iPhone 8 & 10

quad

Established Member
My house is in a weird spot. The only carrier that I've tested here that gets at least 2 bars is Verizon. Go out onto my driveway and the signal jumps to 4-5.
We have an ATT Microcell in our basement and we get great coverage throughout the house. Without it I can't make phone calls in the rear of the home. I tried Wifi Calling but it really was not as reliable as the Microcell.

The only issue with the Microcell is it can be a pain to get it up and running again after even a split second power outage.

A friend of mine told me the Microcells are bad for your health and wants me to place it in the attic.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We have an ATT Microcell in our basement and we get great coverage throughout the house. Without it I can't make phone calls in the rear of the home. I tried Wifi Calling but it really was not as reliable as the Microcell.

The only issue with the Microcell is it can be a pain to get it up and running again after even a split second power outage.

A friend of mine told me the Microcells are bad for your health and wants me to place it in the attic.
I actually had a Microcell (actually THREE of them - all were provided at no cost to me) when I was with AT&T for a year and a half. Like yours, mine was in my basement near my office window. Without the Microcell I had less than 1 bar. With the Microcell, 2-3 bars. But, the first two Microcells failed after only about 2 months of usage each. Like you said, it was a pain in the butt to keep it up and running. Out of the blue it would suddenly stop working and I'd have to re-start it. Sometimes it would like over an hour to get it back up. I finally told AT&T that I wanted out of my contract. They said 'no', not unless you pay the early termination fee. I said, "bye bye". It was worth it to swallow the pain of the ETF just to be free of AT&T inability to provide me adequate coverage without having to use a secondary device that frequently shut down. It the Microcell would stay up as well as my router and modem does, I'd be happy. But unfortunately, that's not the case. :(

My Verizon coverage is fine most of the time. I rarely drop a call. Fortunately. LOL. I do use wireless calling, which for me works pretty good.

As we become more and more dependent on cellular (we ditched our land line), up time and signal strength do become factors of importance.

You mentioned that the Microcell might be a health hazard. I just did a Google search on that and the concensus seems to be that there hasn't been enough studies done to confirm the potential microwave dangers from Microcells. So I guess if it is even a small concern for you, I'd move it to another location that limits exposure. Like your attic. But again, there's not a lot of evidence either way, just concerns over "potential" health risks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think the screen is bigger on the X but overall the phones smaller.
Here are the actual size comparisons. The iPhone X has a (mostly) edge to edge screen, of course.
iPhone 7 - .......5.44" X 2.64" 4.7" screen (diagonal)
Iphone 7 Plus - 6.23" X 3.07" 5.5" screen (diagonal)
iPhone 8 - .......5.45" X 2.65" 4.7" screen (diagonal)
iPhone 8 Plus - 6.24" X 3.07" 5.5" screen (diagonal)
iPhone X - .......5.65" X 2.79" 5.8" screen (diagonal)

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
I owned a Note 7 and because of that I was able to get a Note 8 for $450 after trading in my S7 Edge. Love this phone. By far it is the best I have owned, and the photos are DSLR good.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
So the X is pretty much an S8? All jokes aside, at least they finally gave what some people wanted.

I love the fast wireless charging on my S8 and always use it at work.
IMO the iPhone 8 looks to be a more worthy upgrade than the overpriced X. $150 for just the OLED screen? If its not better than the HDR higher res OLED S8 screen, then that’s ridiculous.

Im very interested in the camera for the iPhone 8. Despite what the reviews would say, IMO the 7s camera looks better overall than my S8. The S8 took much better pics at night vs the 7s and thats about it. Does the iPhone 8 come with the portrait camera as well? I really want that feautre on the S lines, its pretty bitchin!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
So the X is pretty much an S8? All jokes aside, at least they finally gave what some people wanted.

IMO the iPhone 8 looks to be a more worthy upgrade than the overpriced X. $150 for just the OLED screen? If its not better than the HDR higher res OLED S8 screen, then that’s ridiculous.

Im very interested in the camera for the iPhone 8. Despite what the reviews would say, IMO the 7s camera looks better overall than my S8. The S8 took much better pics at night vs the 7s and thats about it. Does the iPhone 8 come with the portrait camera as well? I really want that feautre on the S lines, its pretty bitchin!

Apple can't control what samsung charges them, and thats why apple is investing with LG to manufacture their own.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

No, portrait mode is for the 8+ and X only.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

I agree with the picture thing.

My buddy's 7 plus takes the best pictures I've ever seen on a phone. Even better than my gf's Pixel which I was very impressed with.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Apple can't control what samsung charges them, and thats why apple is investing with LG to manufacture their own.
Hope this ultimately lowers the cost of OLED tvs.

That's the only TV I can consider an upgrade right now in terms of picture and I'm not paying over $1000 for a tv ever.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
It should definitely help with iPhone costs anyways. All the TV manufacturers are working on lowering the cost for OLED.

Unfortunately I don't think the next gen iPhones with OLED will drop below 1k regardless of material costs. I think the iPhone x will prove there are more than enough people who are willing to pay 1k for an iPhone.

I recently bought a 65" 2016 Samsung 4k hdr led tv for 1k

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
so i guess i'm the only one on the site with a dumb phone? I rather spend that $1,000 on apple stock.

While my phone isn't a dumb phone I'm rocking a Galaxy Note 3, lmao. Not sure when I'll "upgrade" but even then it'll be to like a Note 5 or something.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
iPhone 6 Plus here. Bought it new 2 years ago and no plans to upgrade anytime soon as it does what I need. I use it primarily for work anyway.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It should definitely help with iPhone costs anyways. All the TV manufacturers are working on lowering the cost for OLED.

Unfortunately I don't think the next gen iPhones with OLED will drop below 1k regardless of material costs. I think the iPhone x will prove there are more than enough people who are willing to pay 1k for an iPhone.

I recently bought a 65" 2016 Samsung 4k hdr led tv for 1k
I don't want to derail this thread but I sit too far back to make use of 4k vs 1080p. The only real benefit I see is HDR, but even then, the OLED LG's are ****ing killer. It's the blacks that get me.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't want to derail this thread but I sit too far back to make use of 4k vs 1080p. The only real benefit I see is HDR, but even then, the OLED LG's are ****ing killer. It's the blacks that get me.

All of LG's OLEDs are HDR. IMHO HDR is well worth it if you get the right standards. I believe Dolby vision is the best and compatible with all of them, there are some "lesser" standards that are good, but will be less widespread in use.

My samsung is pretty good. There is a little bit of blooming, but its not noticeable for the most part. I really only notice it when the roku logo is dancing around the screen due to inactivity since its all black except for a white logo.

Zemedici

Established Member
Can't preorder it for like 6 weeks so...

well way to ruin my shit talking, Kevin.

Typical Californian.

But for real, Pre orders for Verizon open up Tomorrow, and i'm on the list.

Currently have iphone 6, and elligible for upgrade as well as $250 credit, so meh why not.

Users who are viewing this thread