Input on a 2014 GT500 Purchase

bpmurr

Established Member
I have an opportunity through a connection to get a loaded 14 GT500 for invoice. I have a 13 Boss and really enjoy it but have always been a Shelby/Cobra guy at heart. I'm just torn between holding onto my Boss and waiting to see how the 2015 pans out or jumping on the GT500 now and holding off until 16 for the (GT350, GT500, Cobra or whatever they call it). I would think the 13-14 GT500 should still hold it's value well even with a new Mustang or would values fall off a cliff like the 2012 GT500 did when the 13 came out?

Ultimately I know it's whatever I think is best for me but it's nice to have some input because I know a lot of you guys have the car bug and swap between new ones frequently.

Last edited:

jsdeweyusmc

Established Member
I know you received your 2010 GT500 about the time that I received my 2010 back in 09 and I will never go back to any other vehicle except for a GT500. I have already also had a 2012 GT500 and now a 2013. The 13/14's are totally differrent than any other GT500. This car is amazing. I did get my 13 at invoice price so you can save approx. 6 to 7k off MSRP. I don't buy any vehicle for any value except to enjoy it. I have about 22500 miles on it and loved putting all those miles on it. Come on back to the Shelby world.

Grabber07'

Established Member
Ive got a 2014 GT500 on order and wont look back. No one knows what the future holds, but the '13/'14 GT500 with the 5.8 Trinity motor looks to be a keeper.

reason4treason

Established Member
invoice is off-the-chain. damn near unheard of. for a loaded car, that's what? 6K below msrp? really, it depends how much $$$ you can afford to eat, and then predicting what that amount would be in the future.

for one thing, right off the bat, there's the sales tax, which is a friggin' chunk in most states. that's pretty predictable in most places though. personally, i try not to think about it too excessively because it kills the ether of the new car experience. it's just the cost of having fun and enjoying whatever it is in life that you truly enjoy. true fun sometimes gets underrated. but, if it's like 2 cars a year for example, and when you're contemplating another one and think that you coulda saved 6-8K or more, then hell yes it matters. if you even have to post this thread, it's because money is the prime factor here.

other factors to consider too. it'd seem you couldn't get hurt too bad on resale but without knowing what the future will bring, it just seems impossible to predict other than the fact that some people will just want a sledgehammer no matter how deft a scalpul Ford/SVT may build. so to some degree, there will probably still be decent demand for the 13/14. there's the age/mileage on the car if/when you resell it. and there's the tough-to-predict how well the new gen will be embraced, as well as how that interacts with the way some people may see the 13/14 GT500 as more/less valuable.

so what could the future bring most likely? a faster straight-line car? what's your guess? a faster carver? very likely, huh? you say your heart's with the snake. and i think you already know the reason for that.

my guess would be that aside from the same amount you'd lose on reselling any version of Mustang, there's the unpredictable new gen factor, and after that, it's really a matter of what the GT500 would be worth to you in terms of driving pleasure. personally, i'd have a hard time seeing 13/14 GT500 values plunge drastically but i don't have a crystal ball. it very much seems the case that there was a strategy to build loaded or nearly loaded cars at about an 80%+ rate and my opinion is that sledgehammer or not, there are only so many people who want a mid-60K Mustang and that will increasingly effect demand.

*when you take a drive in somebody else's GT500, how do you feel when you get back in the Boss? does it feel like you're missing a lot of whatever it is that you like? if so, how much would you be willing to pay for that? 10K? 15K? 20K? what do you think?

bpmurr

Established Member
I haven't had a chance to drive a 13 or 14 GT500 so I don't know what that experience is like compared to my Boss. My last GT500 was a 2011 with the SVT Package and I enjoyed it. I do like the raw nature of the Boss and how balanced it is. Unfortunately that raw nature can also be a curse sometimes because it's not the best daily driver during the Spring/Summer/Fall.

The only reason I'm even contemplating this is because of the deal I can get as I'm heading into the time of year I'll barely drive it. However, I have positive equity in my Boss and it brings strong trade value. Which also helps cut down on the 6% MD sales tax.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

Grabber07'

Established Member
I haven't had a chance to drive a 13 or 14 GT500 so I don't know what that experience is like compared to my Boss. My last GT500 was a 2011 with the SVT Package and I enjoyed it. I do like the raw nature of the Boss and how balanced it is. Unfortunately that raw nature can also be a curse sometimes because it's not the best daily driver during the Spring/Summer/Fall.

The only reason I'm even contemplating this is because of the deal I can get as I'm heading into the time of year I'll barely drive it. However, I have positive equity in my Boss and it brings strong trade value. Which also helps cut down on the 6% MD sales tax.

Decisions, decisions...

I dont think you can lose. Positive equity in the BOSS, you've enjoyed it and feel its time to move to something different for daily driving, and you have a great deal found in the new Shelby.

I say go for it.

bpmurr

Established Member
I dont think you can lose. Positive equity in the BOSS, you've enjoyed it and feel its time to move to something different for daily driving, and you have a great deal found in the new Shelby.

I say go for it.

That's kind of the way I'm thinking.

Trubble

Established Member
As a new owner of a '14 GB GT500, I am really enjoying it! Some say "too raw" but I feel it's just right for a driver who wants performance.

I am damn glad I jumped on the deal I found. Go for it!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
At invoice its a no brainer, very few have that opportunity and I'd highly recommend the GT500.
-J

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure you have driven a 13/14 GT500 before you do anything too brash.

As a new owner of a '14 GB GT500, I am really enjoying it! Some say "too raw" but I feel it's just right for a driver who wants performance.

I am damn glad I jumped on the deal I found. Go for it!

If anything, I've heard nothing but the fact that the Boss' are a lot less refined than the new Shelbys...

Test drive one man, I'd hate to see you jump on a new car you don't like the feel of.

bpmurr

Established Member
Make sure you have driven a 13/14 GT500 before you do anything too brash.

If anything, I've heard nothing but the fact that the Boss' are a lot less refined than the new Shelbys...

Test drive one man, I'd hate to see you jump on a new car you don't like the feel of.

I'll probably drive the one I'm going to buy. What sucks is the SC doesn't kick in right away and I don't want to put many miles on it in case I don't buy. At this price even if I only kept it for a one year I'd probably at the very least break even.

1FASFKR

Established Member
Fact

Traded my 12 RR Boss for my 14 Ruby Red GT500. Miss the 3.73s but I can add them to the Shelby anytime. SOOOOO HAPPY with the Shelby.

bpmurr

Established Member
Fact

Traded my 12 RR Boss for my 14 Ruby Red GT500. Miss the 3.73s but I can add them to the Shelby anytime. SOOOOO HAPPY with the Shelby.

Nice to hear from a former Boss owner that switched over. What made you decide to make the switch?

reason4treason

Established Member
have you done a search to see if there's a used one at a dealership someplace reasonably close to you that you could take for a spin? I just did a search on cars.com for 21201 zip code and in a 250 mile radius there's 20 of them listed.

bpmurr

Established Member
have you done a search to see if there's a used one at a dealership someplace reasonably close to you that you could take for a spin? I just did a search on cars.com for 21201 zip code and in a 250 mile radius there's 20 of them listed.

Not a bad idea.

Users who are viewing this thread