How much power needed to take down a 2009 ZR-1??

TNTramair

Established Member
...thats modded up the ass. Stop with the ricer mentality. A legit setup whippled cobra is faster than 90% of cars you see on the road.

That 30-40k mustang better be able to beat that 2k civic hatch with a turbo...See where I'm going with this?

exactly!

You cant make enough power to beat a ZR1. The ZR1 beats the cobra even when it is sitting still with the engine off. Its pretty much Chuck Norris on wheels.

thats some funny shit right there..lol...:beer:

03cobrarocks

Established Member
They have been some that dyno more than other's, I have heard that they heat soak on dyno's other say they run perfectly fine so its actually a toss up. I agree with 1badblownstang on what he said, take for example this vid. The GTR is a lot heavier and has bit less power (well I think it does, it just says 600+ hp) than a stock ZR1 but it kept up pretty damn good if you ask me, of course ZR1 still beat it but it wasnt a kill at all. Either way it showed how good the GT-R can get with bolt on's on stock turbo's and how much of a monster the ZR-1 still is :beer:. YouTube - HD - Corvette ZR1 vs Nissan GT-R R35 vs Corvette Z06: Race 2

Someone please tell that ****** in the gt-r to turn off his flashers

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
It's dissapointing to know that a C6Z would crush my car, and it looks like it's just being toyed with by those cars.... insane.

03cobrarocks

Established Member
and back to the ops question

what psi are you currently running? I say up the bost 2 or 3 more pounds, get a 75 shot and a little weight reduction and I think you would win.

onebadsvt

Established Member
They have been some that dyno more than other's, I have heard that they heat soak on dyno's other say they run perfectly fine so its actually a toss up. I agree with 1badblownstang on what he said, take for example this vid. The GTR is a lot heavier and has bit less power (well I think it does, it just says 600+ hp) than a stock ZR1 but it kept up pretty damn good if you ask me, of course ZR1 still beat it but it wasnt a kill at all. Either way it showed how good the GT-R can get with bolt on's on stock turbo's and how much of a monster the ZR-1 still is :beer:. [

there was a gt-r that raced with us with every mod minus aftermarket turbos, he make like 570whp and runs like 10.70s i believe

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
...thats modded up the ass. Stop with the ricer mentality. A legit setup whippled cobra is faster than 90% of cars you see on the road.

That 30-40k mustang better be able to beat that 2k civic hatch with a turbo...See where I'm going with this?

No I don't. If you read my post I was talking about the original list price of the Cobra vs the original list price of the ZR-1. With the ZR-1 you are paying almoust 3 times the amount of $$$ for the Vette, so it is not a surprise to me that the Vette would be 3 times faster stock vs stock. Do you see where I'm going with this? Once you start playing the modded game the rules change and the sky is the limit. But this time the ZR-1 has a better platform to start with.

As for the whippled Cobra you are right, they are faster than 90% of the cars you see on the road. But after buying a 100k factory supercharged ZR-1 I would hope that it would still beat that whippled Cobra. Do you see where I'm going with this? And if you think I'm trying to trash the Vette you are wrong.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
The 638 is SAE certified, so most likely no fudging of the numbers. Also, for tha 511rwhp you say, there are ~550ish ones out there. Dyno numbers can vary big time.

I agree...I was just shocked....that same session (I believe) the GT500 made 6 more hp.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
1badblownstang, I'm not going to quote your post because of its length, But considering both the cars in question have positve displacement blowers their power band is going to be very similar. The differences now are weight, aerodynamics and gearing. With the Cobra weighing more, has an aerodynamic disadvantage and a gearing disadvantage at high speeds, the laws of physics would say MORE POWER FOR THE COBRA!

By dropping 100lbs Its like gaining 10 hp. That is an avarage and not taking in acount for aerodynamics and gearing. So with the ZR-1 at 3300 lbs and the Cobra at 3700 lbs its 400 lbs disadvantage. So now considering the aerodynamics and gearing, the Cobra is grossly disadvantaged tothe ZR-1. And the faster the speed gets more horsepower is required to accelerate. Its physics. At higher speeds aerodynamics is a HUGE factor. Unfortunately the Cobra will never match the aerodynamic efficiency of the Vette or even really come that close. So even more power is needed. Thats why I say 100 hp. 150 to really put on the hurt.

180ls1

Established Member
Cobras could do the same with a good twin screw set up....

I usually dont see twin screw cobras that quick.
A stock boost ZR1 with exhaust and a tune will make 600rwhp now add a nice cam and you have a 650rwhp car on stock boost. I have no idea what a pulley would gain but i am sure it is impressive.

Last edited:

1badblownstang

juiced snake
Established Member
1badblownstang, I'm not going to quote your post because of its length, But considering both the cars in question have positve displacement blowers their power band is going to be very similar. The differences now are weight, aerodynamics and gearing. With the Cobra weighing more, has an aerodynamic disadvantage and a gearing disadvantage at high speeds, the laws of physics would say MORE POWER FOR THE COBRA!

By dropping 100lbs Its like gaining 10 hp. That is an avarage and not taking in acount for aerodynamics and gearing. So with the ZR-1 at 3300 lbs and the Cobra at 3700 lbs its 400 lbs disadvantage. So now considering the aerodynamics and gearing, the Cobra is grossly disadvantaged tothe ZR-1. And the faster the speed gets more horsepower is required to accelerate. Its physics. At higher speeds aerodynamics is a HUGE factor. Unfortunately the Cobra will never match the aerodynamic efficiency of the Vette or even really come that close. So even more power is needed. Thats why I say 100 hp. 150 to really put on the hurt.

Yeah, and I am not disagreeing with you and I agree with your logic. I think given a set of facts about certian cars we can make some conclusions. That goes back to knowing what basic mods do and so forth. But there are so many variables to deal with especially as the cars get more modded. I am not discounting amny of you but take a scroll through some of these threads and see what I'm talking about on here. People come to complete conclusions with hardly any facts about cars they have never seen run, never seen the dyno sheet, the tuner etc.

Onebadsvt, I not was trying to be a dick either and my second post sounded a bit condensending. I beleive many of you guys have tons of knowledge, theres lots good info put out here. It just seems this one area is a place where people come to very conclusive answers that simply cannot be without MUCH more detail. I guess I am probably the one looking to far into it, I just know I have personally beaten cars much lighter with the same hp (but not the same torque) and have also beat cars supposedly much faster than mine. If I came off as high and mightly I apologize.

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
No I don't. If you read my post I was talking about the original list price of the Cobra vs the original list price of the ZR-1. With the ZR-1 you are paying almoust 3 times the amount of $$$ for the Vette, so it is not a surprise to me that the Vette would be 3 times faster stock vs stock. Do you see where I'm going with this? Once you start playing the modded game the rules change and the sky is the limit. But this time the ZR-1 has a better platform to start with.

As for the whippled Cobra you are right, they are faster than 90% of the cars you see on the road. But after buying a 100k factory supercharged ZR-1 I would hope that it would still beat that whippled Cobra. Do you see where I'm going with this? And if you think I'm trying to trash the Vette you are wrong.

The argument you are giving me can be used for any two cars that you want to compare, and its the same argument that the ricers give me at the local meets. After winning a race, when i was stock, againts a turbo civic that was talking crap, I got the usual "Well for that kind of money you spent I would HOPE you would beat a civic."

The right thing to say is, " Damn, I have all this work done to X car and you beat me in a stock X, awesome!"

How would you feel if I said," Well having spent all that money on mods I would HOPE you would beat a stock X"

To an extent, it is trash talking.

Last edited:

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
I usually dont see twin screw cobras that quick.
A stock boost ZR1 with exhaust and a tune will make 600rwhp now add a nice cam and you have a 650rwhp car on stock boost. I have no idea what a pulley would gain but i am sure it is impressive.

so you are saying that a 675-700 rwhp cobra won't run 140 in the 1/4?

180ls1

Established Member
so you are saying that a 675-700 rwhp cobra won't run 140 in the 1/4?

no i am just saying that it would suck for the op to drop some serious coin into a setup that makes high 600's rwhp only to have his neighbor do a few simple mods and still pull him.

180ls1

Established Member
gotcha:beer:

ya no worries those cars are just stupid quick, check this one out with stock exhaust, stock heads and a stock cam. 740rwhp 720rwtq.
[ame=http://www.lingenfelter.com/LPEforumfiles/showthread.php?t=123]Lingenfelter 2009 C6 ZR1 Corvette Runs 10.03 @ 141.50 MPH! - Lingenfelter Performance Engineering Forum[/ame]

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
lots of stupidity in this thread.

original poster:::

your best race is a dig race.

many reports have the ZR1 running low, low 11's in the 1/4 mile. all you need to do is run 10's to beat it. plenty of terminator owners have hit 10's with your power level, or slightly higher, even with a manual and the IRS. at your current power level, you'd need some weight reduction (rear seat delete, passenger seat out, spare tire/jack out, etc), skinnies up front, and good drag radials in the back on a 15-16" wheel. a solid rear would be even better for another 120lbs loss.

from a roll, your toast, and above 140mph your toast. that's all you need to know. put a 3.0 pulley on your whipple, and add a tune for good gas---you'll be at 615rwhp

Zan186

Established Member
hmm, I think the trade in mod would be best if you are looking to beat a ZR1.

A Ford GT with a Whipple will do it for ya. A 2008 Dodge Viper with a good tune, CAI and exhaust will do it too.

Keep in mind the ZR1 is pretty much a modded Z06. It also is fairly close to max limits. Any ZR1 modded much more is a vehicle ready to break apart.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Keep in mind the ZR1 is pretty much a modded Z06. It also is fairly close to max limits. Any ZR1 modded much more is a vehicle ready to break apart.

not even close to true. are you serious?? my little 4.6 makes almost 700hp at the crank without breaking a sweat. don't you think a motor with 1.6 liters more displacement will make 800hp with absolute ease???

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member

uh....not even. ZR1 isn't a 7.0.....different EVERYTHING on the car.

And the car is made to perfection....look at the Lingenfelter....700+ rwhp. Still in tact.

I say if you get a twin screw, weight reduction, and a 100-150 shot you will be fine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread