i think traction control killed my motor

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Yes John did a great job, but he also was very limited on money too. In order to get those rods he went with a much cheaper weaker piston in the 03/04 cobras. It was a give and take much like the SVT with the shelby project.

SVT Shelby ended up using a weaker rods, but stronger pistons. Also ended up with a 5.4 over the 4.6. And a 2.1L blower vs 1.8.
Yea i can understand that.His vision went beyond just the Mustang.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Cylinder pressure greatest at peak torque or a high boost TVS builds great mid range torque so between that and the potential that traction or stability control caused some ignition cut or changes in cylinder pressure at peak torque ranges could have easily bent or broke a rod.
Any holes in block? Pulled the plugs yet?
-J

Cobra Therapy

Established Member
Sorry to hear about what happened OP, unfortunately at that power level anything could have happened, especially shifting so high. Hopefully the heads are ok and you can just replace the bottom end.

What all did you have done to your GT500 to make that power?

If Ford had put better rods in the 5.8 it would be a 1000whp engine all day, but it's still a strong engine all things considered.
That is true,the 5.8 is still a strong engine.Like i said,there are plenty out there with a stock bottom end with a blower on them pushing 900hp to the tires.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
That is true,the 5.8 is still a strong engine.Like i said,there are plenty out there with a stock bottom end with a blower on them pushing 900hp to the tires.
Very true, it's all about respecting the RPMs and good fuel. Keep it at 6k WOT shifts and E85 and should be ok.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
OP admits to beating the shit out of his motor at a power level well in excess of what is considered safe on stock guts. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Lol I was actually thinking the same thing, but Lund racing definitely tunes the GT500s safe. It's all in the tune.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Lol I was actually thinking the same thing, but Lund racing definitely tunes the GT500s safe. It's all in the tune.
Depends, Lund allows for customers input on aggressive and conservative tuning. Without seeing logs we can not say how the OP tuning was.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Depends, Lund allows for customers input on aggressive and conservative tuning. Without seeing logs we can not say how the OP tuning was.
Very true, they will turn it up big time if you ask them to, me personally I told them keep it conservative on E85.

Crazyredsvt

Established Member
Cylinder pressure greatest at peak torque or a high boost TVS builds great mid range torque so between that and the potential that traction or stability control caused some ignition cut or changes in cylinder pressure at peak torque ranges could have easily bent or broke a rod.
Any holes in block? Pulled the plugs yet?
-J
i believe there is a hole cause oil was all over the passenger side header. and im going to pull plugs in the morning so now I'm on a mission for 4 digit RWHP i want to to be in the 1200-1300 ball park on blower

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's true to a point. But even with a "safe" tune, abusing the motor/pushing it to its RMP limits consistently is eventually going to have a detrimental effect on the motor.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Yea if u were just getting into it at 4k amp I dont see it just "Failing". These motor are extremely stout and to hardly be rolling into it and then TC comes on and suddenly u have an issue I would certainly be suspect of the TC.

Well, guess its time to go big now lol

i really feel traction controll was the problem. it didnt go over 4k rpms when it let go

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
OP admits to beating the shit out of his motor at a power level well in excess of what is considered safe on stock guts. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did.

OP doesn't have a 13/14
Give him 2 weeks, he will be back with

"New built 1500rwhp motor eating oil after hitting speedbump at Hardees drive through"

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
upload_2021-4-13_7-18-32.png
Hmmmmm. Hmmmmm.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

lol. Yep.. just like OP.

The rods on this motor and the condor are a joke in factory form. Ford knew it too, which is why the dash doesnt allow 7000rpm "red line" until the car is fully warmed up.

Because of these shitty rods, the bottom end is weak and to add insult to injury, the motor is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. OP, you just made a $20k+ mistake im afraid.

Smart way to be a high power 07-14 gt500 owner is to replace rods immediately. Factory pistons are forged and very strong... leave them alone. Spend a thousand bucks on quality rods, pull motor, install them enjoy 7500+ rpm shifts and done.

Dont chance it.

Users who are viewing this thread