how many quarts of oil

shelbycobra

Established Member
im buying a 2010 gt 500,how many quarts of motor oil does it take and whats a good kind to run in it,and does the car have a oil life indicator on them when to change the oil

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
6.5 quarts of amsoil

Not sure about any indicator but I wouldn't listen to it anyway

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
im buying a 2010 gt 500,how many quarts of motor oil does it take and whats a good kind to run in it,and does the car have a oil life indicator on them when to change the oil

I have a complete application guide for this car. However, you will want to read a some threads to understanding why.

GT500 UOA thread

and the first post of this thread.

Shelby Oil

Factory Fill is 6.5 quarts (stock oil pan) and 8 quarts with an aftermarket oil pan.

Amsoil 10W-40 – Use this if you have the stock 192* thermostat, or you road race your car for extended sessions.

Amsoil 10W-30 – Use this if you have the reisch 170* thermostat, and you do NOT road race your car. Street brawls and drag racing is OK with this lubricant.

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter - 98.7% efficiency @ 20 microns, yet still flow better than a Motorcraft FL-820 (only 93.7% efficiency @ 20 microns).

Make your T6060 transmission shift like butter.

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - 3.6 quart fill (buy a gallon and use the left over fluid in your power steering pump)

Bottle Hand Pump - fits quarts and gallons (makes refilling the transmission and rear differential very easy)

For your rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - 2.1 quart fill (I've found that 2 quarts + 4 ounces of friction modifier to be more than sufficient)

Friction modifier is required in the factory differential. Use all 4 ounces

Amsoil Slip Lock - 1 bottle required

Maybe in the future you would be interested to know how well your engine is performing internally. It's also a good community contribution to the UOA chart I have been putting together. All help is appreciated.

UOA testing kit

and never pay retail price for it.

Preferred Customer

Last edited:

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
I have a complete application guide for this car. However, you will want to read a some threads to understanding why.

GT500 UOA thread

Shelby Oil

Factory Fill is 6.5 quarts (stock oil pan) and 8 quarts with an aftermarket oil pan.

Amsoil 10W-40 – Use this if you have the stock 192* thermostat, or you road race your car for extended sessions.

Amsoil 10W-30 – Use this if you have the reisch 170* thermostat, and you do NOT road race your car. Street brawls and drag racing is OK with this lubricant.

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter - 98.7% efficiency @ 20 microns, yet still flow better than a Motorcraft FL-820 (only 93.7% efficiency @ 20 microns).

Amsoil Synthetic ATF - 3.6 quart fill (buy a gallon and use the left over fluid in your power steering pump)

Bottle Hand Pump - fits quarts and gallons (makes refilling the transmission and rear differential very easy)

Amsoil 75W-140 - 2.1 quart fill (I've found that 2 quarts + 4 ounces of friction modifier to be more than sufficient)

Maybe in the future you would be interested to know how well your engine is performing internally. It's also a good community contribution to the UOA chart I have been putting together. All help is appreciated.

UOA testing kit

Preferred Customer

This should be a sticky....

shelbycobra

Established Member
shelby

the car is stock and i have no plans on doing anything to it just enjoy it,i may put 3,000 miles a year on it

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The tribe has spoken.....

(walks over and puts flame out) :thumbsup:

Bwahahahaha! He said "spoken" :lol:

We beat drums in this tribe, in case you don't understand why.....

mursi-tribe-ethiopia-1.jpg

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
what about royal purple

Stick with their HPS or XPR if you use it. The reason why i don't, I can buy Amsoil at wholesale/dealer cost. It's much more cost effective.

For example, Royal Purple XPR is $14.99 to $19.99 per quart.

I can buy Amsoil Dominator racing oil for $9.15 per quart at dealer cost. Everyone on SVT Performance has access to dealer cost on everything Amsoil sells.

Last edited:

Olisickstang

Established Member

GT500 UOA thread

Shelby Oil

UOA testing kit

Preferred Customer

Is this all good for the 2012 model ?,

Thanks,
Olivier

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
The indicator seems to work by time and not mileage. Acura works by mileage. Change at every 3,000 (depending on how hard you drive the car) and reset it back to 100%. I use the B trip for oil and the A for watching fuel per tank.

tommy s

Established Member
The indicator seems to work by time and not mileage. Acura works by mileage. Change at every 3,000 (depending on how hard you drive the car) and reset it back to 100%. I use the B trip for oil and the A for watching fuel per tank.

Good idea !!

Users who are viewing this thread