend you on this effort.

I actually got banned from the FJR1300 forum 2 years ago for arguing with the moderator over there that this is the proper way to do HID and not just drop a HID bulb in the Halogen housing. Needless to say the god complex mod banned me and I never went back.

AWESOME job and I can't wait to see pics.

Ryushin

Established Member
i don't undersatnd why some aftermarket company doesn't just make the damn things like that

I think the main reason is that it's just too darn hard to make good HID lights. Overall, the Japanese make the best HID lights and Honda seems to be the top of those. For an aftermarket company to come in, do all the research and design, and then just make a few headlights for certain cars, there just wouldn't be enough money in it for them. It's also probable, that after all their research and design, that their projectors still aren't as good as the Japanese setups. It would also suck, that they will probably make lights for a lot of cars except ours.

So unfortunately, for better or worse, it looks like retrofitting is the way to go. Look at it this way, at least I've done all the homework and provided an easy to use method of getting a true HID setup for our cars.

I should have pictures this weekend to confirm that everything works as it should.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
Sylvania used to market "Xenarc" HID drop in replacements for the entire lens, bulb, etc for the F-150 and the Expedition.

I always wished they would tap the huge Mustang market and make a Xenarc HID system for the pony car.

I think the F-150 and Expedition kit got discontinued, but it was similar to this, but Sylvania designed and fairly inexpensive for true HID optics and bulb/etc.

Ryushin

Established Member
I'm not sure how good it would be as I never saw it. It seems that a lot of Lightwerkz's business is changing out HID setups in German and other Japanese cars (mostly WRX/Evos). Even these people that have HID from the factory want to get it changed out to the optics of S2000 projectors or the TFX setup that Caesar is doing. There were some pics in a link I had in the first post that showed some WRX factory lights and that they looked very poor compared to the TFX and S2000 setup.

It just got me thinking, that building proper HID, is not easy, even manufactures that have deep pockets.

XJRGUY

BIG MONSTERS!
Established Member
I'm not sure how good it would be as I never saw it. It seems that a lot of Lightwerkz's business is changing out HID setups in German and other Japanese cars (mostly WRX/Evos). Even these people that have HID from the factory want to get it changed out to the optics of S2000 projectors or the TFX setup that Caesar is doing. There were some pics in a link I had in the first post that showed some WRX factory lights and that they looked very poor compared to the TFX and S2000 setup.

It just got me thinking, that building proper HID, is not easy, even manufactures that have deep pockets.

Here is a link to what I was talking about.

http://www.brightheadlights.com/Headlights-x2010.htm

Unfortunately I couldn't find the original link on Sylvania's site, but that was the cats ass for F-150 HID retrofits with OEM quality.

Users who are viewing this thread