I drove the GT350R at Lime Rock Park... In this thread- I share my thoughts

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Let me say this in advance, and I am NOT a writer, and didnt proof read this for grammar etc.

I was on the fence…But man, I am now totally on board.

As an owner of 8 mustangs previously, 4 of which were Shelby GT500s- I was curious if this normally aspirated “track car” was for me. My 2013 GT500, with 662hp, was a big brute of a machine, faster than most supercars, and even some street bikes. I like the big crazy raw power, but the ability to handle well for a day on the track, or just some twisty roads. So this “underpowered” model just didn’t excite me that much. But I keep buying the latest Cobra Mustang (I’ve had 96, 99, 03, 08, 11, 13, 13), so it was just assumed, I was ordering one of these, too.

My good friend, and next door neighbor in college is a Ford Dealer in Michigan, I shot him a text late last year and said “I think I want one, can you give me a similar deal as on my 2013?” Sure, we don’t markup cars here. So here I am, with a deal below MSRP, and just waiting for it to be scheduled. But I was still wavering, even after putting in my order with him. I knew that I could give my allocation to a line of 5 or 6 people that want one, so for that reason, I started looking around. New Dodge Viper? Used R8 V8? Aston Martin V8 Vantage? They were all in my price range, but I just wasn’t excited about any of them. I know I wanted to stay under $80k, with a manual transmission, that was exciting to drive, and visually appealing. But I’m a Ford guy at heart. My family was a dealer from 1929-2006 when Ford did consolidations of the smaller dealers. Our family had a great life for years because of Ford. And my allegiance to the Brand has always kept me coming back. Out of 30 cars I’ve owned, 24 have had the Ford Oval (or the Snake) on the front of it. So, it wasn’t easy to look elsewhere. I was on the fence.

A few months back, I get an email from Ford Performance, inviting me to Lime Rock Park CT, Road Racing Center of the East, to take the new GT350 for a spin. For years, Lime Rock has been my “Home Track.” Its where my friends and would go watch the Rolex Vintage festival, the now Defunct ALMS, amongst some other track days we would participate in. So, I took the day off from work in advance. Got up at 4am, set Pandora to “Tomorrowland Radio” to keep myself awake, and drove in darkness to CT for an 8am start time.

When I pulled into the paddock, I was immediately excited when I saw 8 cars on track, 4 Track Pack cars, and 4 “R’s.” As well as an Avalanche Gray with Blue Stripe car, amongst others in the Ford Garage.

5554ce5c725314c2e2a95c8afc7af5c3.jpg

92d82233fee51aa4198a7c9bf3f9f8f0.jpg

Ford put on one hell of show, it was broken into 4 segments, 1st- we got to meet Jim Owens, Marketing for Ford Performance. He gave us the whole history of racing with Ford. From how the company started, to the 60s when Carroll Shelby and his boys smoked Ferrari with the Ford GT40, up until now, where we are truly LUCKY to be “Ford guys.” Why? Because Ford is Launching 20 new Ford Performance cars between now, and 2020, with the 1st being this GT350. “Ok,” I thought to myself, you’re wetting my appetite, and getting the nostalgia going. You’re reminding me of conversations of the “old Ford” with my grandfather who passed away 9 years ago, and the times I spent in the right seat of my Uncle’s 69 Torino Cobrajet, or his 71 Mach1, that Tasca modified for him over and over again. He got me ready to go.

ac563dab844c16fbbc5e3a49edfc647e.jpg

After wiping my eyes, we went over to what I call the “feature preachers” these guys knew every single nook and cranny of the car. They went over all the options and specs with us. It was nice, but by now- I was hearing the roar of the cars on the track. I pretty much stopped listening and walked over track side, to see these cars ripping up to 140mph on the Sam Posey Straight at Lime Rock.

Some Video of the cars on the straight:

https://vimeo.com/141293935
https://vimeo.com/141294275
https://vimeo.com/141294306

The GT350 has 3 modes, comfort, sport, and Track. With Track mode on, I’m 100% shocked that the decibel levels are legal (I don’t think they are!). It is LOUD. Like, REALLY loud. I was having flashbacks of being at Lime Rock during one of the ALMS or Continental Tire series races I used to go to.

When I initially ordered my car as order banks opened, I put in for the Tech Pack. I figured I spend more time in the car than just on the track, I like the Nav, the better stereo, the heated and cooled seats, etc. But I was miffed that I couldn’t order Recaro seats with this package like I had in both of my 2013 GT500s. So today, I wanted to try both sets of seats. Sat in the tech pack, hated the seats. Sat in the Track Pack, Loved the seats. They are MUCH more supportive than the 12-14 Recaros. A bit narrower in the leg though. I’m 6 feet, 175lb, broad shouldered, but with a 32” waist, very much “V-shaped” if you will. If you’re any larger than a 36” waist, I think the Recaros MIGHT be a bit snug until broken in a bit. I immediately changed my mind on what Package I wanted when I sat in the Recaros, and said “no nav, no heated seats it is!.”

