Intercooler pump not working

CobraMac

Established Member
So I have the whipple installed and everything is great. I started it up last night and everything was working fine and the intercooler pump was running. I know my battery is going and isn't too strong anymore because my car has just been sitting for the past like 8 months (while I've been at college). So I came out this morning and actually had to use jumper cable to start it because the car was dead. Well I let it run for a little bit and no problems...but I don't hear the IC pump kick on. So I open up the resevoir, and nothing...the fluid is just sitting still. I let it run for a little longer and still nothing. So I take turn off the car and try to jump it and still nothing. The IC pump isn't even making a sound. I checked to see if the relay was getting voltage and it was. I also checked all the fuses. Does this mean my IC pump went out?! Could anything else be ther problem!?

Mind you the reason I was leaving this early was because I was supposed to go to my tuner and get the whipple tuned today!! :bash:

Silverboost

Established Member
did you try using the jumper on the relay to see if it came on? Worse case scenario run down to Ford and pick up a new one to put on. It's a quick and easy install to replace one.

CobraMac

Established Member
Yah I tried that. I just called my tuner and he is pretty sure it just needs to be burped. He told me to drive it down to him and he would do it. I just can't get into boost on the way he said.

03Mach04Cobra

GO HOKIES!!!
Established Member
Where is the 10amp fuse located!? - My pump isnt running either.....tried the jumper wire and get nothing........Want to check my fuse before getting a new pump, but not sure which one it is

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Where is the 10amp fuse located!? - My pump isnt running either.....tried the jumper wire and get nothing........Want to check my fuse before getting a new pump, but not sure which one it is

it's the 10 amp fuse located in the engine compartment fuse box (PDB) on the left side

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Here are the terminals to jump... and make the pump run.. if anyone was wondering.

mjmro8.jpg

Last edited:

TRD1

Just another Cobra
Established Member
I dont even know my own car. I thought we had an air to air intercooler:shrug:. How do our intercoolers work? I have been a turbo owner most of my adult life so this is kinda new to me:rolling:.

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
air to water with a pump that circulates it through the intercooler that is under the blower and back out to the heat exchanger to cool it with air passing across the fins

AaronK

Established Member
I've burped the intercooler system a few different ways. Take the top hose off the intercooler res and suck on it until it flows (you get a mouth full of coolant this way) and then just connect the hose back. Be ready to add coolant to the res, it may go down quickly.

The other way (the way I prefer) is take the top hose off again, put your left thumb over the end and pinch/squeeze the hose creating suction until coolant comes out.

I’m not the greatest on giving directions so if any of that didn’t make since, feel free to ask questions.

res0n0xg

Established Member
I had the exact same problem with mine not flowing at all. A purging of the system cleared it right up.

xenodragon

Established Member
I've burped the intercooler system a few different ways. Take the top hose off the intercooler res and suck on it until it flows (you get a mouth full of coolant this way) and then just connect the hose back. Be ready to add coolant to the res, it may go down quickly.

The other way (the way I prefer) is take the top hose off again, put your left thumb over the end and pinch/squeeze the hose creating suction until coolant comes out.

I’m not the greatest on giving directions so if any of that didn’t make since, feel free to ask questions.

Wouldnt jumping it be the easiest?

Users who are viewing this thread