How to calm a hyper dog down?

Monster Mach

Established Member
Thanks for all the tips folks.

And we are getting a third dog because my other 2 dogs are getting old and can't go on walks anymore and tbh they are attatched. At night they must be in the same cage or they freak out. If our Bichon goes to the groomer the 9 year old lab howels and howels missing her best buddy Dante. Dante is 14 and lilli is 9 but both act and perform like puppies. Dante is showin his age ever so slowly In the hip area.

And if something happens to either one we are terrified of how the other will take it.

When I say outside dogs they are in our fenced in back yard that they pretty much own now.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member

This!

Walking is OK but dogs need to run! Play fetch throw a stick in a pond so she swims for it. Stuff like that she needs to run.

Also as others have said stimulation . I have found that teaching my dog new tricks is awesome stimulation for her and she will be content just from the stimulation of it.

A tired dog is a good dog.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
You could always try freezing peanut butter or cheese in a kong keeps them busy for awhile I do this before I leave for work or when I just want some time to fire up the Xbox. It's not a fix but just something for them to do to calm down while inside the house.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
You could always try freezing peanut butter or cheese in a kong keeps them busy for awhile I do this before I leave for work or when I just want some time to fire up the Xbox. It's not a fix but just something for them to do to calm down while inside the house.

I was just getting ready to type the same thing!

Frozen banana works too.

Our boxer will wear herself out on trying to get all of the banana or peanut butter. We dont do it as much now that shes older, shes pretty laid back now, but in the first couple of years, she just wanted to play 24/7 and our vet suggested the Kong to us. Works great!

Sirhc7897

Established Member
That's interesting that your lab has stayed hyper to that age. Every lab we have ever had started out super hyper as a puppy and around 2-3 it was like somebody flipped off the light switch and they just mellowed out to the point of almost being serviceable doorstops while inside.

I would tend to agree that once the newness of being inside wears off it will settle down but every dog is different...Our 12 year old chocolate won't get excited no matter what (and never has) whereas our 7 year old yellow lab goes so spastic that we have to put her in the bedroom when we have company because she works herself into a frenzy and will have a seizure...

sc98cbra

Established Member
Is she spayed? Also, I would consider getting a second dog. Probably one with a mellow personality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread