Inception

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
I grew up knowing that a goober is slang for penis.
Calm down ladies, it was a joke.

MLMike25

Established Member
Saw this movie last night... completely amazing... as for the two people above that didn't like the movie or thought it was too confusing... maybe you should actually pay atention to the plot lines instead of stuffing your face with popcorn and goobers. Seriosly this is one of the best movies ever.

Anyway, back on topic.

A "good movie" is a matter of opinion. In MY opinion, it was a decent movie, but not the mind-blowing bullshit everyone is making it out to be.

Also, you ASSumed that I waste my money on expensive-ass movie concessions. ;-)

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Anyway, back on topic.

A "good movie" is a matter of opinion. In MY opinion, it was a decent movie, but not the mind-blowing bullshit everyone is making it out to be.

Also, you ASSumed that I waste my money on expensive-ass movie concessions. ;-)

Ok, you are entitled to your opinion as incorrect as it may be;-)

What are your top 3 favorite movies of all time?

MLMike25

Established Member
What are your top 3 favorite movies of all time?

Sorry, not gonna help hijack this thread by bringing in other movies. But I just don't keep ranking lists like that.

I'm the same with music. I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan, but couldn't give you a top 3 list of favorite SW songs.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
******WARNING. SPOILER BELOW******

so lets get down to brass tax. what do you guys think the ending meant? I think it meant that his wife was right and he was still in a dream. Then a loose end would be why his wife doesn't just wake him up.

bigdog93lx

Gallons per mile
Established Member
Who said the totem didn't fall... I guess you didn't get that part.

I thought it was a really good movie, mostly because I haven't seen a good movie come out in a couple years. Anyone who says it was a decent movie probably got your hopes up way to high before you even went to see it.

so lets get down to brass tax. what do you guys think the ending meant? I think it meant that his wife was right and he was still in a dream. Then a loose end would be why his wife doesn't just wake him up.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member

My opinion is below but highlight to view. I don't want to give spoilers to those who don't want it.

I think that it could mean one of two things. The first has to do with the scene with the old man. They were talking about a leap of faith, or in other words a "kick" in order to get back to the real world. Thing is we never saw either of them do a kick to get back. We can assume that by reaching for his gun that was going to be the "kick" to get them back as that would also be the "leap of faith" they have to take. Because you will remember that if they died that many levels deep they would be lost in limbo. Interesting part about this scene was it appeared in the very beggining, about 10 minutes into the movie.

So here is my theory based upon the above, Leo's character has been in Limbo for an unknown amount of time. The entire movie was based on his dreams in limbo. He is stuck in a dream that is replaying over and over and over again for eternity. They had briefly talked in the movie about the brain repeating images and scenes and scinarios randomly in dream sequences. So with the scene with the old man repeating twice it would tell me that he has lived this entire dream(the entire movie basically) at least once before.

My second theory is that there was just not enough time to fit in them doing a "kick" to get back(old man and Leo) because the movie was already over 2 hours long so it got cut. He did ride that kick all the way back through all the levels to the real world. Its hard to believe though because his real world is so dream like. L.E. agencies always chasing him but never quite able to catch him, one man has the power to stop the U.S. federal law enforcement agencies from arresting him, all with one phone call made on the plane. I need to see the movie again though. I'm trying to recall a scene where he woke up from a dream and then pulled out his top in the "real world" and spun it. Trying to remember if it fell on its own or not. If it did then he should have been in the real world. Going to see it again in a couple days.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Sorry, not gonna help hijack this thread by bringing in other movies. But I just don't keep ranking lists like that.

I'm the same with music. I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan, but couldn't give you a top 3 list of favorite SW songs.

I created the thread so you wont be hijacking from me because I'm asking you. If this was not that great of a movie I want to know what you think is a great movie.

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
SPOILERS BELOW!

Here is the post I read on another board that does a better job of explaining it:

The idea of 'Inception' is to be a story crafted in the architecture of the mind - Cobb's mind. What people perceive to be real isn't necessarily so, because the mind can make things appear to be as real as ever. An important thing to remember is the start of the film. Dom Cobb wakes up in a place that we later find out to be limbo – more importantly, Saito's limbo.

What happens next is something that is meaningless the first time a viewer watches the film. Saito is seen handling Cobb's totem (which was a top that he took from Mal while in limbo). At first, this is meaningless. Upon a second viewing, the viewer should realize that everything that happens after this scene (the jump cut to Cobb's attempt at extracting information from Saito, and so on) is something much deeper.

Saito promises to give Cobb the one thing that he wants, and that's to find the way back home. How does he convince Cobb to do this? He tells him to "take a leap of faith." This is another line that goes unnoticed at first. On a second viewing, the viewer should remember that line as something that Mal told Cobb when she jumped off of the building. Is the picture becoming clearer yet?

Cobb seems to appear wherever he needs to go, whether it is Paris, or Mombasa, just like it were a dream. While in Mombasa, Cobb gets chased by anonymous agents (which he perceives to be Cobol agents) through a fantastic action sequence where Cobb escapes the dream-like narrow tunnel and is rescued by none other than Saito. A bit later, Cobb and Saito visit Yusef who brings them into a basement with various figures connected to the dream machine. The idea was for Cobb to experiment with the deep sedative. He does, and when he "wakes up" he tries to use his totem only to be interrupted by Saito. Cobb never does find out if he is in the real world or not. In fact, he hasn’t been yet. He’s been in limbo ever since he got there with Mal. Ever since then, he's been going deeper and deeper to the point where he created Saito as a projection to help him "get back home" - Did you really think Saito can just pick up the phone and make murder charges disappear? No. But, Cobb believes it and thus Saito is used to thrust Cobb further and further into a state of limbo – where at the end of the journey, Cobb truly believes he is with his children after confronting and getting over his projection of Mal.

While in the limbo, Cobb, using Mal's totem, put the idea in her head that she was in the dream world. She was, she just hadn’t realized it yet. What the viewer forgets is that all knowledge of limbo comes from Cobb's character. To think that Cobb is 100% accurate about it is absolutely wrong. He wouldn't know dream from reality – not in the limbo that he describes to people – and definitely not if inception were performed on him to believe that limbo truly was the real world.

Mal and Cobb never really left limbo at least, not that layer of it. When Mal jumped off the building, she gave herself the very same "kick" that Ariadne improvised later on in the movie. Mal was right about still being in the dream world. Cobb was still engulfed in limbo and didn't realize it. When Cobb and Mal had killed themselves with the train, they simply moved one layer deeper just like Saito did when he was killed, Fischer did when he was killed, and so on (this happens again at the end of the film when Saito picks up the gun in front of Cobb).

Cobb, deep in limbo, unknowingly uses the projections of his team to keep going deeper and deeper until the idea of inception is performed on his mind, and he truly believes he was able to find a way back home. Saito's promise to Cobb was kept - in the form of Saito (a projection from Cobb) making sure that Cobb ended up in limbo, so that he could live his "life" with his kids (who are in the same position as they were all throughout the film).

The team were projections in Cobb's mind the entire time. It's how he was able to go to Miles in Paris and find an architect named Ariadne (a name which comes from a Greek mythology story about a labyrinth) who improvised the "kick" at the end of the movie the same way that Cobb had seen (but not accepted as a dream) Mal do previously when she jumped off the building. It's how Eames happened to know of Yusef, and so on and so forth. Everything Cobb needed to make this inception work happened to work out for him. It's even how Cobb's lawyer knew so quickly that Mal had gone to 3 different shrinks to be declared "sane" and how he happened to have two tickets for Cobb to be able to get out of the country before the police would have arrested him.

The movie ends with Cobb appearing from place to place, going from limbo with Saito, to the plane where Saito magically makes one phone call to free Cobb from his problems, to walking through the airport, to meeting Miles who is with Cobb's children. Cobb spins his totem and it spins just like it was a dream. He fixes his eyes on his children and the totem begins to lose speed – this is because inception has worked – Cobb truly believes he is in the real world. His totem will not spin like it did in the dream, not as long as he has his kids. The title of the film is now shown to us, making complete sense because the title was really Cobb's journey through his own mind: INCEPTION

Sonic_GT

Established Member
Spoiler Below********************

Doesn't Cobb retrieve Mal's totem from the safe while they are in the dream world? If so, how is it that Cobb can wander in and out of dream state with it? I think that Mal was trying to tell Cobb that there was no way out and tried to give him a message with the totem. Notice that he told everyone to choose their own but his didn't choose his. He took Mal's. Its kind of strange that he tells his team members not to touch the totems, maybe because if they get ahold of his and spin it, it won't stop and they will realize that they are his projections. I don't remember Cobb's totem falling throughout the movie. If Cobb was more familiar with inception and the process, why was it that Mal came up with the totem idea?

Last edited:

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
highlight to read: ^^^doesn't his totem fall in the restroom scene? He woke up from a dream (can't recall the actual dream) and is spooked and rushes to the restroom and tries to spin the totem on the sink and it ends up falling to the ground...am I right?

blackonblackGT

Established Member
As usual, I'm the voice of opposition on this movie.

It was a decent movie, but it absolutely was not worth the amount of slobbering that I've been seeing. I've heard it described as "a combination of James Bond and the Matrix, but 10x better..." and "... it will change the way you watch movies this year..."

None of the above. When I read those reviews, I knew I was going to hate this movie. I can see elements of JB and the Matrix in it, but its not as mind-****ingly awesome as everyone is making it out to be.

Finally someone said it. The movie was OK. Everyone is hyping it up to be an All-Time classic which it is not.

Sonic_GT

Established Member
highlight to read: ^^^doesn't his totem fall in the restroom scene? He woke up from a dream (can't recall the actual dream) and is spooked and rushes to the restroom and tries to spin the totem on the sink and it ends up falling to the ground...am I right?

Damn I can't remember. lol I think I'm gonna head to a matinee showing this week to look for all the details.

Sonic_GT

Established Member
Mystic SVT , googled it and this is what I found ****spoiler***

Seito interrupts Cobb’s test spin in the bathroom, RIGHT after he’s taken the super sedative in the chemist’s creepy basement.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Mystic SVT , googled it and this is what I found ****spoiler***

Seito interrupts Cobb’s test spin in the bathroom, RIGHT after he’s taken the super sedative in the chemist’s creepy basement.

:beer: **Spoiler**
but the thing now is that I can't remember if the totem actually spins and them falls, or as he is starting to spin it in his fingers to let it spin on the sink it just hits the sink and falls to the floor.
Damn this movie!

Users who are viewing this thread