The real difference between the two packages is that the Tech Pack gets The Navigation, the Heated and Cooled seats, more speakers, Satellite radio, and “Base” mustang GT seats that have been wrapped with some Alcantara. You also get a smaller deck lid spoiler. The Track Pack gets you the Engine, Trans, and differential auxiliary coolers, the large deck lid spoiler, the Recaros, and the Base stereo with NO satellite radio. If I had it my way, I would like to have seen these as standalone options. I would have done the track pack and added nav and satellite. The only way I can do that- is if I go with R, which A- I cant get unless I wanted to spend a $10k dealer markup and B- I refuse to spend $70k+ on any Mustang. I can add satellite later, and the Waze app on my phone in a Koomus windshield mount will be just fine for now.

The group before me was about to finish their laps, so I grabbed a muffin (thanks for the Free Food Ford!), woofed it down, and went over and got fitted for my helmet and HANS device. I was the 1st one up, and the 1st car up front was a Black/Black R. So, I hopped in. Fired it up, got some instructions from the instructor and off we went.

823842762eaae80abc16e75f7ee94c1a.jpg

I ripped through 1st and 2nd, popped the ass end out into third gear, and pushed through the 1st turn, in through the chicane, I could feel the car just wanting more, the Brakes: Superb. At the end of the long straight, at about 140MPH, I literally stood on them, and they brought me right down to the correct speed, entering back into the turn. Through the nitty gritty areas, the car easily rotated through, not missing a beat. I was really worried about the straight line acceleration before I drove it. NOPE. This car’s power band just keeps pulling and pulling all the way to redline, and once you shift, it keeps pulling and pulling. It honestly felt like the same freight train-esque feeling that my 13 gave. But it was different. Like really different. This car didn’t scare the shit out of me. It felt complacent, it felt planted, it felt like no Mustang I have ever felt before- it was actually, dare I say, confidence inspiring. On the ragged edge driving this car, it sticks. I really have a hard time putting it into words. All I know is that at speed- I felt like I was in control. Where in my 13, 11, 08, 03 etc. I felt like I was always fighting the car. This car, actually wanted me to drive it hard, and kept begging for more.

After my laps, I got to hop in for a “hot lap” with one of the instructors. I hopped in with “Rod” who was a really nice guy, talked to me through thing explaining what he was doing. After the 1st lap, I immediately regretted eating the muffin 30 or so mins before. Now, I’m a good driver, I used to do more track days, but up until recently, my only track driving since 2011 was in a 1989 Dodge Shelby Daytona in a LeMons race in NH, until I blew up the engine after about an hour in the car. So you could say, I was a bit rusty- and I must have been taking it easy on my laps, because ROD- put the car through the paces, using every inch of the track, every ounce of its power, and holy crap, those brakes. Rod was literally standing on the brakes at every turn, and getting the car to do things, that really showed how amazing this car is.

When I got out of the car, we went over to the parts display, where I got to check out the carbon fibre wheels, the magneride suspension bits, the underside of the flipped over GT350, as well as hear a bit more about the cars development. Blah Blah blah, everything I’ve already read on svtperformance.com, heard about from friends at Ford, and read all over the internet.

I stopped paying attention, I was on the phone, texting my dealer to change the order, I went from a Tech Pack, Avalanche Gray with a black roof. To a Track Pack, Avalanche Gray with Blue stripes, and a car cover. I want to be on the track more now, this car just begs for it. I also want to do more road trips, and the Recaros, they’re just so comfortable. I had to have them. I don’t need the frills of nav (waze works great and tells you were the police are!) , I don’t need 10 speakers, the noise this car makes is all I need. I don’t need ventilated seats, I’ll take a shower before bed. If I had to have all of those things in this car, I would have just bought an M4. But if I did that, I would have paid $20k more, and got, a lot less car. My GT350 will be in come March. My GT500 was picked up by the new owner yesterday, and driven back to Illinois.

c2b54dca9e40c275a9af7a7499f86233.jpg

6fad260404c62c5831c3ec24035e4320.jpg

If you’re on the fence like was , just do it, hope over the fence. It is totally worth it.

Feel free to ask an questions about the car, and I'll do my best to answer

Last edited:

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Any word on the reasoning behind the holdup?

Hold up on delivery? all that was said when the question was asked was "we needed to get the 15s out 1st"

For whatever reason, that limited number of 15s was purely a marketing thing, and its held up the 16s

Edit- added some photos to original post

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Yup - delivery. There has been a number of '15 cars produced some time ago that have just sat there. It happens, I fully understand that. I was just curious as to the rationale on this car.

