How much gas do you keep in your secondary and tertiary cars?

TK Doom

Established Member
Now that i have my 3 car garage working, and all 3 cars are able to be driven, how much gas do you keep it in them? They each go maybe 20 miles a week, that's it.

Is there anything special i should be doing to them? Both have battery tenders installed and plugged in.

drive_sideways

I normally fill my cars once they get to 1/4 tank, keeping it above 1/4 tank helps prevent condensation buildup if u live in a colder climate like I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I normally fill my cars once they get to 1/4 tank, keeping it above 1/4 tank helps prevent condensation buildup if u live in a colder climate like I do.

This is pretty much with what my wife and I do with our vehicles. No issues. I drive about 50-75 miles a week. My wife drives about 100 miles a week.

Coosawjack

Established Member
I would also suggest never running it much below 1/4 tank before refilling since the fuel pump is cooled by being submerged in fuel!!:cool:

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Right at a half tank, less weight. Pig needs all the help it can get.

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I keep mine on the low side due to not much time to drive them. Today's gas will go limp octane wise over time. Low octane, high boost... big problems.
I've driven out and/or pumped out old fuel just to add new so I can play hard.
All I can get is 91 octane. How old is it? Was it true 91 at the pump?
I also use Torco to ease the mind.
If you're driving 20 miles a week with multiple cars, how old is the last 1/8 tank gonna be on any given car? That's the kicker.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I normally fill mine when it gets to a quarter of a tank. I usually don't let it get below that unless it's about storage time just to get almost if the gas out. Since I don't drive mine often normally when I get gas I only fill it to above half a tank to 3/4 tank.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I tend to keep it pretty full with E85. I never run below a 1/3 tank....I go fill it up. This is one of the few cars I've owned that a full tank doesn't really bother me....the car tends to hook up much better with a full tank plus I have zero worries of fuel sloshing too far away from the pumps if you are getting froggy with so little in the tank. I've let the car sit with E85 for 6 week stretches and I've never had an issue with fuel quality. It will fire right up after sitting and will hit A/F ratios in the safe range when going WOT.

jrichber

browser
Established Member
Fill it, down to 1/4 tank, fill it, down to a 1/4 tank. Repeat.
And also if you are driving them every week, a battery tender it probably slight overkill. Unless you have a drain a car should be fine sitting less than a week. Not that it will hurt anything and if you feel better with the peace of mind have at it. Just do not see how it is needed.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It all depends on how much gas is in it when I park it. Sometimes it'll be under a 1/4 tank. Other times it'll be full. I think right now it's between 3/4 and full. But it doesn't sit for more than a couple weeks at a time. I think the longest was 3 weeks and that was because I was doing work to it.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
It all depends on how often you drive it. Some would argue to fill your tank on a car you don't drive often to prevent condensation. I do the exact opposite. These boosted cars require good high octane gas. If I kept my tanks full, I'd always have bad gas in the cars I don't drive much. Bad gas + a performance engine = hurt motor. I keep a 1/4 tank or less in my infrequently driven cars. That way I can mash the skinny pedal with confidence when the car comes out for exercise.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I would not beat on them routinely that low. Heat kills the pumps. Even bonestock cars have pumps almost 15 years old and they have and they will go out. I would say even stock guys datalog the car once a year minimum to check for pump function and nip it in the bud if it starts showing poor signs from your benchmarks.

TK Doom

Established Member
Well, the coupe is garaged in front of wifes car on driveway so i can't get it out at will.
Fusion and Vert have free access. This Christmas when i have my coupe taken in to have its issues fixed, I'll probably swap the 2 and continue to put more miles on the Coupe than the vert. Coupe is at 199k, Vert at 50k.

The tenders were put in when i drove them both super less, and every time i'd use them they would be dead.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I mainly run ethanol, and always have vp racing jugs in the garage. So generally I like to keep it at least half a tank, sometimes it's a little less. I'll run it lower when I'm making the switch from e70 to e85.

Users who are viewing this thread