How much power needed to take down a 2009 ZR-1??

WikedCobra

Established Member
My old neighbor bought a new 2009 ZR-1 a few weeks ago. The car is beautiful and fast as hell. He keeps joking that he would like to race my Cobra. My question is, what would it take to beat this car. The guy knows how to drive and as far as I know the car is stock. How much power would I need to safely beat this car in a race (probably from a dig and from a roll).

Or will I get whopped no matter what I do?? :shrug:

Thanks.

Avenger

Established Member
Well, from what I've seen, it takes close to 600whp to beat a regular Z06 so I don't know... I'd say AT LEAST a 100shot on top of your setup, maybe more... :shrug: These frickin cars are stupid fast !

Got an idea for you, run him for fun and let us know how it turns out !

Last edited:

onebadsvt

Established Member
with the weight and gearing adv. you will need at least 75rwhp more than him to run even. 100rwhp to pull!

LthlGt500

Established Member
The problem with the z06 or the zr1 is keeping up with them after the top of your 4th gear...once you go past 140 the z06/zr1 will shine....come with 100whp more then the zr1 and it should be a good race

onebadsvt

Established Member
it should be a close race from a dig, and a roll also but he will most likely pull you after 80mph..

they make the same hp have a 500lb weigh adv and superior gearing and aerodynamics. it wont be that close as they sit.

BayouVette

Far Beyond Driven
Established Member
isn't crazy that you need your mod list PLUS 100shot to compete with a stock car. Its just mind boggling.

I'd stick with the dig. Lots more variables involved that can help you out.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
As already stated, they dyno pretty much the same, have better gearing (especially the higher gears), and weigh several hundred #'s less.

If he sucks at driving then you could easily beat him.

FastOldGuy52

Established Member
I'm going to say you will need 650-675hp on the ground to beat him convincingly plus all the tire you can get . Race 1/4 mile so as to keep the top speed below 140 range. Reports say they are "traction limited" to 11.1-11.5 sec from the factory. So having the right suspension and tire set up for your Cobra will be very key if you go from a dig. Wind resistance is key if you go to speeds over 120 range IMHO.

Last edited:

Alloy Snake

Established Member
Traction is worth 60% and Horsepower 40%.I dont think there will be a big difference in the quarter with that setup.Once you get to the low 11s or high 10s it takes a whole lot to go a little faster.I would be too pumped lining up,Stay calm and work the car!

wtfMACH1?

Is that a GT?
Established Member
once past 140, i think the vette will take it. my buddy's kb cobra always falls behind his dads new zo6 that putts down just over 5 to the wheels. deff win if it was a turbo set up for the cobra though

onebadsvt

Established Member
once past 140, i think the vette will take it. my buddy's kb cobra always falls behind his dads new zo6 that putts down just over 5 to the wheels. deff win if it was a turbo set up for the cobra though

once past 60 the vette will take it. you have 2 cars making the same hp and one weighs alot less and is more aerodynamic why would it take untill 140 for it to pull?

KILRSVT

Established Member
i would say at least get a 100 shot wet.. and some good tires. his ass will be surprised that a little cobra could keep up or beat a big bad expensive zr1

180ls1

Established Member
Just remember with a cam, longtubes, pulley that zr1 could pull 140+mph in the 1/4, they mod up really easily also.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
isn't crazy that you need your mod list PLUS 100shot to compete with a stock car. Its just mind boggling.

I'd stick with the dig. Lots more variables involved that can help you out.

Yea and that ZR-1 is also $60k over the original list price of the Cobra. Don't get me wrong, its an amazing car that kicks the European supercars in the teeth and steals their women but when you pay 100k for a car it better be able to beat a 30-40k mustang.

To the OP you will need at least 100 more rwhp to beat that car. I say up the boost on a race gas tune. 650 rwhp will give you a good shot but 700 would seal the deal with ease. So maybe up the boost and 50 shot.

Users who are viewing this thread