iphone, extra gb's worth the cost?

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
If you can hold off till the summer iPhone 5 is supposed to drop around that time. Unbreakable/unscratchable glass case, 4g and some other now stuff.

If you gotta do it now either get the $49 dolla job or just upgrade to the 4. The other 3's are a waste of money when you can get the 4 for similar dolla. Also 16gb is plenty IMO

The iPhone 5 is going to be pretty radical. Funny thing is alot of feature that are going to be coming out for the iPhones of the future are all very common sense kinds of things. TV directly to your phone with the ability to know what channel your TV at home is on, set parental controls etc right from the phone. Video conferencing is on the horizon as well. Right now the iPhone 4 allows face time, meaning you essentially Skype with another iPhone 4 user. The iPhone 5 will expand on that allowing you to face time with multiple users at the same time. Pretty neat.

Apple is also branching out into the medical field. Imagine your iPhone taking your insulin level and giving you the exact amount of medicine that you need. Or taking a reading of your blood and telling you if you have been poisoned and what the antidote is for that poison. Then sending that information directly to your doctor or hospital.

Last edited:

stangposse

Established Member
:shrug: Nothing I can do for you, then. Enjoy your slow processor, small screen, limited functionality, and training wheels.

I'm going to be over here, using my over-complicated piece of garbage to do some tethering. Maybe later I'll use it to watch some flash video content over a 4g connection.

My buddy says the same thing to me all the time.

Really???? I'm still trying to figure out why I would ever need to do any tethering??? There are so many free wifi connections around me that I can smell them!

As far as watching video on my phone...well....if that day comes then it means the I'm jobless and homeless cuz it seems to me that when I'm looking to watch any video, I either have my 60" HD TV, my laptop or my dual 24" HD monitors at work to watch any video. I use my phone all day long as it is, I can't wait to put it down when I can.

These features you mention are cool and all, but they aren't that important to 98% of phone users if you ask me. Maybe if somebody lives/works in total exclusion, then those functions become necessities.

Beyond talking, email and texting, there is always a much better alternative then what a cellphone has to offer....that goes for camera/video, music, browsing, software, and gaming......I feel sorry for anyone trying to solely use a cell phone for all of those things cuz even if they have the best phone ever, they're still doing it wrong!!!!

LaFlavor

Established Member
My buddy says the same thing to me all the time.

Really???? I'm still trying to figure out why I would ever need to do any tethering??? There are so many free wifi connections around me that I can smell them!

Last weekend I was staying in a hotel that wanted to charge me $10 a day for their internet. Instead, I tethered for free. Saved $30. I also use it in airports frequently, since so many of them want to charge for wifi.

As far as watching video on my phone...well....if that day comes then it means the I'm jobless and homeless cuz it seems to me that when I'm looking to watch any video, I either have my 60" HD TV, my laptop or my dual 24" HD monitors at work to watch any video. I use my phone all day long as it is, I can't wait to put it down when I can.

Again, it's mostly useful for traveling. Tho, I admit, sometimes I watch shows at work. Don't worry, I'm also working, but sometimes I just don't feel like listening to music.

These features you mention are cool and all, but they aren't that important to 98% of phone users if you ask me. Maybe if somebody lives/works in total exclusion, then those functions become necessities.

Beyond talking, email and texting, there is always a much better alternative then what a cellphone has to offer....that goes for camera/video, music, browsing, software, and gaming......I feel sorry for anyone trying to solely use a cell phone for all of those things cuz even if they have the best phone ever, they're still doing it wrong!!!!

The point of a smart phone is to be able to do all this with one device. There are certainly better cameras out there, but for 90% of my photos, I don't need an SLR camera, and I don't want to carry it around with me. Same with listening to music, watching video, gaming, etc. Yeah, there are better devices, but when I'm on the go, I don't want to carry all that around with me.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
Both my son and I get along with the base 8gb model, but if you want to load it down with apps and capture lots of photos/videos, the extra RAM could be useful.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
I'm going to purchase a Atrix Full retail just to screw around with. I'm really interested in the performance.

Also can't want for the 5.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I'm going to purchase a Atrix Full retail just to screw around with. I'm really interested in the performance.

Also can't want for the 5.

If you could cut me a deal on the phone, contract, and laptop dock, I'd jump to AT&T for it in a heartbeat. :lol::lol:

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
so about the storage:

OP do you have an iPod now?

no I dont. never caught on to the ipod trend (if you cant tell from the lack of upgrading my phone) not to mention I was one of those people that hated having to pay for every song I downloaded. while I love music the radio normally works great for me except when I am doing a workout.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have the 16G Iphone and I still havent come close to using all of my memory

When I had my 3G iPhone it was a 16gb, and like you it was plenty for me. Unless you intend to store video and lots of music/image files then 16gb is plenty. Otherwise go with the 32gb phone.

The iPhone 5 will be interesting once we find out exactly what new features will be included.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
If you could cut me a deal on the phone, contract, and laptop dock, I'd jump to AT&T for it in a heartbeat. :lol::lol:

Yeah I got tired of retail so I split. Otherwise I'd hook myself up.

no I dont. never caught on to the ipod trend (if you cant tell from the lack of upgrading my phone) not to mention I was one of those people that hated having to pay for every song I downloaded. while I love music the radio normally works great for me except when I am doing a workout.

So then the 16 should be enough. People with iPods are the ones that usually go for the 32.

I have a 32 and I have around 25 gig on it at all times with apps, movies and stuff.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
I've had the 8 gig 3g for over 2 years now. Never got close to filling it up, but I also have a 30 gig iPod that I store all of my music on.

Looking at my iTunes I have 6.22 gigs of music and thats 1226 songs.

Really the only thing that could possibly take up a lot of space would be storing video.

I'm eligible for my upgrade and I'm debating over the Atrix, iPhone 4 or waiting until the 5 comes out.

Is there a release date on the 5?

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I've had the 8 gig 3g for over 2 years now. Never got close to filling it up, but I also have a 30 gig iPod that I store all of my music on.

Looking at my iTunes I have 6.22 gigs of music and thats 1226 songs.

Really the only thing that could possibly take up a lot of space would be storing video.

I'm eligible for my upgrade and I'm debating over the Atrix, iPhone 4 or waiting until the 5 comes out.

Is there a release date on the 5?

Sometime in July.

Some rumors are that it will support full 1080p HD recording, that in itself can use up space fairly quick.

I also heard the base model will be bumped to 32gb and there will be a 64gb model available.

Supposedly Apple is working on smaller, cheaper versions of the iPhones too.

Apple Said To Be Working On Smaller iPhone | TechnoBuffalo

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
so the more I read it looks like the ip4 with 16gb would fit my needs. now trying to convience myself that I need to hold off till july for the price drop. I know we will not have 4g service in our area for some time. hell they only recently got 3g. and I dont get any 3g at my house, only when I drive into the surrounding towns.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Honestly get a droid. free apps, and all of em have memory expansion ports for micro sd cards. I had a verizon iphone for 3 days and went screaming back to my almost year old droid. The iphone is just a gateway to getting you to spend tons more money.
As for 4g, yes At&t will have it to market first but as we all know, the first one out is usually less refined.
Honestly, before jumping goto a kiosk and check out the phones from diff carriers and see what exactly it is you want from a phone.
In my neck of the woods, if you don't have verizon, yer SOL.
AT&T blows ass around here. Dropped calls, limited service, the lot.
Hence why I abit biased, but I'm sure if the carrier quality in my area was the other way around, so would my opinion.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I wouldnt even worry about physical storage past 16gb.

I put 2-3gb on my iPhone (3Gs) and now I dont even listen to my stored music anymore, been just streaming di.fm or pandora through a $20 iphone connector to my cars stereo or when its on my office stereo dock.

never caught on to the ipod trend (if you cant tell from the lack of upgrading my phone) not to mention I was one of those people that hated having to pay for every song I downloaded.

Umm, there's nothing forcing you to pay for music to be stored on any apple device.

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
Honestly get a droid. free apps, and all of em have memory expansion ports for micro sd cards. I had a verizon iphone for 3 days and went screaming back to my almost year old droid. The iphone is just a gateway to getting you to spend tons more money.
As for 4g, yes At&t will have it to market first but as we all know, the first one out is usually less refined.
Honestly, before jumping goto a kiosk and check out the phones from diff carriers and see what exactly it is you want from a phone.
In my neck of the woods, if you don't have verizon, yer SOL.
AT&T blows ass around here. Dropped calls, limited service, the lot.
Hence why I abit biased, but I'm sure if the carrier quality in my area was the other way around, so would my opinion.

AT&T pretty much rules this area so its them or no service. sure if you go into town then its better but I want to be able to talk when I am at the house. not to worried about the 4g as this area usually doesnt get the updates very fast.

LaFlavor

Established Member
AT&T pretty much rules this area so its them or no service. sure if you go into town then its better but I want to be able to talk when I am at the house. not to worried about the 4g as this area usually doesnt get the updates very fast.

Tough to say. Just remember that if you're buying on contract, you're most likely locked in for 2 years. A lot changes in that time.

Users who are viewing this thread