I love 3rd gear so much.

Bmr4life

Established Member
In my slightly modded 2011 A6 with stock 3.15s. It is just such a fantastic gear. Cruising at 75mph, I can punch it dropping down from 6th to 3rd and the car pulls like a maniac until 120mph~ where I left off as the car shifts into 4th. It is just brutal and ridiculous how I can destroy other cars on the highway in that quick burst. I also love how the motor sings the whole way. Its freaking awesome. :pepper:

Last edited:

Bmr4life

Established Member
now put a centri blower on it and really put a smile on your face.

Most of the time I seriously think I couldn't handle that. I mean this is crazy enough as is. All I really want is to run an 11.5 and I'd be good. Another 150-200wrhp is freaking crazy. Sad part is the FI HP/$ ratio is so great, its stupid not to get it. I go back and forth every other day. If I had $5k laying around it would be done by now though.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Most of the time I seriously think I couldn't handle that. I mean this is crazy enough as is. All I really want is to run an 11.5 and I'd be good. Another 150-200wrhp is freaking crazy. Sad part is the FI HP/$ ratio is so great, its stupid not to get it. I go back and forth every other day. If I had $5k laying around it would be done by now though.

hey man, just go with the base paxton kit with some 47# injectors and the base tune and you'll be runnin sub 11.50's all day long and never pushing the stock motor. Of course with your mods and a set of DR's your probably in the 12.0-11.8 range as it is.

I keep going back and forth about trading my 2013 M6 in for a 2013 auto.

Bmr4life

Established Member
hey man, just go with the base paxton kit with some 47# injectors and the base tune and you'll be runnin sub 11.50's all day long and never pushing the stock motor. Of course with your mods and a set of DR's your probably in the 12.0-11.8 range as it is.

I keep going back and forth about trading my 2013 M6 in for a 2013 auto.

If I had a converter I would be in the 11's. That's the one and only thing that sucks about the stock auto is it needs a converter.

Bmr4life

Established Member
It is even more rewarding when you perform those downshifts with a manual trans.

Mike

The ratios aren't the same. No manual (non gt500) is running 120mph in 3rd. Half of what I like about it so much is the chorus as the RPMs rise with no shift change.

Last edited:

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
I had an auto for a brief period, a 2011 GT/CS to be exact. Been driving manual all my life and took the auto due to one heck of a deal but it didn't last for me. I couldn't stand the car shifting for me. I almost fell a sleep driving the auto lol. There's nothing like working those gears and getting it just right each and everytime. Not even the best dual clutch tranny could replace that feeling. I know what you mean tho op. The auto was my first GT 5.0 and the first time I hit the gas I said "oh shyt" and this was on a stock car with only flowmaster cat back. I can only imagine how much fun you are having with tune, intake, or/x. I plan to go paxton next spring:thumbup:

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
How do you guys control what gear you start in if you want to run someone from a 30, 40, 50 mph roll? Is it even possible or do you have to just time when you want to start (say stomp on it on the 2nd honk or something) to adjust for the kick down?

Bmr4life

Established Member
How do you guys control what gear you start in if you want to run someone from a 30, 40, 50 mph roll? Is it even possible or do you have to just time when you want to start (say stomp on it on the 2nd honk or something) to adjust for the kick down?

I've honestly never roll raced before. Mostly just punching around slow people and losing people that try to ride my ass, lol. That is a good question though, I'm sure others know since more and more people have been buying autos.

I can say you can put the car in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd manually and it will hold it there permanently.

Last edited:

2012csgt

Established Member
now put a centri blower on it and really put a smile on your face.

:lol: AGREED.

For me it doesn't matter... Most of the time I just say go when your ready.. I'll follow. .... And then blow past em. :burnout:

squeak93

Established Member
To roll race you have to either punch it and wait for the slow ass down shifts or hold the gear manually and wait for the slow ass up shifts.... I prefer to hold manually as I'm getting good at timing my up shifts so it doesn't red line.

Bud

Established Member
Hard downshifts like this are the best part of the auto. When I first got my tvs on I must have done 20 downshifts the first day and it made me giggle every time. 45 to 50mph, mat it, and it just pins you in the seat.

zemog255

Established Member
To roll race you have to either punch it and wait for the slow ass down shifts or hold the gear manually and wait for the slow ass up shifts.... I prefer to hold manually as I'm getting good at timing my up shifts so it doesn't red line.

Or you can just drop the gear down manually then once you hit it put it back in drive and you dont have to worry about timing it or shifting any slower. On my 13 I just put it in sport mode and drop down to gear I want

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
The ratios aren't the same. No manual (non gt500) is running 120mph in 3rd. Half of what I like about it so much is the chorus as the RPMs rise with no shift change.

Yeah, but 3rd and 4th pull incredibly well and that is an easy shift. Just very rewarding to bang 2-3 perfectly timed downshifts, mat the throttle and make one full on shift on the way to the top of 4th, which is closer to 130 on my 3.31 car.

Mike

Bmr4life

Established Member
Or you can just drop the gear down manually then once you hit it put it back in drive and you dont have to worry about timing it or shifting any slower. On my 13 I just put it in sport mode and drop down to gear I want

Does sport more let you lock 4th gear also or just 1-3?

Users who are viewing this thread