Holy hell mac book's are expensive

Planter

Banned
Yeah, except the DSLR is the pc since it has way more functionality and ability to be modified, changed and added onto. Your Mac is the kiddie one big button point n shoot. It will never be anything more than it was the day you overpaid for it.

you couldn't have that more backwards.

but for the sake of good debate, let's debunk your theories.

Apple's Seed | Apple News, Tips, Tricks and Reviews

Mac vs. PC – Who’s Really Winning? (Infographic) | iTOK.NET

18 Features Windows Should Have (but Doesn't) - Page 2 | PCWorld

What does MAC OS come with that Windows doesn't?

• Time Machine (Backup Software). Windows offers no backup software with Windows
  • Garage Band (professional grade music mixing software, instrument tuning software, i.e. you can tune your guitar...have yet to see a PC that can do that).
  • Screen Sharing
  • Built in ISO Burning that comes with OS (Windows doesn't offer that, you have to go download a standalone version)
  • MAC has a built in microphone for recording audio, or a voice message. I don't know too many pc's that have built in mic's.
  • MAC's quicktime software, comes with a screen record option, I can record whatever I'm doing on the desktop of my MAC and save it as a movie file to put in a tutorial, or to demonstrate how to do something. I can also capture live video conferences and record the video and audio. Not one PC out there have I seen do that without adding additional software. MAC comes with Quicktime. Windows does not.
  • Mac comes pre-installed with iWeb, a program that lets you create your own web sites. Microsoft includes no such software with windows. While iWeb is not something I use, it's great to teach kids and adults who have no web design knowledge the basics to web site design.
  • Automated Screen Shot - I don't have to open up a program and paste it to a new file window like I do on PC. I can take a screenshot, it saves the image to my desktop for me.
  • MAC comes pre-installed with a webserver. Windows does not.
  • I don't have to go download a program to view a PDF on a MAC. Windows doesn't offer any program that reads pdf's, you have to go download a standalone viewer from Adobe.
  • Microsoft Xbox/Xbox360 won't connect to a router that is using WPA/WPA2 Security.
  • Boot time for a MAC is much better than Boot time for a PC.
  • MAC has all the drivers for your sound card, video card, network software, and everything else....on ONE DISC. PC's, and this if you're lucky to get a ReInsall Disc, usually send you 1 Disc for the operating system, and then like 5 discs with drivers and bloatware. Don't get any bloatware on the MAC OS Disc. But most PC makers now are too cheap to send an operating system disc, instead they make the pc owner make a recovery disc....most computer users cant even burn a disc on their own! :lol:

Other benefits of MAC over PC.

• No .dll files
  • No Registry
  • Better User Interface
  • Moving files can be done even when they are open.
  • More logical structure to system hierarchy.
  • Zero disk fragmentation. MAC's don't need to be defragged.
  • Affordable Developer tools(Only $4.99 from Mac App Store)
  • No Device Manager
  • Macs tell you "not enough space on disk" BEFORE you start copying.
  • Tight integration between software and hardware.
  • MAC's don't slow down when you add new software and store lot's of files due to it's advanced hierarchy which manages files better than Windows. Install a bunch of stuff on a PC with a lot of files, your PC will slow down, and eventually you'll need to dump the OS, and reload it.
  • rarely do MAC's get viruses, trojans, spyware, malware, or adware. PC's get them all the time. I don't need to run a firewall or anti-virus on my MAC. good luck not running them on your PC!
  • MAC doesn't come with those annoying Winblows theme sounds that play the obnoxious little sound everytime an error box pops up or a warning box.
  • MAC won't ask you 9,566,754 times if you REALLY want to copy a file here, or move a file there. it'll only ask you once. ;-)

MAC Sales growing faster than PC over the course of the past 5 years.
Apple computer sales grow faster than PC sales for five years - but why? | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Macs Don’t Make You Creative! So Why Do Artists Really Love Apple? - How-To Geek

86 Mac Plus Vs. 07 AMD DualCore. You Won't Believe Who Wins

just for fun ;-)
Mac People vs. PC People - Infographic | Geekosystem

Apple, will buy your old Macbooks, and mac computers back and give you credit towards the purchase of a new computer. They'll also buy your old iphones, ipad's, ipod's, nano's, itouch's.
Apple offers gift cards for old iPhones, iPads, and computers (even PCs)

no one else offers to buy your pc's back and give you credit for them, because they're obsolete pieces of hardened silicone lol.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I've only read the first paragraph and could tell you had no idea wtf you're talking about Planter. Windows has had back up for as long as I can remember, its called nt backup and it's in your system utilities folder in the start menu. Windows 7 has backup abilities as well. I back up all of my machines before using bitlocker on them.

Windows 7 also can burn ISO files out of the box. Not sure if you ever even tried or just trying to make your argument seem valid. I'm not even going to bother reading the rest because it's probably completely irrelevant to the argument at this point.... Who needs garage band? Oh ya hipsters... I don't recall my boss calling me up demanding I must create An office melody of farts and the sounds of pulling out my bloody tampon in an audio track using a built in application.

Encase you haven't noticed apple has to have its own software store because nobody writes the software for it off the shelf purchase minus a few applications.

Last edited:

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
All I can say is, please show me some of the top corps minus apple lol using apple products on their network. The only time I've seen people use macs are usually people from the outside like some sort of marketing people and when they complain about not being a me to connect to the network we'd laugh.

You can't even hook a Mac up to a Cisco router with out it sending all kinds of errors.

Why do you think most corps use windows based hardware and software. Because its the best bang for your buck for performance and cost.

Last edited:

aaandht

Established Member
Typical that you think I'm trolling because I have a low post count and whatnot, but I'm simply stating that Mac's are indeed used in professional applications, much more than most people on this site realize.

My school (University of Cincinnati's DAAP, currently #1 in the nation for industrial design along with Art Center College of Design for '11....go ahead, look it up) uses almost exclusively Mac computers, a lot of which have Alias Automotive, Solidworks (albeit only through a dual boot Windows system, but it is still on a Mac machine), and various other programs for the prototyping workflow such as DelCam Powermill and Zprint....so yes, they can and do work with 3d modeling stuff as well. Other types of design such as graphic? Forget about it, they are essentially all macintosh users.

Am I saying you shouldn't use your PC? No, and a lot of the hardcore 3D guys I know are mainly PC people. Hell, a lot of 3d modeling programs weren't even available for Macs until they started gaining market share a few years ago. Windows has done very well with it's more open OS, and I can see and understand why people who are accustomed to and enjoy that would not like or understand the macintosh system. But don't accuse me of being a troll when you yourself don't have the whole story.

And yet all the REAL work(engineering design) is done on Windows. You even said it yourself, you cannot run Solidworks on Mac. Most engineering is done using SW, Pro/E, or CATIA along with ANSYS. As far as I know, none of those programs run on Mac. Even if it did, my Quad core system eats through simulation tests on parts, doubt a Mac would.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
And yet all the REAL work(engineering design) is done on Windows. You even said it yourself, you cannot run Solidworks on Mac. Most engineering is done using SW, Pro/E, or CATIA along with ANSYS. As far as I know, none of those programs run on Mac. Even if it did, my Quad core system eats through simulation tests on parts, doubt a Mac would.

But damn if he couldn't play a sweet simulation on garage band while trying to get it to run. Bet you can't do that!

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
All you have to do with a PC is open up one bad file and its all over from there. I am not debating PC vs Mac, I am debating linux vs windows. Linux schools windows all day long in resource consumption and security. Optioning out a PC vs a Macbook and then saying "you get the same computer for a lot less" is like saying you priced out a kia rio with power windows and locks and then priced out an audi a4 with the same options. You get the same options but just one shitty car. Apple's integration of hardware and OS is bar none.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
All you have to do with a PC is open up one bad file and its all over from there. I am not debating PC vs Mac, I am debating linux vs windows. Linux schools windows all day long in resource consumption and security. Optioning out a PC vs a Macbook and then saying "you get the same computer for a lot less" is like saying you priced out a kia rio with power windows and locks and then priced out an audi a4 with the same options. You get the same options but just one shitty car. Apple's integration of hardware and OS is bar none.

You think Mac isnt vulnerable? I recall quite a few outbreaks this year for the Mac OS. Let apple gain more of the OS market and see what happens. Last time I checked they were only about 10%+ of the market. Not really worth the effort. See how "secure" it becomes in the upcoming years. It's not because it's harder it's because they don't care.

crew_dawg16

Established Member

1. Antivirus.
2. Common sense.
3. Proper privileges provided by MS.
4. ?????
5. Profit.

Sent from my phone (no "i" needed).

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
antivirus programs have been proven to easily be broken. All they do is protect you from known threats, not new ones. Either way, the design of linux in its entirety is a much better system for protecting the user. I use a dual boot laptop. It's hard to beat the performance of a linux kernel based machine over a windows. You need twice the hardware to perform on a windows machine.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
antivirus programs have been proven to easily be broken. All they do is protect you from known threats, not new ones. Either way, the design of linux in its entirety is a much better system for protecting the user. I use a dual boot laptop. It's hard to beat the performance of a linux kernel based machine over a windows. You need twice the hardware to perform on a windows machine.

No doubt but you also have to end up running everything in a windows virtualized application so what's the point? Linux is great for basic pc use at most.

Ironhand

Banned
Typical that you think I'm trolling because I have a low post count and whatnot, but I'm simply stating that Mac's are indeed used in professional applications, much more than most people on this site realize.

My school (University of Cincinnati's DAAP, currently #1 in the nation for industrial design along with Art Center College of Design for '11....go ahead, look it up) uses almost exclusively Mac computers, a lot of which have Alias Automotive, Solidworks (albeit only through a dual boot Windows system, but it is still on a Mac machine), and various other programs for the prototyping workflow such as DelCam Powermill and Zprint....so yes, they can and do work with 3d modeling stuff as well. Other types of design such as graphic? Forget about it, they are essentially all macintosh users.

Am I saying you shouldn't use your PC? No, and a lot of the hardcore 3D guys I know are mainly PC people. Hell, a lot of 3d modeling programs weren't even available for Macs until they started gaining market share a few years ago. Windows has done very well with it's more open OS, and I can see and understand why people who are accustomed to and enjoy that would not like or understand the macintosh system. But don't accuse me of being a troll when you yourself don't have the whole story.

Just like a typical MAC user you make it all about you.

The trolling comment was about me saying something to get a response. So I won twice.

And you said it yourself. I use Solidworks Professional and 3Ds Max 5.1. I can build a better PC and it be cheaper then using a MAC without running into problems.

ViciousJay

Established Member
  • No .dll files
  • No Registry
  • Better User Interface
  • Moving files can be done even when they are open.
  • More logical structure to system hierarchy.
  • Zero disk fragmentation. MAC's don't need to be defragged.
  • Affordable Developer tools(Only $4.99 from Mac App Store)
  • No Device Manager
  • Macs tell you "not enough space on disk" BEFORE you start copying.
  • Tight integration between software and hardware.
  • MAC's don't slow down when you add new software and store lot's of files due to it's advanced hierarchy which manages files better than Windows. Install a bunch of stuff on a PC with a lot of files, your PC will slow down, and eventually you'll need to dump the OS, and reload it.
  • rarely do MAC's get viruses, trojans, spyware, malware, or adware. PC's get them all the time. I don't need to run a firewall or anti-virus on my MAC. good luck not running them on your PC!
  • MAC doesn't come with those annoying Winblows theme sounds that play the obnoxious little sound everytime an error box pops up or a warning box.
  • MAC won't ask you 9,566,754 times if you REALLY want to copy a file here, or move a file there. it'll only ask you once. ;-)

overload of stupidity.... :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread