High revving motors vs down low torque monsters?

High Revs vs. Low Torque

• I like to revv to the moon

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • I like to have tire shredding torque off the line

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coposrv

Established Member
May not be super relevant here but low end torque can certainly be felt in different ways. Like stacking a yard or two of heavy wet snow at the end of a snow storm. Even going 5 mph with 1k of heavy wet snow on the moldboard and the truck building boost to ramp it higher and higher. Feeling like you could tear a building down, it is pretty cool. Like I said, Torque in a different way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budman5023

Established Member
My last four Fords were either turbo or supercharged and made all the torque around 2000 and 3000 rpm which is fun as hell when you can break the tires loose in almost any gear. It does get a little frustrating when they fall on their face up top tho.
I did have an 2002 svt focus which red lined at 7100 rpm and that is fun too. I guess it depends on what your intentions and budget are. I hoping for the best of both with a fully built aluminum 4.6 maybe stroked, trickflow 195s,10:1-11:1 compression, 2.1 kenne bell 4 or 5 psi, and race gas. Looking for 450 rwhp with high compression, low boost, 7000 rpm (if possible) race engine. I suppose I like torque better. It is kinda nice to say that I have more torque than a lot of Ferraris. I do recall hearing somewhere torque wins races.

Last edited:

kaz109

Established Member
My last four Fords were either turbo or supercharged and made all the torque around 2000 and 3000 rpm which is fun as hell when you can break the tires loose in almost any gear. It does get a little frustrating when they fall on their face up top tho.
I did have an 2002 svt focus which red lined at 7100 rpm and that is fun too. I guess it depends on what your intentions and budget are. I hoping for the best of both with a fully built aluminum 4.6 maybe stroked, trickflow 195s,10:1-11:1 compression, 2.1 kenne bell 4 or 5 psi, and race gas. Looking for 450 rwhp with high compression, low boost, 7000 rpm (if possible) race engine. I suppose I like torque better. It is kinda nice to say that I have more torque than a lot of Ferraris. I do recall hearing somewhere torque wins races.

Lol@ it's nice to say u have more torque than ferrari's hahaha, how old are you? And saying you heard that torque wins races just proves the age old saying don't believe everything you hear

RSbeast

Established Member
You don't feel that the Z06 has enough torque down low? I expected it to have plenty of torque down low!

All that is just the gearing. Those TR6060 cars do over 60 in first gear. I would hate that. Even an old T56 vette feels a little long in 1st gear and thus is a little cumbersome and lazy on a super windy road. Weird doing 35-40 rolls in first.

budman5023

Established Member
Lol@ it's nice to say u have more torque than ferrari's hahaha, how old are you? And saying you heard that torque wins races just proves the age old saying don't believe everything you hear

Never said I believed it. Just said I heard it. Calm down there. What are you five? Asking how old I am. Lmao

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
You could argue that pretty soundly.

I will say however that a lot of the v8 offerings in mustangs aren't what I would consider to be "torquey." Yes the Terminator and the positive displacement GT500's will create a good deal of torque at fairly low RPMs, but even an older NA pushrod 5.0 isn't exactly a torque monster. The NA 4.6 and coyote motors are high strung.

It's all in what your opinion of torque production can and should be.

I drive around in a modified 455 Pontiac. My opinion will obviously differ.
5,800-6,000 rpm is pushing it hard on our fabulous armasteel rotating assemblies, my 350 never really saw much more of 5,500 and then it felt like it was out of breath lol

csvt98

Road Course Ringer
Established Member
I love RPM's, I love to hear my Boss at full song. Torque is awesome, to me nothing beats the sound of an NA V8 winding out on a road course!

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
For a race application I want the high revvet since that is where I'll be most of the time

For a tow vehicle in want the low end tq

For a daily I want something in between...

MG01GT

Established Member
I noticed OP mentioned bikes... I have to say having owned BMW S1000RR that was the best of both worlds.... an absolute rocket ship. I have also ridden a Panigale and those are some serious TQ monsters and require a bit of rider management to ride...... when it comes to cars..... Ill take either or... although I have to errr on the side of some higher revs

yenko boy

Established Member
High revs are awsome in a light package like the porsche gt3. But i dont like a high reving engine in a heavy car, thats my only problem with the gt350 engine is a marvel but i feel the chassis is heavier then I like.

helloWorld

Established Member
Just picked up a 2012 CTS-V. Coming from a 2013 5.0, I can definitely say that since I mostly daily drive my cars, the torque of the CTS-V makes for an exponentially better drive.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I like both:

My 1988 5.0 is lots of fun on the street, but it tops out quickly on the highway.
The wife's 2011 135i with 6spd manual is a blast on the highway, and feels like it has endless top-end.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The engines were originally designed that way. My 455 revs fine. In fact I have to have a fuel and spark cut on the damn thing because it'll blow past 6500 rpm in a heart beat. The factory rods won't take that type of rpm.

These days, an aluminum headed, forged rotating assembly with the right cam in a 455+ pontiac will make 400 ft lbs at 1700 rpm and continue making at least that much to 6000 rpm, with a peak in there somewhere near 600 ft lbs. That's a metric ton of average torque over an incredibly wide powerband.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I do sometimes miss the low end grunt of my 03 Cobra and some of my previous LS cars/combos packed quite a punch down low as well, it also made taking off from a dig a pedal fest. My current buckets are the 14 Mustang GT (full exh, bolt-ons) and 99 F-body (H/C/I,full boltons) they both move out from a dig nicely. I shift my my 99 LS1 f-boat just under 7K(6800), its a little soft down low, but not for long, 4.10 gears help that, the mid-range and top end are violent. The right head, cam and intake combo will make any LS motor easily pull past 6K, but you do trade off some low end grunt, at least on the smaller GEN III LS motors.

The newer LS motors are different story, it's insane what you can ring out of an LS3/GENIV motors and strokers...because of the extra cubes you don't end up with a real soggy low end on crazy NA builds. My buddies C6Z is terrifying, NA car, big nasty LG cam, headwork done by a local guy, it's close to 600 RWHP and revs to the moon. The power is on tap nearly from off idle all the way till you cry uncle.

Blue Blitz

Established Member
Yea I bet you do. Expect a clone in the future. I'm trying to buy mine back and it'll be getting a set of Fikse as well.

Your car is beautiful. Probably the car I regret selling the most...

William

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Thank you! I have a 2nd set of fikse FM5s, 17" for C5 fitment. You would probably have to get different inner barrels, maybe run a 5-10mm PFADT spacer. I had intended to put them on my C5Z, but sold the car before messing with them, that 2nd set was an impulse buy that has been sitting in the garage for 3 years, lol. If you think you would be able to use them, I'd sell them cheap.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread