HOW-TO-> fix 03-04 SVT Cobra Gauge lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
I'm new to the site and seen several old how-to's lacking pictures but look like they were very well done. I hope your pictures stay up and don't disappear.

Four6Trix

Thanks Caveeagle for an awesome write up. I just completed this tonight and my gauges work like new!

Red2003Cobra...you were right the second time around, although the inverter is probably toasted. I got a little hung up on that step as well. Basically, there are the two white wires that you clipped off the old inverter. These will be connected to the two black wires coming out of the new inverter (which used to lead to all of the accessory connections that you clipped off). What he was saying originally is that it doesn't matter which of the two black wires attaches to which white ones...as long as they're connected. Hope this helps!

svtaddict

Established Member
hey my gauges work now! one question though. seems the new inverter makes a loud buzzing noise not terribly loud but after awhile i could imagine annoying. anybody else get this?

OH3BLKSVT

Screwed by the twins
Established Member
Sweet write up! I had this happen once about a year ago and let it sit over night and in the morning it worked fine hmm. Good to have out there if it happens again, knock on wood.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
hey my gauges work now! one question though. seems the new inverter makes a loud buzzing noise not terribly loud but after awhile i could imagine annoying. anybody else get this?

I have not noticed this. Did you solder or use crimp connections?

You may want to call speedhut and see if it might be a defective inverter.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
So I did this and it didn't work question on the wiring did you tie both blacks together then connected to the white? Or just one of them

svtaddict

Established Member
soldered them but you its not that bad of a noise. its only at night and you dont even notice it unless you know what your listening for. thanks

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
So I did this and it didn't work question on the wiring did you tie both blacks together then connected to the white? Or just one of them

There two sides to the speedhut inverter.
Side A: is White and Black
Side B: is Black and Black

On Side A: The green & Blue wires (on the cluster) are spliced together and connected to the White wire (on the speedhut inverter). The Black connects to black.

On Side B: You just connect each of the black wires (speedhut) to a white wire individually (on the cluster) They are reversable, so it does not matter which one goes to which.

702lightning

Sck Snake
Established Member
There two sides to the speedhut inverter.
Side A: is White and Black
Side B: is Black and Black

On Side A: The green & Blue wires (on the cluster) are spliced together and connected to the White wire (on the speedhut inverter). The Black connects to black.

On Side B: You just connect each of the black wires (speedhut) to a white wire individually (on the cluster) They are reversable, so it does not matter which one goes to which.

Sweet thank you! Hope I didn't fry this new inverter lol

03sm3341

Established Member

The loud buzzing your hearing is the frequency. The frequency is how the inverters can change colors. The cheaper speedhut on is one color only though. But they work by.....frequency of electricity= color Voltage = brightness. You'll notice when you change colors on the upper model inverter the buzzing will change tones.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
Google is a marvelous tool. ;)

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

They rep I spoke with seemed very knowledgable. He was even able to discuss the repair of by '04 Cobra cluster.

They do offer other types of inverters. I know there is even a version that will allow you to change the color a bit. I just went with the simple one. I wanted it to all fit in the original cluster and look as stick as possible.

caveeagle

Currently Decompressing
Established Member
The part # for the one I used is: "A-INVERT-04"

There are others that will work, but that one seemed to be the best option, and will fit in the stock location behind the gauges.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread