Holy hell mac book's are expensive

Ironhand

Banned
My four year old Macbook Pro is still much faster than my parents' one year old desktop pc, despite the fact that their computer has basically nothing stored on it and I am running some pretty hefty programs like Adobe CS5 and Alias Automotive.

There are Windows-based laptops out there that cost just as much FYI (Alienware comes to mind). I don't get into the whole "mac or windows sucks and the other one completely rules" arguments because it comes down to your application and preferences to decide which OS is better for you, but from personal experience unless you are a programmer or have business needs I think the mac is a vastly better system, especially out of the box. I will say that mac needs to upgrade their video cards and RAM in some of their most basic packages, though.

However, to all the guys on here that say "Mac sucks," ....it's a little amusing, since there's a very good chance that whatever car you are driving was created and developed by that company's design studio team partially on a mac.

So my 03 Cobra was designed on a Mac? I thought it was designed in clay by hand....?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
My four year old Macbook Pro is still much faster than my parents' one year old desktop pc, despite the fact that their computer has basically nothing stored on it and I am running some pretty hefty programs like Adobe CS5 and Alias Automotive.

There are Windows-based laptops out there that cost just as much FYI (Alienware comes to mind). I don't get into the whole "mac or windows sucks and the other one completely rules" arguments because it comes down to your application and preferences to decide which OS is better for you, but from personal experience unless you are a programmer or have business needs I think the mac is a vastly better system, especially out of the box. I will say that mac needs to upgrade their video cards and RAM in some of their most basic packages, though.

However, to all the guys on here that say "Mac sucks," ....it's a little amusing, since there's a very good chance that whatever car you are driving was created and developed by that company's design studio team partially on a mac.

Comparing an Alienware to a Mac is laughable. Go ahead and pull of the specs of both machines at a comparable price and see the difference beside the LED glowing emblems.

Aside from that, Alienwares are a joke and for people who like to waste money as well. There are plenty of PC laptops under $1500 that can perform at top quality.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Who would pay that?

macfag-macfags-apple-ipod-imac-macbook-iphone-steve-jobs-macuser-ipad-macintosh-mac-user.jpg

silvernewedge

Established Member
So my 03 Cobra was designed on a Mac? I thought it was designed in clay by hand....?

You do realize that car designers go through countless 2d iterations of a product through sketches, Photoshop renderings, side-view packages schematics, etc. before they begin modeling it in 3d, correct? By the time full-size clay models are produced, all the dimensions have already been determined or at least have been developed to a close-to-production state. The clay models aren't even vital to the design process in a lot of cases anymore, they are just traditionally done because before CAD software they served as an original mold from which the sheet metal tooling was all based on.

silvernewedge

Established Member
Comparing an Alienware to a Mac is laughable. Go ahead and pull of the specs of both machines at a comparable price and see the difference beside the LED glowing emblems.

Aside from that, Alienwares are a joke and for people who like to waste money as well. There are plenty of PC laptops under $1500 that can perform at top quality.

I was never comparing them, just mentioning them...

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
3000 dollars is one expensive facebook machine!

Now he has to dress like a hippie and go to starbucks everyday with no lens glasses because lenses are too mainstream.

Planter

Banned
Are macs more expensive? I think that everyone knows the answer is yes. But it is personal preference Mac and Windows.

I have a macbook pro, and wouldn't have gone any other way. I got mine for $899 brand new 1.5 years ago.

And you can't hate on Apple for charging so much for their products. People will still buy no matter what the price is.

I use PC at work, but bring my Mac in to use as well and have converted half the office to Mac already.

comparing a pc to a mac is like comparing a point and shoot digital camera to a DSLR with an awesome lens. :lol1:

nope, first it was sketched, then it was done on the computer, then the rest of the process.

You do realize that car designers go through countless 2d iterations of a product through sketches, Photoshop renderings, side-view packages schematics, etc. before they begin modeling it in 3d, correct? By the time full-size clay models are produced, all the dimensions have already been determined or at least have been developed to a close-to-production state. The clay models aren't even vital to the design process in a lot of cases anymore, they are just traditionally done because before CAD software they served as an original mold from which the sheet metal tooling was all based on.

:beer: nicely done!

crew_dawg16

Established Member
My friend just got a full loaded 17 inch mac book pro. Price... $3050!!!!!

Seriously this is how much you guys pay for computers?... thats 250% more expensive then a PC I just configured with the exact same spics...

