how much oil and what weight are you using

trickability

Established Member
Can you tell me how many qts. of oil you guys are putting in your cobras, and also what weight oil are you using. Thanks:shrug:

hotcobra03

Established Member
ive always used 7qrts...5-20 castrol gtx,fl820s,stp oil treatment...

mine is a dd and being south of san antonio it only gets below freezing every blue moon

Ortiz99

Established Member
Autozone currently has a special of 5 quarts of Royal Purple with a K&N oil filter for 44 bucks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
9 qts of Amsoil 10w30 w/ amsoil filter for down here in Alabama.. Canton oil pan though.

gabe1530

Banned
6.5-7 quarts of castrol gtx 5w-20 & fl820s filter. i DD mine as well.
i used royal purple once and it made the car smoke horribly. never again.

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Can you tell me how many qts. of oil you guys are putting in your cobras, and also what weight oil are you using. Thanks:shrug:

Ford says 6 quarts of 5W-20.
These engines originally took and were designed for a 5W30, prior to CAFE penalties that prompted Ford to start using 5W20.

Most of us know this and have been using 5W30, and because 6.5 is more centered on the fill mark of the stick, most of us use 6.5 quarts.

Cars under a factory warranty need to use an API licensed oil.
Cars NOT UNDER WARRANTY would benefit greatly from the higher protection available from a "non-API performance oil" that has more anti wear protection than what is currently allowed in an API licensed oil.
Many oil companies now offer non-API performance oils or racing oils, your exhaust valve guides will live much longer with better protection. :)

Open Track, HPDE, Time Trials, and auto crossers should be using a 7 quart fill, due to the known drain back issues at sustained high rpm and the resulting oil pickup starvation issues.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ra-terminator-oil-fluids-recommendations.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread