High revving motors vs down low torque monsters?

High Revs vs. Low Torque

• I like to revv to the moon

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • I like to have tire shredding torque off the line

Votes: 43 59.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

92LX302

Established Member
I have two Fox Mustang. Both are stock block stock stroke NA HCI combo. They're both within the same weight range (no option LX hatch).

My 92 is more of a revver. Big Systemax II intake, ported RPMs heads, 75mm TB, longtubes.

My 87 got a smaller Typhoon intake, unported RPMs, 65mm TB, shorty headers.

With 3.73 in both car, the 92 feels wayyyy slower when driving around town. However, it constantly beat the 87 by at least a car lenght on the quarter mile. I do prefer the 87 to play around. It 'feels' more powerful.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I'm a big fan of motors that my a lot of torque. You kind of have to be if you're a Pontiac enthusiast, it's what those engines were designed to do.

I appreciate a rev happy motor though at the same time.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Both.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This

9B1841EF-D74F-4F23-9B95-6E50762C8661-3290-000003B77EC74F73_zpsa58ed4c0.jpg

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I would love to have both but also experiencing both in single configuration, I love the feel of an engine that just keeps pulling harder as you rev. But in the end, you have more instances to take advantage of torque (stop and go) than you do revving out an engine.

kaz109

Established Member
Considering the site we are on it think the winner of the pole is very predictable

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I had stroker motors in both my '95 and '10 Camaros and loved the low end grunt of those cars. They were very fun on the street. My Lightning made a lot of low end torque too, until I put the 88mm turbo in it. Then it was all top end. My current '15 GT is a dog down low but I spin it to 8000 and it's fun as hell. So I guess I like both.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I had stroker motors in both my '95 and '10 Camaros and loved the low end grunt of those cars. They were very fun on the street. My Lightning made a lot of low end torque too, until I put the 88mm turbo in it. Then it was all top end. My current '15 GT is a dog down low but I spin it to 8000 and it's fun as hell. So I guess I like both.

huh? You dont have that whipple DSG lightning anymore? :nonono:

earl lee

Established Member
Thing is your gt500 makes tons of TQ down low, it's just a perception thing. Since it winds so far and pulls to redline it's just even faster up top.

The 4.6 cobras were the same way. It might not feel super torquey but only because it pulks even harder up top.

Nah, the difference he is feeling is weight difference from that fat shelby to his light foxbody.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Considering the site we are on it think the winner of the pole is very predictable

You could argue that pretty soundly.

I will say however that a lot of the v8 offerings in mustangs aren't what I would consider to be "torquey." Yes the Terminator and the positive displacement GT500's will create a good deal of torque at fairly low RPMs, but even an older NA pushrod 5.0 isn't exactly a torque monster. The NA 4.6 and coyote motors are high strung.

It's all in what your opinion of torque production can and should be.

I drive around in a modified 455 Pontiac. My opinion will obviously differ.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I sold that over 6 years ago man where the hell have you been? lol.

lol this is my first time hearing that, I sold my 01' four years ago so i rarely go to the lightning forum anymore. Seems dead these days...

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Its not like a grunty low motor doesn't wind out. I can't think of any respectable car that can't rev to 6K and that is enough to have fun winding it out, especially if you are making power all the way through.

On the other hand a motor that is limp below 4K is usually no fun. I don't want to have the car pegged to have fun.

The Cobra is a nice compromise, it has a motor that loves revs but also has positive displacement. It feels a little soft down low compared to the Viper which is lighter and has nearly double the motor. Both cars rev out fine though, the Viper doesn't feel short compared to the Cobra.
Gearing matched to the car is probably the most important aspect in my opinion. I personally think most Mustangs are over geared, which is probably why they are notoriously unstable... but I'm not sure the mod motor would take well to lower gears without dogging out.

I answered revs though... not because I believe that way, but because "tire shredding torque" is useless. I want a controlled car, not an unruly burn out machine

Last edited:

Never_Enough

Established Member
Tough call. I enjoy both for what they are. If I had to pick, I'd take something with massive torque right off the bat, but not if it falls off badly up top.

I get to enjoy both worlds with the 2 cars I have now. Low end tq from a dig w/the MS6 & I get the 3K+ joys with the Z06. I definitely wish my Z06 had more low end torque, but that's just me.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
lol this is my first time hearing that, I sold my 01' four years ago so i rarely go to the lightning forum anymore. Seems dead these days...

I haven't been on the Lightning forums in forever. I built the truck up, got it to 1000hp, then sold it lol.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
Tough call. I enjoy both for what they are. If I had to pick, I'd take something with massive torque right off the bat, but not if it falls off badly up top.

I get to enjoy both worlds with the 2 cars I have now. Low end tq from a dig w/the MS6 & I get the 3K+ joys with the Z06. I definitely wish my Z06 had more low end torque, but that's just me.

You don't feel that the Z06 has enough torque down low? I expected it to have plenty of torque down low!

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
I like torquey motors on the street, they're more usable when getting around traffic and you can have fun with them without getting into too much trouble. My Coyote feels and sounds awesome when I have the chance to wind it out to 7000+ RPM but those opportunities are few and far between. I've found that LS motors and Mercedes-Benz V8s have a pretty good balance of both which makes them satisfying to drive on the street as well as high performance environments.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, NA would definitely be my personal choice. And if I had to choose between high revving or low-end torque, I'd choose the latter. What I wouldn't want is a high revving motor with little low-end torque under 2500-3000 rpms. Takes a lot of the fun out of around town driving. JMO.

Users who are viewing this thread