Who would pay that?

Retards.

There is no other reason to buy a Mac except that you are retarded and scared of having an OS with some end user freedom.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
comparing a pc to a mac is like comparing a point and shoot digital camera to a DSLR with an awesome lens. :lol1:

Yeah, except the DSLR is the pc since it has way more functionality and ability to be modified, changed and added onto. Your Mac is the kiddie one big button point n shoot. It will never be anything more than it was the day you overpaid for it.

Ironhand

Banned

Ah.. Trolling is fun sometimes..

I use 3D modelling all the time. Some of my 3D models and texturing have ended up in popular video games. I also design parts so they can be made with a CNC machine. I taught myself 2 different 3D modeling programs and now my tolerances are down to +/- .0002.

Now, I do all this on a PC. I dont think the MAC could keep up based on recommended specs.

Last edited:

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I've had both....

I'll put my fully built PC up against a Mac ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. Sure Mac's are nice, but they're can be incredibly overpriced for what you're getting. PC's get a bad wrap b/c they've been more available for longer.

Ignorant Users = complaining that their PC sucks

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
funny thing is that based on the way they look, the majority of occupy Wall street crowd/99% crew are prob. MAC users lol

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Wow Mac users truly are dulusional Sheep, wow. So basically your hardware under performs notebooks thousands of dollars less but your os provides more stability in your opinion? So basically your saying you don't mind paying a few extra thousand dollars for the Mac OS? You do realize there are similar OS like Macs for free right?

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
Wow Mac users truly are dulusional Sheep, wow. So basically your hardware under performs notebooks thousands of dollars less but your os provides more stability in your opinion? So basically your saying you don't mind paying a few extra thousand dollars for the Mac OS? You do realize there are similar OS like Macs for free right?

WHAT! NO! Bite your tongue :nono:

Mac OS is the end all lol

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
So is PC like Android, because you can mod it? I still take the iPhone though lol.

Yes, perfect analogy.

I too prefer the iPhone because I do enjoy its ease of use and dont want to **** with it, though my next phone will likely be Android based, unless Win8 metra whatever runs everything a standard windows machine can. Id love having full windows functionality over either Android/iOS.

silvernewedge

Established Member
Ah.. Trolling is fun sometimes..

I use 3D modelling all the time. Some of my 3D models and texturing have ended up in popular video games. I also design parts so they can be made with a CNC machine. I taught myself 2 different 3D modeling programs and now my tolerances are down to +/- .0002.

Now, I do all this on a PC. I dont think the MAC could keep up based on recommended specs.

Typical that you think I'm trolling because I have a low post count and whatnot, but I'm simply stating that Mac's are indeed used in professional applications, much more than most people on this site realize.

My school (University of Cincinnati's DAAP, currently #1 in the nation for industrial design along with Art Center College of Design for '11....go ahead, look it up) uses almost exclusively Mac computers, a lot of which have Alias Automotive, Solidworks (albeit only through a dual boot Windows system, but it is still on a Mac machine), and various other programs for the prototyping workflow such as DelCam Powermill and Zprint....so yes, they can and do work with 3d modeling stuff as well. Other types of design such as graphic? Forget about it, they are essentially all macintosh users.

Am I saying you shouldn't use your PC? No, and a lot of the hardcore 3D guys I know are mainly PC people. Hell, a lot of 3d modeling programs weren't even available for Macs until they started gaining market share a few years ago. Windows has done very well with it's more open OS, and I can see and understand why people who are accustomed to and enjoy that would not like or understand the macintosh system. But don't accuse me of being a troll when you yourself don't have the whole story.

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
Yes, perfect analogy.

I too prefer the iPhone because I do enjoy its ease of use and dont want to **** with it, though my next phone will likely be Android based, unless Win8 metra whatever runs everything a standard windows machine can. Id love having full windows functionality over either Android/iOS.

Main reason why I like the iPhone. My upgrade is in March, still want to get a 4S.

silverstang23

Established Member
I paid more for my 15" and would do it again. This is my second Mac book pro. I know all you Mac haters say your windows computers can do it for half the cost but I use my computer for stuff a windows machine can't do. Im a pro photographer and find a lot of "creative" software doesn't run well on windows and in a few cases isnt even made for windows.

Some people utilize there macs and that warrants the high price but not everyone does. I wouldn't pay that much for my school work and don't pay that much for the computers my employees use

Users who are viewing this thread