ON EDIT - great photos Chris!

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
great write up! thank you. I've been having a hard time being a adult and not being really dumb and ordering one. in theory i can afford one, but should I. this didn't help, lol.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Yup - delivery. There has been a number of '15 cars produced some time ago that have just sat there. It happens, I fully understand that. I was just curious as to the rationale on this car.

ON EDIT - great photos Chris!

It's absolutely stupid if you ask me. But the wait has pushed me from having to take it mid winter to probably March: I'm happy about that

Last edited:

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Chris great write up, now I don't have to :)

I agree with everything you said, and let me add, it was weird hearing the instructors tell us "do NOT shift till 8000 rpms" that took some getting used to shifting so hi.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
great write up! thank you. I've been having a hard time being a adult and not being really dumb and ordering one. in theory i can afford one, but should I. this didn't help, lol.

Same here, I can afford one in theory as well. I'm fighting this Administration fee and after this write up, I'm going to open up contract negotiations. It didn't help reading this.

Chris, how is this exhaust, does it have a resonator? Are there ponies left on the table that can be unleashed?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the write up Chris. I've never been on a road track, hard-core drag guy and won't ever sell my '14 GT500; but damn I want a GT350.
Maybe in 2016-17---I think these cars will be much easier to get later in the model run, for those guys struggling with the ADMs, stretching the budget.
BTW--how did you like Avalanche in person? You know we share good taste with the SGM/blue GT500 :)
Congrats on the incoming ride.
-J
:beer:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
BTW---how'd it shift at 8000+?
Gotta be a crazy new experience in a Mustang.
Based on your limited experience, does it have any areas you feel can be improved in the aftermarket?
As soon as I drove off the lot in my '04 and '14 SVTs (first new cars I've bought), I could already tell 1-2 things I wanted to mod.
This appears to be a much more well-rounded package, but would be interested to hear your input.
-J

bpmurr

Established Member
Nice write up! Now I just need to sit in the Recaros to see how I feel.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Same here, I can afford one in theory as well. I'm fighting this Administration fee and after this write up, I'm going to open up contract negotiations. It didn't help reading this.

Chris, how is this exhaust, does it have a resonator? Are there ponies left on the table that can be unleashed?

It's loud, having 3 different modes helps quiet it down, or make it louder. Whichever you prefer. I'm sure the tuners will get more power out of them. But frankly, not sure why you would need any more power. The car is visceral as is

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
Thanks for the write up Chris. I've never been on a road track, hard-core drag guy and won't ever sell my '14 GT500; but damn I want a GT350.
Maybe in 2016-17---I think these cars will be much easier to get later in the model run, for those guys struggling with the ADMs, stretching the budget.
BTW--how did you like Avalanche in person? You know we share good taste with the SGM/blue GT500 :)
Congrats on the incoming ride.
-J
:beer:

Love the Avalanche in person. Solidified what I originally felt about the color

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
BTW---how'd it shift at 8000+?
Gotta be a crazy new experience in a Mustang.
Based on your limited experience, does it have any areas you feel can be improved in the aftermarket?
As soon as I drove off the lot in my '04 and '14 SVTs (first new cars I've bought), I could already tell 1-2 things I wanted to mod.
This appears to be a much more well-rounded package, but would be interested to hear your input.
-J

Shifted like buttah! Seriously, transmission/engine combo was great. Light clutch too!

I'm not sure what it would need in the aftermarket. Would need more time to determine. Car is the complete package and not sure I would touch it.

Blackdevil77

Established Member
I bet it ate up the corners HARD! One question that kept popping up in my mind, why does nobody other than Corvette use a dry sump oil set up? These cars now are capable of high G cornering, wouldn't they benefit from a dry sump like the Corvette did/does? I'm betting this thing corners as hard as a Stingray.

Lemers

Established Member
Shifted like buttah! Seriously, transmission/engine combo was great. Light clutch too!

I'm not sure what it would need in the aftermarket. Would need more time to determine. Car is the complete package and not sure I would touch it.

Weight reduction, perhaps?

Lighter exhaust, rims (for non R), what ever else can be lightened.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
It's loud, having 3 different modes helps quiet it down, or make it louder. Whichever you prefer. I'm sure the tuners will get more power out of them. But frankly, not sure why you would need any more power. The car is visceral as is

There is always room for more power....and jello :D

Saleen_1977

Established Member
It feels like we are all junior high kids asking the older kid..how his experience with the girl was.

Saleen_1977

Established Member
Chris, what about possible 4.10-4.30 gears? Since these cars like to rev and have a high rev limiter.

Users who are viewing this thread