I test drove a '19 Genesis 3.3T G70 today - Impressive!!

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
What a sharp car. I was having a discussion with a co-worker the other day about vehicles. We both talked how Hyundai and Kia have came along way in the past ten years. The Genesis brand has good looks too. Good luck Bob and keep us posted on what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
You should have put it in sport mode. It completely changes the feel of the engine. I have the Kia 4 cylinder turbo and when in sport mode it is a different driving experience while accelerating, and the turbos feel more alive.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
Just wondering here. What would be the reason you guys would pick the Genesis over the Stinger?

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Just wondering here. What would be the reason you guys would pick the Genesis over the Stinger?

Genesis wants to be the next MB or BMW of South Korea so their dealerships treat you just like a VIP. And also if anything did go wrong with the vehicle they would keep at it until it was fixed right or make it right to you.

Hyundai if your Stinger was sent into for service you would be lucky if you got a Forte as a loaner, where as the Genesis would probably give you the closest thing that you owned as a loaner, unless it's like what the OP posted that only 400 was being made, then it would be the closest same model or a step above.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is it not a Hyundai?
Genesis is to Hyundai what Acura is to Honda. You probably know that. That said, Hyundai is no longer a questionable build quality vehicle. Anyone wondering about how good the Genesis G70 really is should read the COTY article/review in Motor Trend. And then actually drive one. It's the real deal, superior in every way to the BMW 3 Series. Genesis' goal was not simply to equal the 3 Series. They wanted to exceed it. Goal accomplished!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I know you're familiar with the Hyundai as your wife had an Azera, so you know what to expect. For me, the Edge would be most practical, followed by the G70 and then the Challenger. With the Edge, you already have a MyCal tuner and get free tunes for it, so that's a plus. The G70, you won't see them nearly as much as the other two (IMO) and it certainly looks like a nice place to be. The Challenger is the best retro ride out right now and that 6.4 Hemi growl... daaaamn! Tough choices!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow that thing is HOT!! Do it Bob!

What’s MSRP on that beauty?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
The MSRP ranges from $34,900 to $51,500 depending on the trim/package level, and whether you go with standard RWD or AWD. A middle ground G70 3.3T Advanced AWD goes for $45,750 MSRP. By comparison, a '19 Edge ST MSRP ranges from $40,200 to $51,655, with middle ground options goes for around $49K MSRP. So you can see why the Edge ST is looking less and less of a smart pick for me. Dollar for dollar the Genesis 3.3T AWD G70 gives me so much more. Except equal storage space, of course.

G70 is a really nice car.

I'd have one over the stinger.
The Stinger is built on the same platform but overall is several inches longer, giving you a bit more rear seat room. The Stinger is also heavier. Most important, the Stinger's interior is nowhere near the quality of the Genesis. Since they sticker at a similar price, it's (for me) a no brainer to walk by the Stinger and remove it as a possible choice. JMO though.

madscotsman

Established Member
That's a sharp looking car. My wife has had two KIA Optima's (both the SX model fully loaded with every bell and whistle) before her current Audi. The KIA's were both really nice with many options missing from her Audi but the steel used in the KIA's and Hyundai is paper thin. You can tell when you push on it or shut the doors, they just feel like balsa wood. I wonder if the Genesis brand uses the same thin steel in their cars?!!? Must be some form of cost savings.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You should have put it in sport mode. It completely changes the feel of the engine. I have the Kia 4 cylinder turbo and when in sport mode it is a different driving experience while accelerating, and the turbos feel more alive.
Next time I drive a G70 I'll try the Sport mode. The Comfort mode just felt so "right" that I didn't feel a need to try a different Mode. I usually use Sport mode in my Edge for the improved throttle response, because in Normal mode it's honest disappointing. In it, Sport mode is for me a necessity.

I know you're familiar with the Hyundai as your wife had an Azera, so you know what to expect. For me, the Edge would be most practical, followed by the G70 and then the Challenger. With the Edge, you already have a MyCal tuner and get free tunes for it, so that's a plus. The G70, you won't see them nearly as much as the other two (IMO) and it certainly looks like a nice place to be. The Challenger is the best retro ride out right now and that 6.4 Hemi growl... daaaamn! Tough choices!
I have the Livernois tuner for my Edge, but it's not transferrable to an ST. I already checked on that. I'd prefer on my next vehicle to not use a tuner, and instead keep it stock. The ST without a tune isn't going to feel much different than my Edge Sport, acceleration wise. Not so with the G70. It pulls strong and on the street it's plenty. The Edge has more storage space but I'm the only one that drives it and rarely use the space I have now. So an SUV isn't all that important for me, but I do agree overall the Edge is more practical. I just have a problem spending that much coin on a vehicle that lacks so much of what the G70 offers. The Challenger wouldn't be practical at all in the winter, so that's a big negative. Driving the Scat Pack in good weather would be a hoot, for sure. For me, the G70 fits in-between the two. Not quite as practical as the Edge but more practical than the Challenger Scat Pack.

I've got time to make my final decision, so that's a big plus. I'm not rushed in any way.

That's a sharp looking car. My wife has had two KIA Optima's (both the SX model fully loaded with every bell and whistle) before her current Audi. The KIA's were both really nice with many options missing from her Audi but the steel used in the KIA's and Hyundai is paper thin. You can tell when you push on it or shut the doors, they just feel like balsa wood. I wonder if the Genesis brand uses the same thin steel in their cars?!!? Must be some form of cost savings.
I can only tell you that the driver's door felt very solid when I closed it, and the car overall felt really solid. I would bet the steel thickness is greater in the Genesis. Here is a blurb form the WSJ about another Genesis model. "Hyundai has also put a lot of equity into high-strength steel, as compared with aluminum construction; and the numbers look good. Hyundai claims the Genesis chassis torsional and bending stiffness now exceeds that of a BMW 5-series."

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Bob that’s a good looking car and they seem like they’re getting solid reviews.
I went back to a sedan from an SUV because I’m just a car guy I guess.
Any chip upgrades like on your ST?
I was curious about the G70 when I heard it's available with a manual 6-speed... but only on the turbo 4-cylinder.... or I would have considered looking at the V6 w/ manual transmission option.

To me, on paper, I could save about 10K & just go with an Accord 2.0T Sport in a 6-speed manual option instead....
My co-worker just picked one up. Had to special order it to get a manual (he upgraded from a ‘14 Accord Sport with an NA 2.3).
He’s a car guy and we’ve modded his ‘84 GT, so while it’s not big power, the 2.0T really makes it a fun DD. I was impressed with the car especially for the money. I’d definitely recommend it, especially if it responds to a tune like he hopes.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
To play devils advocate, my Hellcats a blast in the snow with quality snow tires. Not sure how much longer these muscle cars will be around, drive them while you can :)
-J

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Dt2rwC.gif

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I have the Livernois tuner for my Edge, but it's not transferrable to an ST. I already checked on that.
Hold the phone here! You're saying if you returned yours to stock, they won't give you tunes specifically for the '19 Edge? When the heck did that happen?

F it. Get the G70.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hold the phone here! You're saying if you returned yours to stock, they won't give you tunes specifically for the '19 Edge? When the heck did that happen?

F it. Get the G70.
Yep, that's what I was told. The person I talked to one the phone a couple of months ago specifically said that the tuner is transferable to a new owner of my '16 Edge Sport as long as it wasn't being used on a newer Edge, but it can't be transferred to a new (Edge) vehicle because the device that I have is not compatible with newer Edge models. They would offer me a $100 discount on the new device.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob that’s a good looking car and they seem like they’re getting solid reviews.
I went back to a sedan from an SUV because I’m just a car guy I guess.
Any chip upgrades like on your ST?

My co-worker just picked one up. Had to special order it to get a manual (he upgraded from a ‘14 Accord Sport with an NA 2.3).
He’s a car guy and we’ve modded his ‘84 GT, so while it’s not big power, the 2.0T really makes it a fun DD. I was impressed with the car especially for the money. I’d definitely recommend it, especially if it responds to a tune like he hopes.
-J
Hey James! I'm not aware of any tune upgrades for the G70, but honestly I wouldn't do it anyway. I wouldn't want to take the chance of voiding my warranty. If it were, say, a Scat Pack or Mustang GT maybe I'd want more muscle, but the G70 is a luxury sedan with high performance, but not a hot rod if you know what I mean. I can only imagine how much more fun my test drive would have been had I selected Sport mode.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I’d bet. A nice luxury ride is great for a DD especially if you can flip a switch and have more fun.
Let us know what you get and what your dealer experience is like with Genesis. Looks like they’re ready to take the next step to differentiate from Hyundai.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread