Hood Vent Modification?

MountainDew

Do the Dew!
Established Member
ZXMustang said:
Sorry my friend, you are incorrect. The hood blanket is a FIRE blanket. If there is an engine fire, the plastic push in pins that hold it to the underside of the hood will melt and drop the blanket on the fire causing it to snuff the fire out. I used to sell ford vehicles at my local dealership, and thats straight from the training/product information videos that sales people have to learn to sell the vehicles. Those are the facts. Yank the blanket off, and never look back.

No joke? Good idea with the blanket.

GA Terminator

Established Member
Before i got the billet flow vents, I did a simple mod with mine. I removed the blanket, put the pins back in to cover the holes, unsnapped the botton of the vents and rolled them back and attached them to the hood with some heavy duty velcro. After that I got the underside of the hood painted and clear coated and went with the billett flow vents.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
GA Terminator said:
Before i got the billet flow vents, I did a simple mod with mine. I removed the blanket, put the pins back in to cover the holes, unsnapped the botton of the vents and rolled them back and attached them to the hood with some heavy duty velcro. After that I got the underside of the hood painted and clear coated and went with the billett flow vents.

How long have you had the blanket off??? No problems with the heat and or damage to the hood paint???

Also, do you have a picture of the billet flow vents on your car???

I can't find the BFV anywhere...do they still sell them???

Thanks in advance...

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Bump...

Any long term effects when removing the underhood blanket/insulation???

Anybody???

Later...Dave

GA Terminator

Established Member
SCT2003 said:
Bump...

Any long term effects when removing the underhood blanket/insulation???

Anybody???

Later...Dave

zero on any effects when I removed the blanket and had it painted. i keep losts of wax on it. not sure if billett flow still has any vents left. give doug a call and see.

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
GA Terminator said:
zero on any effects when I removed the blanket and had it painted. i keep losts of wax on it. not sure if billett flow still has any vents left. give doug a call and see.

Looks like I'm painted under there...I'll probably take off the blanket for a nice and clean look!!!

Later...Dave

03WetSnake

All Or Nothing!!!
Established Member
Okay I'm going to take off my blanket, and was wondering is that the only thing I take off? The flaps do stay on correct?
Thanks Guys!!

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
03WetSnake said:
Okay I'm going to take off my blanket, and was wondering is that the only thing I take off? The flaps do stay on correct?
Thanks Guys!!

Actually...some people cut the flaps off and some just open them up and fold them back. If I'm not mistaken...one guy on this thread actually used velcro strips to keep the flaps open. I just used a box cutter to cut the small tabs/hinges so the flaps could be removed completely. I live in SOCAL, never snows and I hardly ever see rain...no need for the flaps here!!!

Later...Dave

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
Boy does this mod work...went for a long ride yesterday...stopped the car and felt the vents...the heat just pours out of the hood now!!!

Later...Dave

Last edited:

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
What do you guys do about the ground located at the rear of the hood when you remove the insulation???

I'm probably going to take off the insulation/blanket today and was wondering want to do with that ground???

Later...Dave

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
the ground is supposed to prevent static from the engine on AM radio only. doesn't seem to make any difference at all. just take it off when you remove the blanket

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
swlacobra said:
the ground is supposed to prevent static from the engine on AM radio only. doesn't seem to make any difference at all. just take it off when you remove the blanket

Thanks for the tip...

Later...Dave

sicfast

Established Member
this is gonna sound kinda funny but my hood looks semi-painted underneath, like somebody changed their mind LMFAO...blanket stayed

SCT2003

2012 3.7 & 1986 NOTCH
Established Member
fstsnk1 said:
this is gonna sound kinda funny but my hood looks semi-painted underneath, like somebody changed their mind LMFAO...blanket stayed

Someone at Ford must have dropped the ball huh??? Strange...I've heard of ones painted or unpainted but never one half painted!!! LOL

Later...Dave

blue4d

Established Member
Blanket serves 3 purposes. Fire supression, sound deadening, and protects the paint on your hood from engine heat. toss it. by the time the hood needs to be repainted from engine heat it would be 10 years old

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I recently tossed mine, using velcro for the vents soon, needs to be painted underneath but oh well, and my SC screams louder now.

So if the car is parked on the street when ther rain comes through I shouldn't be doing this hood vent mod I take it? I definitely won't be garaging my car. Please advise on this.

Users who are viewing this thread