How much power needed to take down a 2009 ZR-1??

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
I love when people say "you have 2 cars with the same hp, the lighter one will win" or "you will need 74.7 more hp to win" that shows a complete lack of knowledge/understading. Who cares about average hp along the entire range, torque, gearing etc. Just the hp matters, LOL. The reason why certian cars seem so fast with "less" hp is because they make lots of hp and torque THROUGHOUT the entire range of power. Just because your dyno queen tops out at 600hp on a dynojet does not mean a similar car will not beat it making 550 (or less) if the car making 550 makes more from 2500-6500 and your making most of yours at the top. Saying what hp your car made and saying what it will beat on paper makes no sense.

OP, I was not getting onto you, just remarking how many people on this site seem to really lack a true understading of power and racing. Also, who cares what happens after 150? if one car has a top speed of 200 and another 160, I think we know who will eventually win, but if you take him by serveral cars until 150, even when he finally passes you, thats your race, IMO.

I just wish people would spend a little more time trying to learn than trying to type. Dyno's, whether they are jets or mustangs are for tuning and seeing if a particualr mod/adjustment is working or not. Nothing more.

Heres a simple question:

2 cars, both the same, except for the cam. One makes 300hp the other 350hp on the same dyno, same day. Both auto's driven by similar weight drivers, cars left in drive. Who wins? (no traction issues)

before you answer, the car making 300 made and average hp of 200 from 2000-6000 and an average of 200 torque from 2000-5000. The car making 350 made an average of 160 from 2000-6000, but made 50 more the last 500-1000 rpms. It made an average of 170 torque from 2000-5000.

Now who wins and by alot? See my point. Looking at final numbers, no chance to the 300 guy, 50 hp, thats a few cars, but not in this race.

Next example: one guys sig 600hp the others 515, same year cobra, who wins? But wait, the 600 was on a 50 degree day on a dynojet. The 515 was on a mustang dyno on a 90 degree day with 90% humidity. Do the math, close ass race. Most people agree 10-15% difference between dynos, so I'll use 12%, so add 61 to the 515 and you have 576, then add/subtract for humidity, even race. Now look at dyno sheets and see who is making more average power/torque, now one has tko600 the other a t-56, lots of variables, way to many to even have a chance at a guess. But everyday on here people are just sure how a race is going to turn out with hardly any info.

Sorry for the the rant.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
but when you pay 100k for a car it better be able to beat a 30-40k mustang.

...thats modded up the ass. Stop with the ricer mentality. A legit setup whippled cobra is faster than 90% of cars you see on the road.

That 30-40k mustang better be able to beat that 2k civic hatch with a turbo...See where I'm going with this?

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
You cant make enough power to beat a ZR1. The ZR1 beats the cobra even when it is sitting still with the engine off. Its pretty much Chuck Norris on wheels.

alpha06

SKY 600
Established Member
stock zr1's trap from 128-132. A whippled cobra should run pretty close to a stock zr1.

I would change pulley's and get a race gas tune. You should then be able to run faster than 134mph which would make this a good race from a dig. After 140 weight and aerodynamics come into play. Go ahead and race him, you have nothing to lose.

StangJason

Established Member
I love when people say "you have 2 cars with the same hp, the lighter one will win" or "you will need 74.7 more hp to win" that shows a complete lack of knowledge/understading. Who cares about average hp along the entire range, torque, gearing etc. Just the hp matters, LOL. The reason why certian cars seem so fast with "less" hp is because they make lots of hp and torque THROUGHOUT the entire range of power. Just because your dyno queen tops out at 600hp on a dynojet does not mean a similar car will not beat it making 550 (or less) if the car making 550 makes more from 2500-6500 and your making most of yours at the top. Saying what hp your car made and saying what it will beat on paper makes no sense.

OP, I was not getting onto you, just remarking how many people on this site seem to really lack a true understading of power and racing. Also, who cares what happens after 150? if one car has a top speed of 200 and another 160, I think we know who will eventually win, but if you take him by serveral cars until 150, even when he finally passes you, thats your race, IMO.

I just wish people would spend a little more time trying to learn than trying to type. Dyno's, whether they are jets or mustangs are for tuning and seeing if a particualr mod/adjustment is working or not. Nothing more.

Heres a simple question:

2 cars, both the same, except for the cam. One makes 300hp the other 350hp on the same dyno, same day. Both auto's driven by similar weight drivers, cars left in drive. Who wins? (no traction issues)

before you answer, the car making 300 made and average hp of 200 from 2000-6000 and an average of 200 torque from 2000-5000. The car making 350 made an average of 160 from 2000-6000, but made 50 more the last 500-1000 rpms. It made an average of 170 torque from 2000-5000.

Now who wins and by alot? See my point. Looking at final numbers, no chance to the 300 guy, 50 hp, thats a few cars, but not in this race.

Next example: one guys sig 600hp the others 515, same year cobra, who wins? But wait, the 600 was on a 50 degree day on a dynojet. The 515 was on a mustang dyno on a 90 degree day with 90% humidity. Do the math, close ass race. Most people agree 10-15% difference between dynos, so I'll use 12%, so add 61 to the 515 and you have 576, then add/subtract for humidity, even race. Now look at dyno sheets and see who is making more average power/torque, now one has tko600 the other a t-56, lots of variables, way to many to even have a chance at a guess. But everyday on here people are just sure how a race is going to turn out with hardly any info.

Sorry for the the rant.

Post of the year IMO

I think if you race for long after 140mph the Reaper or the lawyer that prosecutes you for killing someone will win. Also why race past 140mph when the 1/4 mile is long past with most cars:shrug:

onebadsvt

Established Member

Heres a simple question:

i hope none of that was directed to me becaus i know more than my share about powerbands. and im pretty sure i know more about vetts and cobras than u. i know for a fact that from a roll a z06 with 500rwhp will beat a cobra with 575rwhp by 1 car. ive seen it 10 times from diff rolls. the zr1 has an awesome and much longer powerband than a cobra. it has us beat in almost every way.

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
It was not directed at anyone in particular and everyone in general. You have no idea my background, but your pretty sure you know more than me, thats good.

So your saying a 500rwhp zo6 regradless of year, gears, tire size, tune, milage etc. will beat a 575rwhp cobra regardless of year, weight, gears, poweradder, tune etc, by one car everytime. Well, I learn something everyday, cool, thanks.

BTW, basing your blanket statement on the two particular cars you know personally and applying them to all vehicles of similar hp level would not stand up to most scientific tests. You did prove my point though, thanks!

onebadsvt

Established Member
It was not directed at anyone in particular and everyone in general. You have no idea my background, but your pretty sure you know more than me, thats good.

So your saying a 500rwhp zo6 regradless of year, gears, tire size, tune, milage etc. will beat a 575rwhp cobra regardless of year, weight, gears, poweradder, tune etc, by one car everytime. Well, I learn something everyday, cool, thanks.

BTW, basing your blanket statement on the two particular cars you know personally and applying them to all vehicles of similar hp level would not stand up to most scientific tests. You did prove my point though, thanks!

sorry i wasnt tryin to be a dick about it, i just do have alot of knowledge about both cars from owning them both. and im not comparing just 2 cars. the vette in a c6z and i have watcched races with 4 kb cobras and seen all outcomes and what power they needed at their weight to pull on the c6z with stock gearing. so im saying that these particular cars(the zr1 and the cobra in ?) would turn out the way i said because we know their power output,gearing,etc.. and theres really no way around the cobra getting beat from a roll, but like you stated a dig race, or something of that sort when traction becomes an issue you never know what will happen.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Well, from what I've seen, it takes close to 600whp to beat a regular Z06 so I don't know... I'd say AT LEAST a 100shot on top of your setup, maybe more... :shrug: These frickin cars are stupid fast !

Got an idea for you, run him for fun and let us know how it turns out !

that statement is as false is it can be. I have some C6 ZO6's (3 that come to mind) with my power level by about a 1/2-3/4 car.

The ZR1's are heavier than the ZO6 and supposedly only dynoed 511 rwhp. So I think the 638 is skewed. I would still get raped by one though.

onebadsvt

Established Member
im just comparing which car is faster with the same conditions, traction, etc... and ya, 20s ans 500+rwhp=stupid.

WikedCobra

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I doubt the ZR1 owner will modify his car at all. So, I guess, at the very least, I should up the boost to maybe 21#s with a race gas tune. Then it might be a closer race.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The ZR1's are heavier than the ZO6 and supposedly only dynoed 511 rwhp. So I think the 638 is skewed. I would still get raped by one though.

The 638 is SAE certified, so most likely no fudging of the numbers. Also, for tha 511rwhp you say, there are ~550ish ones out there. Dyno numbers can vary big time.

onebadsvt

Established Member
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I doubt the ZR1 owner will modify his car at all. So, I guess, at the very least, I should up the boost to maybe 21#s with a race gas tune. Then it might be a closer race.

screw it go 23lbs, c16, and youll have 650+rwhp. should make for a good matchup! as long as you have the driver mod

BlueSnake01

Established Member
that statement is as false is it can be. I have some C6 ZO6's (3 that come to mind) with my power level by about a 1/2-3/4 car.

They have been some that dyno more than other's, I have heard that they heat soak on dyno's other say they run perfectly fine so its actually a toss up. I agree with 1badblownstang on what he said, take for example this vid. The GTR is a lot heavier and has bit less power (well I think it does, it just says 600+ hp) than a stock ZR1 but it kept up pretty damn good if you ask me, of course ZR1 still beat it but it wasnt a kill at all. Either way it showed how good the GT-R can get with bolt on's on stock turbo's and how much of a monster the ZR-1 still is :beer:. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gLxo-dALqg"]YouTube - HD - Corvette ZR1 vs Nissan GT-R R35 vs Corvette Z06: Race 2[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread