I have to brake (break) 200 mph

n2fords2003

Established Member
they say the car will do it and its been a goal of mine for a long time. Im getting the car with a track package and I will go from there. I got limited connection with the SVT group and I will seek their advice on making it happen. It might just need uncroking a bit with none DOT exhaust and or different program. Whatever it needs will be easly obvious when the cars get out thete and people start playing with them. Anyone want to take a guess with it will take? Limiter?

My main consern is where am I going to do this? The Texas mile runs are one mile and probably too short for a near stock HP car. No way im running my prescious cobra or any of my cobras ever at Boneville Salt Flats. Not filling up every crack and joint with salt. guess I could find and great streach of freeway and hit it up at 4 in the morning on a week day..

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
1. Break
2. Please don't do it on a public road way, you could hurt yourself, as no roadway is perfectly flat
3. You need to find a couple miles of closed airstrip for an event

Van@RevanRacing

they say the car will do it and its been a goal of mine for a long time. Im getting the car with a track package and I will go from there. I got limited connection with the SVT group and I will seek their advice on making it happen. It might just need uncroking a bit with none DOT exhaust and or different program. Whatever it needs will be easly obvious when the cars get out thete and people start playing with them. Anyone want to take a guess with it will take? Limiter?

My main consern is where am I going to do this? The Texas mile runs are one mile and probably too short for a near stock HP car. No way im running my prescious cobra or any of my cobras ever at Boneville Salt Flats. Not filling up every crack and joint with salt. guess I could find and great streach of freeway and hit it up at 4 in the morning on a week day..

You have no idea what it takes to hit 200 MPH in any of these cars. Doing it on a highway other than a closed course is strongly discouraged. 200 isn't a joke. I've been there multiple times in multiple GT500's and they were always on closed courses.

The closing rate of objects at these speeds is mind boggling to someone who has never been there.

I encourage you to pursue your goal but do yourself and everybody else a favor and find a closed course to do it on.

Van

IcebourgGT500

Established Member
I have raced ALOT in my years from cars to motorcycles and 200 MPH is "No Joke". I have been at and over 200 MPH ( 201 on a GPS ) several times before on the Interstate.......Mexico Interstate that is and I can tell you that overtaking a vehicle is VERY Dangerous. The draft alone from passing by another vehicle at those speeds will push and pull your car into there lane ( if not careful ) once passed. Please find a closed course or air strip racing event for the attempt. :beer:

reason4treason

Established Member
Well not to mention, you don't have a grill to save you if you hit something at that speed. lol

But in all seriousness, even at a buck-fiddy, unless you have streetlights over the entire course, at 4 am you're going to be outdriving the range your lights for sure and have use of your vision in that situation that is about as good as Carroll Shelby who has macular degeneration and passed on the idea of doing 200 in the GT1000 saying it would be "stupid." And, you'd be surprised where you might cross paths with lidar at 3 am (I know I was), in which case I hope you have the attorney's fees and can take the hit on your license.

Last edited:

Blade Runner

Texas; We'll kick ur ass!
Established Member
They say the car will do it and it's been a goal of mine for a long time. I'm getting the car with a track package, and I will go from there. I've got a limited connection with the SVT group, and I will seek their advice on making it happen. It might just need uncorking a bit with non DOT exhaust and/or a different program. Whatever it needs will be easily obvious when the cars get out there and people start playing with them. Anyone want to take a guess what it will take? Limiter?

My main concern is, where am I going to do this? The Texas mile runs are one mile and probably too short for a near stock HP car. No way I'm running my precious cobra or any of my cobras ever at Bonneville Salt Flats. Not filling up every crack and joint with salt. I guess I could find a great stretch of freeway and hit it up at 4 in the morning on a week day..

I'm sure there are a few I didn't catch...

Last edited:

reason4treason

Established Member
I can see a lot of 2013 owners trying to go for 200 because Ford makes it sound so easy.

In the wrong setting at the wrong time might only get the chance to try once.

This is from the Road & Track article from 3/27/12: When the 1000 was conceived, Shelby wanted an easily driveable street-legal Mustang that would go 200 mph, without major visual modifications. That car has been built. At $149,995 (plus the cost of a GT500), the 1000 is by no means cheap, but it’s a substantive, expensive build, and the Shelby folks will tailor the suspension, tires and alignment for road racing, drag racing or street use. Although Shelby has talked about driving the 1000 in a standing mile and hitting the magic 200, he says macular degeneration has made his vision so bad that it would be “stupid” to now give it a try.

At least you'd be saving $150K in the GT500

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
All of which begs the question - if you crack the 200 mph barrier and attempt to turn your headlights on, what happens?

91svtbird

Established Member
All of which begs the question - if you crack the 200 mph barrier and attempt to turn your headlights on, what happens?

You go "back to the future"...time actually reverse's and you get younger.;-)

xavier296

Always another project.
Established Member
Ship it to Germany for vacation and enjoy. Jay Leno did it with a corvette.

I did 180 in my redfire on the way to Berlin. And it was still accelerating. Just long 6 gear pulls scare me.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
I can see a lot of 2013 owners trying to go for 200 because Ford makes it sound so easy.

Where do they make it sound easy?

200 in this car won't be easy. They only ran a couple mph over at Nardo. That's "a couple gusts of winds and you won't make it" territory.

SirJAG

Established Member
did 167 on a bike a few times...getting to 200 on that same bike would have required another 200hp...wow. good luck.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Where do they make it sound easy?

200 in this car won't be easy. They only ran a couple mph over at Nardo. That's "a couple gusts of winds and you won't make it" territory.

one thing is for sure though, the suspension and tires must be pretty good since the Nardo ring road is bumpy and not smooth.....but yea its not easy

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
You'd need WAY more than a standing mile to achieve 200 MPH in that car. The amount of power required to move the GT500 fast enough to overcome the drag resistance along would be a decent amount. Look at some of the past results for the Texas Mile events. Also try and find power numbers for those respected cars. It took a Ford GT over 2000 RWHP to achieve a 257 trap at the mile. Yeah, that's 57 MPH past 200, but it took over 3x the amount of power from a full race weight car that is MUCH slicker than a GT500.

Still waiting to see it do 200 though. YouTube will have it eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread