Inside an abandon high school built in 1936

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
This weekend myself and two friends decided to go out and have a good photo session with our cars since the weather was flawless. The previous weekend we had found an old abandon high school about 10 minutes outside of town where my good friend had just moved too. So naturally we had to go back. Of course pictures of the cars were quickly overshadowed by the realization that there was a way into the building. What’s remaining of Charlottesville high school, built in 1936 is falling apart. The building has been on fire before and been empty since 1969 when the last year of school was ever held there. At one point there was an attempt at someone turning the huge building into an apartment complex, but either funds ran out, or they discovered the building was much worse than they anticipated.

We spent about 20 minutes inside and explored the bottom and second floor, some of the second floor rooms had already collapsed and fallen so we definitely had to tread lightly. It’s definitely just one of those breathtaking things to see all the history and old things that have been left behind. I snapped quite a few pictures with my Nikon and just left them in their original state to capture the true state of everything inside. We plan to hopefully go back in the future and explore the rest of the building as we’ve only covered about a quarter of it.

DSC_0778.jpg

DSC_0813.jpg

DSC_0788.jpg

DSC_0805.jpg

DSC_0782.jpg

DSC_0822.jpg

DSC_0828.jpg

DSC_0831.jpg

DSC_0832.jpg

DSC_0837.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg

DSC_0864.jpg

DSC_0848.jpg

DSC_0843.jpg

DSC_0853.jpg

DSC_0841.jpg

DSC_0857.jpg

DSC_0863.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Congrats on your new lung problems from the asbestos! Lol nice pics.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Pretty neat to see old, abandoned buildings like that. Too bad the rooms aren't in better condition to appreciate high school "back in the day", for us old timers. Be careful in there. Was it hard to get in?

I noticed a couple of neat, period items. Radio Flyer wagon. 2-seater bike.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
The first time we found it the weekend before it was actually about 8:30pm, it was just me and the guy with the blue Karmann Ghia and all we had was an Iphone flashlight. We were searching for another small old building when we saw this back off the road, we were so blown away by how it looked we were walking around the whole building. On the backside there was a big hole that looked like some of the building had just fell apart. We stood there for a few minutes thinking about it and we did go in there, not very far because we just couldn't see anything. We climbed the stairs and saw the gym and old stage and realized that we had to go back the next weekend. At night its unbelievably creepy, straight out of a horror movie feel lol

And definitely a little crazy to go walking around in a place like that with the condition it's in but then again no cool stories ever come from not doing something lol I'd imagine a lot of that stuff hasn't been salvaged probably because there aren't to many crazy people who will go in there. All the cool stuff was on the second floor, so if people did go in they probably didn't go up there! Even in the middle of the day without a cloud in the sky in the deep center of the building it was pitch black when we turned off the LED's we were using.

We are sort of conflicted about taking the stuff, part of you just wants to leave it there because it's almost like that should be it's final place. But on the other hand, we'd like to have it to restore it and hang on to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread