Installing a Rotating Assembly

cstone94

Established Member
I'm about to pull the trigger on MMR's Forged Manley Rods/Piston Combo for my 14'. Also going with the billet oil pump gears, ARP Head Studs, MMR/Felpro Head Gaskets and all other required gaskets.

I know that the coyote has the thin-wall iron sleeves but I will not be re-sleeving my block because I don't plan to make over the 1000+ HP the rotating assembly is rated at. Because of these sleeves, do the walls need to be honed at all? My motor only has about 7000 miles on it.

Also, MMR offers the 12.5 compression for nitrous use, I have a NX plate kit already, I know 12.5 is really high to be driven on the street, and will likely need a 110/93 mix if not strictly race gas, but do they offer a 12.0 compression piston?

I'll be pulling the motor out in the next week and will update along the way.

4VFTW

Established Member
why not ask MMR about the hone? with 7k miles your cylinders should look real fresh but good engine builders like a specific hone for a specific ring and the piston require a min bore clearance also. fyi the block has no iron sleeves , the cylinders are spray lined

Last edited:

CPRsm

MMR offers custom pistons for the same price. I'd ask them about your piston to wall clearance if you go 1-2 thou over. Idk about Manley pistons. Some pistons are say .027 over, and meant to go in a .030 hole. Some are .030 meant for a .033 hole, all called 30 over. So if Manley are big slugs you can home to break the glaze and straighten the cylinder and buy off the shelf. If not just wait on a custom piston

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
why not ask MMR about the hone? with 7k miles your cylinders should look real fresh but good engine builders like a specific hone for a specific ring and the piston require a min bore clearance also. fyi the block has no iron sleeves , the cylinders are spray lined

NO they are a thin iron sleeve.

cstone94

Established Member

FYI, http://www.mustangandfords.com/part...tang-gt-50-coyote-engine/the-short-block.html

Page 5. This is a link of off Ford Racing's Crate Engine 5.0 Coyote, so yes, THIN iron sleeves, you can even see them in a picture of a bare block.

As for asking MMR, I've emailed them with in depth questions, just wanted to see if anyone has done this first hand other than a shop.

cstone94

Established Member
MMR offers custom pistons for the same price. I'd ask them about your piston to wall clearance if you go 1-2 thou over. Idk about Manley pistons. Some pistons are say .027 over, and meant to go in a .030 hole. Some are .030 meant for a .033 hole, all called 30 over. So if Manley are big slugs you can home to break the glaze and straighten the cylinder and buy off the shelf. If not just wait on a custom piston

I will definitely be asking them about clearances and ensuring everything is correct when installing this, as well as a local builder. Do you happen to know if the forged kit is balanced to a coyote 302 crank or will it need to be balanced?

draxxus131

Established Member
It will need to be balanced. The only time you don't need to balance is when purchasing a complete kit with crank included. Or when your purchasing a rotating assembly from Ford.

cstone94

Established Member
It will need to be balanced. The only time you don't need to balance is when purchasing a complete kit with crank included. Or when your purchasing a rotating assembly from Ford.

Yeah I was considering, for a short period of time, the boss rod/piston combo but i wanted something a bit beefier and read that the combo was pre-balanced. Thanks for the reply!

grnenvy

Established Member
Call MMR ring seal equals PWR as for the 12.5 Comp IMOP to high for a daily driver but if u can get E85 u should be good.
Also with the Manleys being Forged slap is very common and getting the clearances perfect is a must. I'm not sure if I would go that route for a couple more bucks I would go the short block unless u can have a machine shop measure your cylinders.
I have a MMR motor and a very happy customer.

Grabberblumaico

Established Member
Op, Have you ever decided what block you are going with? Are your plans still going forward?? WTF? Maybe MMR will finance you..Seems like no one else will..

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
I'm in the same boat as we speak , got my 2011 GT short block gonna put forged pistons and H-beam rods in with the block bored 5 over. Got ARP hardware for the whole engine, ATI balancer , ported the heads, Cyl head cooling mod, billet timing chain gear MMR, billet oil pump gears MMR. Went with Wiesco Forged pistons and K1 H-beam rods. Haven't heard of many people using them in th coyotes but my buddy said they make good parts?? Anyone got any feedback to back Wiesco's products???

BlueSmokem5.0

Established Member
Just got back from TNT Race Engines in Illinois, went with a close friend to pick up his new race engine so we took my short block for some new Forged K1 H beam rods and Wiesco Forged pistons. My engine had 24,000 miles on it and mant nitroius passes. When we put the block in to hone with the torque plate on it everything was very round still and looked great if I could have would have ran a ball hone through it and slapped std size pistons back in and called it a day!!!
IMG_20140620_220459312.jpg

Screenshot_2014-06-20-20-41-49.png

Screenshot_2014-06-20-11-51-04.png

IMG_20140619_234302040.jpg

Last edited:

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Just got back from TNT Race Engines in Illinois, went with a close friend to pick up his new race engine so we took my short block for some new Forged K1 H beam rods and Wiesco Forged pistons. My engine had 24,000 miles on it and mant nitroius passes. When we put the block in to hone with the torque plate on it everything was very round still and looked great if I could have would have ran a ball hone through it and slapped std size pistons back in and called it a day!!!
IMG_20140620_220459312.jpg

Screenshot_2014-06-20-20-41-49.png

Screenshot_2014-06-20-11-51-04.png

IMG_20140619_234302040.jpg

Is that an SV10 cyl hone? (It's white like the one I ran). Those are really nice with a high force cone head and diamond stones.

slagburn

SVT Crazy Poster
Established Member
Interesting pics, the guy I deal with always has a head bolted to one bank while using the torque plate on the other. Overkill?

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
Not sure what model but it was sunen had some awesome functions where it would pause on the high spots and it did use a set of $10K diamond stones.
Sounds like it's a Sunnen SV10. We didn't pay but about $500 iirc back in 09 for Sunnen supplied diamond stones. The sv 10 itself was no more than 40k.

Going from a CK10 with oil solution to an SV with a fat/water solution for better cooling, diamond stones for better less wear and better cutting action evenly...just a badass cyl hone. NASCAR quality....

Last edited:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The torque plate shown in those pictures are too thin for a coyote and do not accurately reflect the block in its fully preloaded state, the reason is the torque plate shown is thinner than the stock heads. We have seen additional distortion up to .0005 when the thin plates are used, we have found the thicker torque plates are far better and ultimately lead to better ring seal. This engine shop and others out there should consider the MMR full deck torque plate, they are the same exact thickness as the stock heads and do not require any spacers etc as the ones shown in the pictures above. They are available for purchase or rent:

torque%20plates.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread