how long to break in the Spec 3+?

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
I had this installed around xmas but the car comes out of the garage about once a week for a round trip total of 20 miles at a time. (ive put 1k miles on it since xmas; majority as hwy, probably 3-400 miles in stop & go traffic) The feel has gotten better but overall, the driveability of the car just isnt as smooth in cruising as it used to be on the stock clutch. So different in fact that i have considered removing the Spec and the 26 spline shaft and returning to stock... :nonono:

I am concerned about doing that for obvious reasons but the car is basically 99.99999% street driven and actually only been to the track once. I am not hard on it so i doubt i would break the 10 spline input shaft but im kinda thinking, "why go backwards?"

Any ideas of getting a stock clutch feel with the 26 spline input shaft? I have considered some of these but wonder about your opinions:

1. Stock clutch from corvette? (Not sure if they will fit, but figured it was a valid question since they have the T56 and a 26 spline input shaft)
2. Stock clutch from GT500? Will that one fit? What spline did they come with?
3. Returning to stock form? (10 spline with stock clutch)
4. Installing a lower hp rated clutch that is much more streetable? (any suggestions?)
5. Keep driving the damn thing in this form and see if it gets any better.

Any ideas guys? The adjustment of this setup just never seems to be right no matter how much i have played with it.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
for me, on a S197, it too about 250 miles to feel better, by 400 miles it was very easy and by 450 I had it on the strip. It's stiffer then stock and much more grabby. However it's preformed flawlessly in the car.

MVD

Established Member
So you buy an aggressive clutch then complain that it is aggressive, what did you expect :nonono:

Last edited:

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
So you buy an aggressive clutch then complain that it is aggressive, what did you expect :nonono:

I call it a learning experience. This is the fastest car i have ever owned and when i did the whipple i tried to address all the weak points before i broke the car. Hadnt driven an aggressive clutch before. Now i know is not as much as fun for me as a real streetable clutch.

But thanks for the help :poke:

97cobra1

Established Member
I call it a learning experience. This is the fastest car i have ever owned and when i did the whipple i tried to address all the weak points before i broke the car. Hadnt driven an aggressive clutch before. Now i know is not as much as fun for me as a real streetable clutch.

I've had two specs in my car... Different break in experiences in both cars.

Spec stage 1 was the first clutch in the car, chattered like hell, bucked the car and all around made it an unenjoyable car to drive for about 1400 miles. Slowly it cleared up, and was smooth as butter afterwards.

Broke the motor, and threw in an aluminator, spec 2+ and spec alum flywheel.

First time hopping int he car it was as smooth as butter, with only a slight noticable chatter in low speed downshifts.

The spec 1 problems i think was caused by poor installation.

nolyaw

Been there owned that
Established Member
In all honesty, you probably should have went with a 2+. You did not need the 3+, and 2+ is literally as close to stock feel as you can get.

Aggressive clutches suck to drive, but clamp like a mother. 2+ is what you need, and keep the 26 spline.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does sound like you have more clutch than you need based on how you drive the car. But see if you get more used to it since it is very different from stock.

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i am going to spend some more time with the setup i have; been playing with the FWA and i finally found a spot that seems to be a good release point for the clutch pedal. Hopefully it grows on me for a good setpoint because the day i changed it, i actually enjoyed driving the car and i cant tell you how nice it was to not be frustrated with the clutch situation and just drive the damn thing!

Either way i am curious though... will a GT500 stock clutch fit in our cars? Anyone done it

yellow_04

Established Member
gt500 come stock with a twin disk clutch...not sure if a stock gt500 clutch will fit our cars but companies do make a twin disk setup for them.....they are supposed to engage smother than a stock clutch and will hold pretty much whetever you throw at them they are just pretty expensive

Stalker27

Established Member

Ehh you have weak legs just admit it. Lol j/k I have a Spec 3+ and yes in the begininng I was stiff, chattered, and grabby. I put 600miles of normal driving, normal shifting around town. I actually was trying to catch all the stop lights since hwy cruzin will not break in a clutch. After the 600 miles it felt better and feels really good now. I have 3k on it now still with Spec's tob to boot. Just man up and push the clutch in, this isn't a damn Honda civic

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
u might need a new Ford Throw Out Bearing, i hear the specs suck... theres a thread on here that states that, try replacing it with a Ford Racing Heavy Duty Throw Out Bearing there like 55 bucks it should stop the bucking!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
When I went from stock to the 3+ wow there was a world of difference, I didnt like it to much at first, but slowly and surely she got better. I love the feel of a stiff clutch, but thats just me. Mines still pretty heavy but its ok! I got used to it!

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member

I agree...too much clutch for that car, but with a KB on mine, the Spec 3+ is better than ever after 3000 miles, 0-1500 sucked....

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
A Spec 3+ is not too much clutch for a twin screw car. Just about right IMO. I've had a Spec 3+ in my Cobra for 3 years and it's streetability is as good if not better than stock. However, I run a steel flywheel which can be a help with street manners. The 26 spline input shaft is not a factor here.

As far as breakin, most folks need 800 to 1,000 miles of good, variable driving, before streetability is maximized.

No need to change it out. Just be patient.

Last edited:

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I apologize...thought your car was stock...
Give it some more time IMHO

monX

Established Member
I had this installed around xmas but the car comes out of the garage about once a week for a round trip total of 20 miles at a time. (ive put 1k miles on it since xmas; majority as hwy, probably 3-400 miles in stop & go traffic) The feel has gotten better but overall, the driveability of the car just isnt as smooth in cruising as it used to be on the stock clutch. So different in fact that i have considered removing the Spec and the 26 spline shaft and returning to stock... :nonono:

Hey man, I was in the same exact situation as you in the Spring, my stock clutch was soft as butter and everything was so nice till I decided to 'eliminate all weak spots', went with a spec 3+ 26 spline etc and HATED it, stiff pedal, massive chatter etc and I honestly was thinking of going back stock, everyone kept telling me to give it time...

Well I've put 2k on it, chatter is gone, its smoother, but pedal is not as soft as stock but my leg had gotten used to it. Whatever you do, don't install the LDC freeplay kit, it will make your pedal even stiffer, people say the mcleod twin disk is as soft as a civic however I can't confirm this, I have yet to know someone with a mcleod.

Nowa days I've gotten used to it and I like the comfort of knowing I'm not burning up the clutch or anything, oh and speaking of the spec TOB, IT'S ****ING JUNK!! It crapped on me 2 weeks ago! So basically after 5 months of having it installed, tranny had to come back down! :nonono:

Good luck man keep us posted.

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
When I went from stock to the 3+ wow there was a world of difference, I didnt like it to much at first, but slowly and surely she got better. I love the feel of a stiff clutch, but thats just me. Mines still pretty heavy but its ok! I got used to it!

Same here. It took me about 500 miles until everything feels normal. You'll get used to it and it's not that bad. Also, get rid of that Spec TOB, mine took a dump on me after only about a month:bash:.

Users who are viewing this thread