iphone, extra gb's worth the cost?

BadMoFo

Get Some!
Established Member
well was out running errands and stopped in the store to see all the phones in person. after looking and talking went ahead and got the ip4 16gb. now just to figure out how to use everything. what apps I will need, how to get a ringtone, jailbreak, ect?

boatcop1

Established Member
well was out running errands and stopped in the store to see all the phones in person. after looking and talking went ahead and got the ip4 16gb. now just to figure out how to use everything. what apps I will need, how to get a ringtone, jailbreak, ect?

Congrats on your purchase, i think you will enjoy the ease and simplicity of the iphone. Dont jailbreak your phone, you will void the warranty and its really just not worth it. I wouldn't pay any mind to all the Droid flag wavers. Last week a buddy and I were at a bar and he challenged me to a Shazam competition. He has the Droid X (or DVD case, i call it!) and I have my little ole 3GS. Both of us had full 3G signal. when we both hit shazzam i beat him by close to 6 seconds. He was pissed. so then we switched to wifi and my little ole 3gs put the smack down again. :rockon: I couldn't believe I was actually excited about a stupid challenge like that but it was funny to see him get all butt hurt.

The Void phones are cool for sure but I am very happy with my 3GS.
:beer:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
Ive had over 1000 songs and 40 apps on my 8gb 2g and came within 1.5 gigs of filling it up. I dont think you need all that memory personally unless you just have to have it to have it for some odd reason. My iphone 4 doesnt have all that music on it anymore but it still has a ton of room left. No reason to go over 16gb

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Dont jailbreak your phone, you will void the warranty and its really just not worth it.

How so?

Last time i checked jailbreaks are still 100% reversible.

If it bricks during the process theres no way for them to tell, since you would return the phone to the apple store and they would either A) flash it back to stock, or B) call the phone done if they couldnt fix it there, hand you a new one and send that one back to the factory as dead.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know the new Verizon iPhone 4 can't use their 4G-LTE network, but does anyone know if the upcoming Verizone iPhone 5 is supposed to run on that 4G-LTE network?

LaFlavor

Established Member
I know the new Verizon iPhone 4 can't use their 4G-LTE network, but does anyone know if the upcoming Verizone iPhone 5 is supposed to run on that 4G-LTE network?

Nobody knows for sure yet. Pretty much anything you hear about the 5 at this point will be rumor or speculation.

rust0r

Established Member
It's scary how much misinformation this thread has in it.

I would without a doubt say 8gb is too small unless you plan on using your phone as a phone, and not a media device as well.

8GB - operating files, etc is more around 6GB of usable space (if not less), depending on what games/apps you use, you might not have much room for music (or the other way around). My 32GB comes out to 29.1GB of usable space to give you an idea of how that works, I imagine the 16GB would have 13ishGB of usable.

Here are my stats:

32GB:

Songs: 2,524
Videos: 0
Photos: 545
Applications: 115

Available space: 11.9GB (Used 17.2)

(If you want, I can plug in my phone for exact space usage details)

My audio has been trimmed down to 128kbps to save on space. Using the "convert audio to 128kbps ac3" option in itunes through your iphone tab. I found I reduced the size of my "audio" storage by about 33% give or take, definitely helped massively on space savings. Of course, if you don't have high bitrate audio files to start (most of mine are 192/256), this won't do anything.

Keep in mind, just because you've survived on the same simple phone for 4 years, doesn't necessarily mean you won't get the iphone/a smart phone and want to start doing tons of stuff with it.

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member

I would without a doubt say 8gb is too small unless you plan on using your phone as a phone, and not a media device as well.

8GB - operating files, etc is more around 6GB of usable space (if not less), depending on what games/apps you use, you might not have much room for music (or the other way around). My 32GB comes out to 29.1GB of usable space to give you an idea of how that works, I imagine the 16GB would have 13ishGB of usable.

Here are my stats:

32GB:

My audio has been trimmed down to 128kbps to save on space. Using the "convert audio to 128kbps ac3" option in itunes through your iphone tab. I found I reduced the size of my "audio" storage by about 33% give or take, definitely helped massively on space savings. Of course, if you don't have high bitrate audio files to start (most of mine are 192/256), this won't do anything.

Keep in mind, just because you've survived on the same simple phone for 4 years, doesn't necessarily mean you won't get the iphone/a smart phone and want to start doing tons of stuff with it.

This.

I have about ~2,500 songs, none of which are compressed, though they range from 128kbps-320kbps and they take up just about 15 gigs. My collection is actually fairly small, so unless you plan on not syncing all of your music (PITA with Itunes), or you don't have a large collection, then 16 gig really isn't enough, especially with the size of iOS apps.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member

Here are my stats:

32GB:

I use my 2G daily for my ipod and apps that dont require me to get online and it does just fine. Its a 8gb one. I have over 750 songs (not 0ver 1000 like I thought earlier in the thread) on it and a good bit of apps. I have over 300 pics on it. Its doing fine. I dont know why everyone thinks they have to get such big gb phones. I checked it this morning and I still have 2.5gb left, pretty good if you ask me

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I had an iPhone 3G with 8gb and it was just fine. I had about 50 apps. No storage issues at all. Also had around 30-40 photos. But no songs. So it can be done rather easily. Just depends on what you're going to use it for. I had no need to store songs or video on my iPhone 3G so 8gb was plenty.

The iPhone 3Gs comes with either 8gb, 16gb or 32gb. I'd get either the 8gb or 16gb. The iPhone 4 isn't available with 8gb. Either 16gb or 32gb. For most users 16gb for the iPhone 4 should be fine.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Congrats on your purchase, i think you will enjoy the ease and simplicity of the iphone. Dont jailbreak your phone, you will void the warranty and its really just not worth it. I wouldn't pay any mind to all the Droid flag wavers. Last week a buddy and I were at a bar and he challenged me to a Shazam competition. He has the Droid X (or DVD case, i call it!) and I have my little ole 3GS. Both of us had full 3G signal. when we both hit shazzam i beat him by close to 6 seconds. He was pissed. so then we switched to wifi and my little ole 3gs put the smack down again. :rockon: I couldn't believe I was actually excited about a stupid challenge like that but it was funny to see him get all butt hurt.

The Void phones are cool for sure but I am very happy with my 3GS.
:beer:

Different networks? And that also varies with location.
Theres places where my gf's blackberry gets boatloads of service and I get none. But around here Verizon is a must. Like I said, this varies with location. So in your area it could be a totally diff story. Reption also has alot to do with hardware. Andriod is just software... Linux with java , really....

rust0r

Established Member
I use my 2G daily for my ipod and apps that dont require me to get online and it does just fine. Its a 8gb one. I have over 750 songs (not 0ver 1000 like I thought earlier in the thread) on it and a good bit of apps. I have over 300 pics on it. Its doing fine. I dont know why everyone thinks they have to get such big gb phones. I checked it this morning and I still have 2.5gb left, pretty good if you ask me

That is my point exactly, you are as I described above, someone who uses its capabilities lightly. You might listen to it every day as an ipod, or play angry birds constantly, but the actual data you store on the phone isn't anything substantial.

My apps alone wouldn't fit on an 8GB, I don't go crazy with apps or games, but it's nice not to have to constantly swap apps for other apps depending on what I'm in the mood for that week. I can leave TomTom on there and not worry about it (1.6GB alone). Combine that with some of the more graphically intense games (300-800mb each, Real Racing, NFS, Infinity Blade, etc), and it isn't hard at all to surpass 8gb in apps.

I'm not saying NO ONE should have an 8gb smart phone, however the trend with media is it's getting BIGGER in file size, not smaller (thus no 8gb being offered on the iP4). So unless you are someone who is going to get rid of their phone in 6 months, or don't plan on changing up your usage, I would opt for the larger one if you are on the fence about it. I have numerous friends who jumped on the 16GB iP4 when they came out because that was what the store had in stock, and now they are kicking themselves.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Andriod is just software... Linux with java , really....

Wrong. Try having a UI (iOS) that determines where your icons go, unless you jailbreak and place tons of blank icons that simulate you being able to control how you interact with your phone. Let's not even get started with the interactive widgets that iOS seems to be afraid of, lest its weak hardware be exposed for what it is. Not to mention developers that don't have real hardware access.

Here:

[youtube_browser]ahIGIiamscA[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]s7meLDTl_8Y[/youtube_browser]

^ And my myTouch 4G is rooted and overclocked to 1.85GHz stable with smart scaling that actually ends up giving it more battery life. I can also switch and update my custom ROM using an app that I bought from the Android App market.

Oh, did I mention that you can search for and install apps directly from the web version of the market? https://market.android.com/

After you select your Google registered phone from the list, the download starts on your phone in literally a second after you click.

Users who are viewing this thread