How long have you been at your current job?

I've been with my job for?

• less than a year

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • 1-2 years

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • 3-5 years

Votes: 48 21.9%
  • 6-10 years

Votes: 54 24.7%
  • 11-15 years

Votes: 42 19.2%
  • 16-20 years

Votes: 20 9.1%
  • 21-25 years

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 26-30 years

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 30+ years

Votes: 6 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Branhammer

Established Member
I count my time in active duty and in the ANG all as one employer: the DOD. I've been in for 6 years, so I'm counting it as 6 years even though I've gone from AD to ANG and from aircraft maintenance to analysis. I've got about 25-30 more years to go...

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
June coming up will be 8 years for me. There's a handful of guys in my shop that have 30+ years of straight time. 97% of the people who hire on with my company retire from here.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I've been at mine about 6 1/2 years, bascially since graduating college. Recently, I've started tinkering with the idea of going to a bigger company with better pay, benefit is, and perks but for some reason I can't commit to leaving. Partly, I'm comfortable here and know the product inside and out, and I know leaving would be a huge blow to the company.

Sure, I need to do whats best for myself, but im just not sure I'm ready. If I'd work for a big fortune 500 company, I'd put my two weeks notice in like no big deal, but here is such a small company that I can't walk away without feeling a bit like I left them hanging. That and I'm still hanging on to a hope that I'll take a more executive role in the small company I work for. Its female owned, but my boss has made it very clear to me that as it is, he's not certain his biz would be successful in his sons hands and his son isnt even able to secure a personal cash flow loan if he wanted to give it to him...then he said, "I want you to know that you are a very important part of this company. You are the cog in the engineering department that keeps us spinning". Haven't gotten a raise in 3 years, but things like that let me know that its probably not because I'm not appreciated.

Eh...I guess I just started thinking aloud there. I will say, there's definitely a problem in this nation with turnover rates. Everyone is always looking for the bigger and better, which is fine to a degree, but rarely do people wait it out for the bigger and better opportunities where theyre at. Its expensive to train people and its nice to have employees who know the products in ways only experience provides.

Felix C

Established Member
I am a bit over 5.5 years and that is the longest I have ever worked at one company. Hope to move on next year. Current one is a great job and with mucho perks with good pay but need something more challenging. I mean I am on the Internet BSing with you folks. Something I would never do at a real job where I am constantly busy.

mjs1012

Established Member
3 months and I am completely miserable. My previous job was 5 minutes away and I loved everything about it except for the pay so I left because of that. Now I'm at a place where I make more but hate everything about it.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I have 10 years of service but I left for a while and came back.
Thought the grass was greener on the other side.

Note to self, if grass appears to be greener on other side it is most likely (not always) because it is well fertilized with bullshit.

tgasTT

Established Member
My 25th year is next week on 12/04/2014, it's my first full-time job since graduating College. I've seen alot of my co-workers come and go, (I.T Tech for a Company that's older than IBM)...

Regulars520

Established Member
15 Years Military then retired, 2 years and counting auto repair shop owner and 5 years with my current Company and will only leave if recruited for much much higher pay and benefits. It is too good here to go anywhere else.....

B-O-B'03

Established Member
It will be 15 years in March, including the two with the start up they acquired to get me.
11 years each in 2 previous jobs, I am breaking the mold with this one :-D

After this Friday, I have 171, bi-weekly, paydays before I can retire (@67), but who is counting ;-)

-Brian

Users who are viewing this thread